cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay help needed please

N/A

eBay help needed please

Am bidding for a laptop for a friend. Have bid £9 more than the highest bidder and I have an email that says I am the highest bidder.
However, the website shows that I have bidded but not the amount i.e. it shows my bids but at the same level as the previous highest bid when I first entered into the process. The highest bid is shown just the same as it was.
Never had this before. Can someone say what is wrong please?
Wondered if it was something to do with the previous high bidder using automatic bidding but if this was the case, why I have I been informed that I am the highest bidder? Hope this makes sense.  Huh
27 REPLIES
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: eBay help needed please

Do you have a link?
(I'm not in the market for a laptop) Cheesy

N/A

Don't mind giving the link - if I don't win it, it's not the end of the world.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fujitsu-Amilo-Li-1818-Laptop-17-160Gb-1gb-NEW_W0QQitemZ120460462733QQcmdZViewI...
I already have one of these although it has an 80GB hard drive and this one is 160GB.
The seller lives a couple of miles up the road from Plusnet Towers so it is dead easy for me to collect if I win it.
My friend wants a lappy and with a 17" screen it should be OK for her so this is why I am trying to get it.
I am wondering if I should do the automatic bidding thing because last time I tried to get an item for my brother I waited until it was nearly ended and kept entering a higher price but as fast as I entered it just kept going up so I lost out.
Not 100% sure how much it is worth anyway.
I know that ours cost £299 from Staples (on offer) about 18 months to 2 years ago.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

It says the most recent bid was at 30-Aug-09 11:32:51 BST
With 4 days to go, it will be quite a lot higher than that though.
It says it's a
Private Auction Listing
A listing in which the user IDs of bidders are not displayed to others. When a private auction listing ends, the seller and high bidder are notified through email. Sellers may want to use this option when they believe that potential bidders for an item may not want their User IDs disclosed to others.

N/A

Yes, I know that it will be quite a lot higher and I have a figure in mind but why hasn't my bid been added? It still stands at £56.
Is this to do with it being  a private auction? I'm sorry but I don't understand. If I send an email to eBay it will take a day or so to get a reply.
I am wondering if I should just put in an automatic bid for what I think it is worth to me?
Community Veteran

This seems odd. With 4 days to go it may make sense to email ebay and ask them to explain. Please let us know as I'm interested.
Community Veteran

poppy, the higher amount represents the most you are willing to bid.  it will only go up to that amount if someone else bids up to it.
for example, i recently bid £7 on something and for a long time it showed 99p because i was first bidder and no one else had joined in.  if no on had joined in by the end of the sale, even though i had bid £7, i would have got the item for 99p.
N/A

Thanks for that artificer - what a complicated business it is.
Not sure if I will get the item as I have to consider what my friend can comfortably pay.
PS artmo - funnily enough, I e-mailed them about this matter a couple of hours ago. Not had a reply back but then don't expect one for at least a day, based on previous communications with the company.
Community Veteran

Artificer,  Surely if you are right then you would still expect to see yourself as the highest bidder?  Poppy says it is still showing the level of the previous highest bidder. Huh
Community Veteran

Poppy, decide what you want to bid / what you are prepared to pay for the laptop, say for example £150
The highest bid is currently £67 and it says place a bid of £69 or more.
Place a bid and enter your upper limit figure £150. This is your maximum bid. The highest bid (yours) will appear at £69 (as I type)
If someone bids say £75 it will tell them they have been out bid and to try again. So if they bid £80 t will say again they have been out bid. This is because your maximum bid has not been beaten yet. This will continue until someone bids more than you £150 and then they will become the highest bidder
nadger
Rising Star

I've recently bid on a few laptops on eBay.
Didn't get any of them as they all went for more than my £230 max bid so bought a new one for £300 from Ebuyer.
With a few days to go I can see this laptop shooting up in price in the last minute.
N/A

Thank you for the comments. Have received a reply from eBay:
Thank you for writing to eBay. I appreciate the chance to assist you in
explaining why you were winning the item at £56 (though you bid £65)
It's because of automatic (proxy) bidding. When you place a bid,
we ensure that you're winning the item at minimum (possible).
We saved £65, & we ensure you win item less than £65. The only occasion
we increase your bid upto full £65 is when other competitive bidders bid
high amount.
Example #
Another bidder bids £60, than we'll increase your bid from £56 to £61 to
ensure you win.
To learn more about automatic bidding, please visit the following link:
http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/buy/automatic-bidding.html
I trust the information provided useful. Do let us know, if you have
more questions or need further assistance.
Also received a reply from the seller about what he expects it to fetch so now I have an idea as to where to pitch the price.
I agree that it will shoot up at the last minute and I am not at all hopeful.
nadger
Rising Star

Have you looked at argos-clearancebargains on ebay. They've got quite a few laptops.
N/A

Thanks for the advice - I will check. It's a funny thing when a new laptop can be had for very little more than a second-hand one.
I think that this one will probably go for between £200 to £250 but we shall see.
Community Veteran

Poppy, on Dell's site you will find some of their refurbed models. Also depending on your budget, Staples are advertising Laptops under £300 at present.