cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay annoyances

Highlighted
Rising Star

eBay annoyances

Last weekend, I decided to sell something to get some money together for a new TV.

Yesterday evening, I had a few questions asked from a guy who was clearly tire-kicking (he wasn't bidding).

This morning, I saw two bidders get into a bidding war and drove the price up.  Then a few minutes later, both bidders withdrew their bids.  And now the previous high bidder also withdrew their bid. So the price is now lower than it's been all week.

Most of the time eBay is straight foward, I just hate it when it's not and people go and have to spoil things.

Pete
17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

Re: eBay annoyances

What would they want to act as they did; people with grudge against seller, maybe?

Just one thing I bought via Ebay a s/h Zyxel router, that so far is working well, but I am not sure of using it at all

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Like shilling the practice of bid shielding, its opposite, is rampant on some items.

Bid the price up to put legit bidders off then withdraw near the end to get it at a bargain price.

There's even a police auction member on ebay that engages in obvious shilling. Maybe they think they are exempt from illegal activities like a lot of their real world members.

That and all the bugs and mess ups on the site make it pot luck whether as a buyer you get a good deal or as a seller get a good price. That's if anyone can even see the item to bid on it

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 18

@Crunchie wrote:

This morning, I saw two bidders get into a bidding war and drove the price up.  Then a few minutes later, both bidders withdrew their bids.  And now the previous high bidder also withdrew their bid. So the price is now lower than it's been all week.

Most of the time eBay is straight foward, I just hate it when it's not and people go and have to spoil things.

How can you make a bid and then withdraw it?

If I was buying a fairly standard item, why not put a load of bids in for multiple items - and then withdraw all the bids for the more expensive items?

Why not just withdraw your item - out of pique?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Highlighted
Rising Star

Yes, you can withdraw bids if you pretend that you entered the wrong amount.

I've withdrawn the item now because the auction is trashed now.

I think what someone was trying to do was see what the maximum bid was of another user and decided they didn't want to go above that.  I have no idea why simply bidding the maximum you want to pay seems to be too complicated for some people.

Pete
Highlighted
Community Veteran

@VileReynard wrote: Why not just withdraw your item

That's probably a good idea. Even if any deliberate bid shielding hasn't happened, as a bidder I often look at the bid history and a lot of cancelled bids would start my funny business alarm off and I would pass and look somewhere else.

I believe if you cancel an auction on ebay with bids they will charge you a fee based on the highest bid. That maybe only if  you make a habit of it but with ebay who knows.

@Crunchie wrote:

see what the maximum bid was of another user

In the good old days, before ebay hid the id's, I would check a bidders previous bidding history and know with a pretty good certainty whether it was worth bidding against them.

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 18

If I use ebay, I go for the "fixed price" items and ask them if they'll accept a smallish discount - and they always have to-date.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@Crunchie wrote:

Yes, you can withdraw bids if you pretend that you entered the wrong amount.

I've withdrawn the item now because the auction is trashed now.

I didn't know that. Makes a mockery of bidding really. 

Very wise to withdraw the item as well.

I don't often end up bidding - although I've got one on the go at the moment Smiley. Usually if I decide the item is what I want and its priced Ok, I'd rather just buy it.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

If I use ebay, I go for the "fixed price" items ...

Conversely, when selling on eBay I always list my items using a fixed price.

I've also selected the option to refuse bids from buyers who have more than X amount of withdrawals in Y amount of months (or whatever it is).

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@RobPN wrote:

I've also selected the option to refuse bids from buyers who have more than X amount of withdrawals in Y amount of months (or whatever it is).

I sometimes wonder if any of that still works. When I used to check I would often see one or two refused bids in the list but lately the lists remain blank.

And one option is if the bidder has a feedback score of -1 or less. I know that doesn't work as I had a bidder with a feedback score of -2.

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

Actually I'm not sure myself if it still works.

I've just realised my previous post was contradictory - I said I always use fixed price so how would I know if that feature still works?  Roll_eyes

I haven't 'auctioned' anything for ages, although I think the feature worked when I did used to auction, but eBay seem to be constantly messing with the platform so who knows what works these days!

Edit: typo

Highlighted
Community Veteran

As far as I know the bidder requirements are for fixed price and auctions.

Yes I mainly used fixed price as I know the price I want.

Auctions I use mainly for junk. Though I am sometimes surprised by the end price. Not as often as I used to be though.

Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 4

It does work. One bidder on a lot of mine was refused 3 times automatically and banned from further offers on the item. I have seen people bid to find out what a reserve is set at and then retract them. I would think eBay should only allow a period of time, maybe 30 mins or so, to retract a bid to prevent them being retracted just before the end. Not sure any of it is really 100% legally binding, never heard of eBay suing anyone that didn't complete a purchase they made.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Not uncommon to see a lot of watchers and questions asked about a item you are selling only to find there are few if any bids for the item, I suspect many of those watching and asking questions may well be selling the same or similar item.

Purchased a BT Hub 6 recently from ebay.....photograph showed box clearly stating it was a Hub 6 what I got was the correct box but with a Hub 4, contacted seller...yes I will return your money but failed to do so, took out a complaint in the resolution centre and as it was not challanged got my money back, but what would have happened if he insisted it was a Hub 6 that was in the box ?

Fortunately my second purchase was a Hub 6.....that works well.

The key to ebay is never sell or buy anything expensive, there are a lot of scammers out there.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

The most annoying thing for me are buyers who treat the 30 day period as their own personal damage guarantee.

Or buy something expecting it to do something it does not. Google it you fools.