do you blindly follow a SatNav?

pierre_pierre
Grafter

do you blindly follow a SatNav?

29 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: do you blindly follow a SatNav?

I had to get through a similar gap yesterday, but under different circumstances,  went to the doctor for flue jab, car park full, but a small diagonal space in the corner, reversed in easy gap at least 9 inches a side.  had jab and came out, the car on the right had gone, but some idiot parked his heap over to the left, managed to get out with MM either side, adjust mirrors down to see the bumpers, fold back my mirror, it would not go past the idiot, Phew
Community Veteran

Certainly do not blindly follow sat nav.  ever since school and introduced to ordnance survery maps - which I love, I have always looked at and studied maps - and I have found several times that the sta nav gets it wrong - or takes you on a roundabout route - and I'm not talking about one way or narrow streets.
Like all tools - Sat navs should be used intelligently and with care.
Ellis
Grafter

Sat Navs are like calculators, you shouldn't use them unless you have a fair idea of the answer in the first place.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I don't have a sat nav - maps tell you far more (if it's an area we will be going to frequently we'll get the OS 50,000).
The only piece of modern technology I will use is if I'm going on a route through a town I will look at the junctions on Google street view before setting off so I know what I'm looking for (e.g. look at the road signs to check what place names will be shown).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

Probably using a device designed for cars.  Crazy
itsme
Grafter

Sat Navs take so much stress out of driving when driving on unknown routes at busy times. You can concentrate on driving without the need to read all the direction sign. Especially at large multiple junction roundabouts.
I am a night worker working in certain buildings that have been generated as POI (Points of Interest) and a few of them I would not stand a chance of finding in the dark without this aid.
Community Veteran

Quote from: HPsauce
Probably using a device designed for cars.  Crazy

I think I'd find using my desktop PC and twin 22" monitors a bit tricky in the car! Don't have any laptop or mobile device, don't ever use the phone for browsing (or email).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Fixes: 47

He should have used something like this.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

If i turn on my satnav in my local area I am amazed at the circuitous route it takes me so I assume it does similar when I am in an area I don't know  Wink
Fortunately I started driving before the present motorway network was completed so I know a lot of the old trunk road system. I am of the opinion that they renumbered the trunk  roads and re-jigged a lot of the junctions to force through traffic onto the motorways  Sad
I am always arguing with the satnav voice which amuses the family  Grin
I have a satnav voice with a Yorkshire accent.  Cheesy
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
He should have used something like this.

Seems to be a similar price to a car version, so there's really NO excuse.
Community Veteran

I Use a sat nav in the car and a small Garmin sat nav when fell walking.
Always take a printed map and check out on Google Earth the route before going to some place I have not been before just to make sure that the shorter distance shown by the sat nav does not take me along a load of small side roads which result in the journey being longer.
For those who know the area imagine being in Coniston (Lake District) and you wanted to get to Sellafield, the sat nav might take you over Hard Knott Pass & Wrynose pass, easy enough if you are in a car but no chance for a large van or car with a caravan.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Ellis
Sat Navs are like calculators, you shouldn't use them unless you have a fair idea of the answer in the first place.

Wise words.
I find sat nav particularly useful in actually locating the actual destination when you get in to the local area.
My device will offer three routes visually so I can verify where it is sending me before I select the route.  I figure the route out on a map make sure the sat nav route is near enough and then follow the sat nav
Quote from: jelv
I don't have a sat nav - maps tell you far more (if it's an area we will be going to frequently we'll get the OS 50,000).

Maps don't tell you more than a modern sat nav device
Community Veteran

Not sure if I agree with the last remark in respect of a Sat Nav used for walking.
Very hard to beat a detailed map on the 25:000 scale which shows all manner of things a sat nav would be unable to show.
Community Veteran

I have not used a sat nav for walking. My comment was about using sat navs for driving.