cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

does any one know the rules of gift aid

pierre_pierre
Grafter

does any one know the rules of gift aid

I regularly make a gift aid declaration, as either a single entrance, i.e Eden Garden, Alnwick Gardens recently and various memberships to charities, but came across this strange one this weekend
The Bowes Museum, Barnard Caste  http://www.thebowesmuseum.org.uk/visiting/opening%20hours%20and%20admission/
£8.00 Adults
£7.00 Concessions
The Bowes Museum is a registered charity. Admissions are donation inclusive and can be Gift Aided. For every £1 paid the Museum can reclaim 28p. If you are not a UK taxpayer or do not wish to make a charitable donation the admission prices are as follows: Adults £7.25, Concessions £6.35, 6 Month Admission Pass £9.00.

so if you say no to them getting a refund of 7x£0.28  you will pay les at £6.35
I did complete  the form and had a good moan at then, they said that is the rules, ended up paying £6.35
also this from the tax  people
Telling HMRC about your Gift Aid donations
It’s important to keep a record of the total amount of your Gift Aid donations for each tax year.  http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/individuals/giving/gift-aid.htm
You’ll need to let HMRC know about your Gift Aid donations if:
    * you claim age-related Personal Allowance, Married Couple’s Allowance or tax credits
    * you pay higher rate tax
    * you want to carry back a Gift Aid donation
If you normally complete a tax return you can tell HMRC about your Gift Aid donations by completing the section on Gift Aid payments.
If you don’t complete a return, you can give the details on form P810 Tax Review - available from your Tax Office, or telephone your Tax Office and ask them to make a change to your tax code.
4 REPLIES
SRD
Grafter

Re: does any one know the rules of gift aid

It seems complete bollocks to me, and I know of no other venue that charges more for gift aided entry than they do for non-gift aided entry.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Can see the Con-Dem coalition abandoning the rules on gift aid.
Denzil
Grafter

It isn't very clear, but I think I would interpret it as saying the entry fee is £7.25 or £6.35, but they add an optional donation of 75p or 65p on top to round it to £8 and £7. If you are a UK taxpayer you can fill in a gift aid form and they will claim back 28% of the 75p or 65p from the taxman.
If you don't wish to make the donation you can pay the plain entry fee. If you are not a UK taxpayer (e.g retired/on benefits/a foreign tourist) then there is no point filling in a gift aid form because they can't claim tax back unless you have paid it in the first place. If you are happy to pay the donation, but can't be bothered to spend time filling a gift aid form for the sake of the 18p in will gain them, then you don't have to. The choice of using gift aid is entirely up to the person making the donation.
I don't reallyu understand why they imply you shouldn't pay the donation if you are not a UK taxpayer. Surely it should be up to the visitor?
SRD
Grafter

Ah, I should have followed the link, it says:
The Bowes Museum is a registered charity. Admissions are donation inclusive and can be Gift Aided.
which suggests that some of the entry fee is a commercial fee and therefore not available for government rebate of tax and some is a donation which is available for rebate of tax.  But they recognise that donations are made of one's own free will so they offer a non-donation entry fee.
I think the whole thing is a mess though, either they are a charity or they aren't, if only some of their activities are charitable how can they call themselves a charity?
I do hope that DNBD looks at the anomalies in what is and what isn't a charity, some of the richest institutions in the land are registered as charities and avoid having to pay proper tax rates, but as one of them is his old school I presume he will be maintaining the status quo (and they deserve their charitable status simply by still being able to hold their guitars).