cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay annoyance

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

eBay annoyance

On 14th of this month I ordered an item from a seller on eBay which showed a uk location.
On the 15th I get an email to say the item has been dispatched so cannot be cancelled.
Today 25th October the item has still not arrived so check the email I got on the 15th and see that delivery can be any time between the 23rd October to the 10th November.
Contacted the seller only to get a email back informing me that the item was coming from Hong Kong and if it failed to arrive by 10th November  to contact them again.
Fortunately the item costs less than a fiver and is not needed urgently. But equally that might not have been the case.
I Suspect we may have discussed this topic on the forum before but personally I think it is highly misleading  to advertise a product showing the location of the seller in this country but the item being sent from another country without that fact being included in the page showing the advert.
I guess the feedback this seller will be getting will not be very positive
8 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: eBay annoyance

Same with Amazon.
Having found an item I wished to purchase on their site and checked out the marketplace seller as having a UK address.
When the item eventually arrived it was clearly delivered from China.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yeah... I agree with the original concept...that if it says an item is "located in UK"... then one would expect "next day" delivery by Royal mail...
however... I have noticed quite a few similar to yours...
First thing I do, is look at the number of sales the seller has...... if it is in the 2,000 type numbers and only 96% feedback score... I delve further...  
Double check it states the item is located in UK...
next go to the feedback and see what the last 3 months shows... and read the negatives.
then look at the delivery time... I wanted an item that was "supposed to be " location Portsmouth... and delivery date was 2 to 3 weeks... I contacted the seller via contact us to see if I could call and collect... he did not reply....   so he did not get my business.
look further down the sales sheet  bottom end .... left side .... and see if there is a "contact"  underlined and printed in blue... if so... this gives the "real" seller location and address...  
You can also go and look at the profile of the seller, and see what it says.
Quite a lot of genuine UK SELLER`s now blatantly advertise that fact... so you can just do a quick check on the seller location as above... but more likely to be true...
Community Veteran

I Should have done my homework but it was one of those impulse buys, It was for a couple of connectors that go into light bulb holders to allow a LED bulb to be used.
The Daft thing is we have a large CPC store just a few miles away which stock them and the price is only 20p more that what I paid on eBay
TORPC
Grafter

Does that not also break some sort of eBay's rules ?Huh
I have seen some that advertise FALSE compatibility for a certain item,
In this Example it is for a laptop (an Acer Aspire 8730G) & those in the know, knows that the (AS07B41) 11.1V battery will not be recognised by the Aspire 8730G which needs the (AS07B32 14.8V) to function correctly
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Battery-for-AS07B31-AS07B32-AS07B41-AS07B51-Acer-Aspire-7530G-7540G-7730G-...
Even the information on the battery itself does not mention the 8730G (might want to mouse over the image to zoom in & clarify)
One could argue that the picture is a generic & don' t necessarily reflect the end product, but still, the 8730G is mentioned (mis-leadingly in the tittle & @Least twice in the description)
In respect of UK sellers & the product coming from overseas (could possibly be drop shipping)
Fixes: 125

Similar thing with an Amazon order I placed last week.
No indication that it wasn't coming from a UK address and stated 'Usually dispatched within 3 to 4 days.'
The dispatch email received on 16th October stated that estimated delivery is between 29/10 and 18/11!
Not urgent but would be handy to have now and it was less than £5. Inconvenient, though.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

RobPN
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: gleneagles
I guess the feedback this seller will be getting will not be very positive

As the seller has been dishonest with you, why not be dishonest with the seller?
I know what I'd be tempted to do in similar circumstances - when the item has arrived, after 10th November inform the seller it hasn't arrived, and either claim a replacement, or better still, a refund (you can always say you're going to buy a similar item from a UK supplier to avoid a further wait).  Dishonest maybe, but that seems to be the name of the game with this particular seller.
In a similar vein, after a long wait my brother received an eBay item from HK which was not quite as described and did not perform as claimed in the advertising.  Rather than go through the rigmarole of sending the item back, he just told the seller it hadn't arrived and claimed a refund.  QED.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I've had the opposite! Something coming from China was actually delivered by RM, still took a couple of weeks though.
I have a mixed bag of deliveries from China, about 25% go missing, don't know if it is just misdelivered or what. I live in an Avenue, but there is a Street with the same name just down the road a bit, and I get their mail sometimes, I always resend it but wonder if they are keeping mine.
I also didn't receive a reminder for my dentist appointment, so when I was passing dropped in to check, they had sent me one in JULY and it never arrived.
Community Veteran

I ordered a real time clock for the pi from an ebay seller in china. They said it would be about 6 weeks.. fair enough at 99p lol but it never turned up. They said there was nothing they could do, it was a bad postal service at their end (despite advertising it as reliable) etc. Neutral left after they refunded me.
Now suddenly they wanted that neutral to be a positive because i obviously wasn't miffed enough to leave a neg so they offered to send me two if i changed my feedback asap. I agreed to change it once they arrived.. which they actually did. Unfortunately for them the period to change feedback had expired and thus i got two free RTC's lol.
Well.. if they will advertise a reliable postal service that they then claim is unreliable...
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!