cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

e-bay again

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

e-bay again

Anyone been in the position of having purchased something from e-bay that does not work for example a Radio/DVD player with the radio working but not the DVD.
Assuming it's bought from a private individual rather than a trader and bearing in mind e-bay is described as an auction site do you have any comeback ?
I Know you can open a dispute with paypal & e-bay whilst the matter is being looked into but how can they decide if it's the seller or buyer at fault ?
Anyone ever been in this position ?
NB: Many sites have a disclaimer which says goods cannot be returned.
24 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: e-bay again

Yeah.... usual thing is to contact the seller, and explain your problem, and ask them what they want to do about it.... then... if they say... tuff toast.... you contact the ebay resolution service... must be within 45 days of the purchase, or they will declare it a no go job.
I had a mini laptop, that the soundcard input (mic) stopped working after about a month... so contacted the seller, who got me on the phone with his "tech guy" to try a few keyboard fixes, but they did not work... so the seller said to send it back... ( I initially requested I send it back for a repair, replacement or refund).. got it back a couple of weeks later, and it was fixed.... seems it was Windows update overwriting a driver... even put a file on my desktop for me to fix it if it happens again...
Would suggest you use something like..." I bought this item from you in good faith, it has been working but has developed this fault ( name the fault)... please can I send it back to you for a repair,replacement or refund)... "  and see where it goes from that.....
Good Luck
Community Veteran

I'm with shutter on this one.  Give the seller a chance to rectify the problem.  If he refuses then contact ebay resolution.  The one problem with buying from a private individual is that they can simply close their account and you have no comeback.  What is their feedback score?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I've only had a small handful of problems, sellers always rectified it in all cases bar one. That odd one I did open a dispute for as the item wasn't as described and didn't have many of the things it was supposed to have. I gave up chasing it when it was obvious the seller was going to get canned by ebay anyway (the negatives were increasing by the day).
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

i bought a wee camera that was claimed to take a 16gb sd card, but which could only manage up to 8gb.  i contacted the seller, who couldn't have been more helpful, offering me another camera and don't bother returning the one i'd bought.  i got an excellent camera that had a better spec.
i've had a few bad deals and simply written them off, never dealing with that individual again.  some traders i've bought quite a lot from and most of my dealings with traders has been excellent.
it's always worth contacting the seller first when there is a problem.
Community Veteran

I always leave positive feedback when I've had a successful transaction.  Likewise if things haven't worked out well I leave negative feedback.  Feedbacvk is helpful to any future buyers IMO.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Thanks for the responses.  Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I'm with everybody else here, I have had a couple of "bad bits", one from a Chinese company (a psu that BLEW UP when I plugged it in, taking my 30A trip with it) they said not their problem, opened a PP case and got a full refund. A few years ago I bought an 8Gb SD card and it was a tweaked 2Gb one, opened a case and said I would not return it as it was fake and against the law to post, I got a full refund then as well.
With individuals most are ok, I got a twin dimmer switch once and one dimmer didn’t refund from seller, on another bits were missing and I was offered a full refund.
jockwav
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

I have been using ebay for years,contact the seller in the first instance & explain the problem & you would like to return the faulty item.
If they say they are not prepared to refund you after you return the item,then advise them that you intend to open a dispute.
You will find that ebay usually come down on the side of the buyer.no problems. Smiley
https://www.flickr.com/photos/james_bingham/
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

@jockwav,  I have to disagree slightly.
I agree that the seller should be contacted and the problem explained, but I would NEVER suggest that I want to return the faulty item.
The problem is that according to eBay rules, the BUYER is responsible for ALL return costs, unless the SELLER has indicated otherwise in their auction listing.  This applies even if the seller has sent you the wrong item, or they posted you a fragile Ming vase in a Tesco carrier bag that arrived smashed.
You should avoid ANY suggestion of sending the item back, because if the seller is unreasonable or insists you making an official claim, then they appear to be quite within their rights to demand that you return the item by recorded delivery and only refund you the original cost of the item - and then NOT refund your postage costs.
I think this eBay rule is to protect the seller, because it is not unreasonable for the seller to expect proof of the problem before issuing a refund, and therefore returning the item provides the proof, and the cost of postage both ways has been shared by buyer and seller.
To avoid this eventuality, I tend to send digital photos of the fault to the seller as preemptive proof that the problem is genuine, and that I am not trying to pull a fast one, by demanding a refund and keeping the goods without good reason.
Having said that, most problems that I have experienced have been quickly and fully resolved by the sellers.
On the odd occasion where the sellers have known their rights and stuck to their guns, I have had to return items at my expense for a refund, but lost the cost of return postage - despite my considerable and repeated protestations !.
Community Veteran

last week I had to return a DVD.  The seller provided a freepost address to me and I had the original package that the DVD came in, so no hassle at all.
jockwav
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Nobody is talking about return postage,i know the buyer is responsible for return costs,as said i have been buying & selling on ebay for years,i have lost count of the disputes i have been through with some really bad sellers.
I will bet you any money ebay will always see if you & the buyer can work it out then you just open a dispute.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/james_bingham/
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
The one problem with buying from a private individual is that they can simply close their account and you have no comeback.

I have had this several times, but have immediately opened an eBay/PayPal dispute and got a full refund, because under this circumstance the buyer has no reasonable means of resolving the issue as the seller has become uncontactable through the official channels.
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
NB: Many sites have a disclaimer which says goods cannot be returned

The eBay Returns Policy Guidelines says -
Important: Even if you specify 'no returns accepted', the item could still be returned if the buyer opens an eBay Buyer Protection case because the item wasn't as described.
Steve
Pro

I gave up on flea-bay long ago, Was a good seller and a good buyer, Problem was no one else was for the most part, So I gave up and good riddance.