cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

do you believe this about speed cameras?

pierre_pierre
Grafter

do you believe this about speed cameras?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1353829/Axing-speed-cameras-caused-road-deaths-FALL.html
the headline
Axing speed cameras has caused road deaths to FALL

er um
Speed cameras are being removed or turned off because of funding changes and spending cuts, the Daily Mail revealed last week. More than half – 44.7 per cent – are now switched off]

thought if my maths are correct thats less than half

Road deaths dropped 14 per cent in three months while speed cameras were being axed or switched off.
Fatalities over a year fell 21 per cent to a record low, Department for Transport figures show

but where was the 14%
Claire Armstrong, of the anti-camera group Safespeed, said: ‘When we have a recession we expect the fatalities to fall because people travel less and are therefore exposed to less danger. Any benefit is nothing to do with cameras.’

49 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: do you believe this about speed cameras?

With the removal of all speed cameras we drivers could spend more time concentrating on the road ahead and less time looking out for piggy banks boxes on poles Tongue
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Curiously, those cameras along main roads leading in and out of Watford have very recently been reactivated after a longish dormant period.
Driving around this area the unwary could very easily lose one's licence in the space of a couple of miles.
I wonder if this could be prior to a great show of magnanimity when they are switched off again.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

There is so much misinformation these days it's hard to know what to believe.
No wonder so many people are Paranoid. I am not one of these but can't understand why everyone is out to get me !!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I remember riding down from Edinburgh to Thirsk a few years ago. Between Edinburgh and the border I counted 24 speed cameras. Between the border and Thirsk I counted ONE!
Money making and not safety helping at all.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I don't think there is any definitive right or wrong answer to be honest.
Speed cameras cost you money and put points on your licence. Anyone here care to admit intentionally speeding past one? - Or have you all slowed down? - and that is the point of it - slowing people down. Sure, it might not slow you down for long, EG once you're past it you may speed up BUT.. in busy hours you probably won't be able to probably because the camera has a knock-on effect with the traffic (IE slower vehicles will hold you up once you're past it).
At the end of the day, I hate the pesky things and I've had too many close encounters with them for my liking but I can see why they're there. Statistics (while they can be fiddled with the right changes to rules and procedures) can't really be fiddled with the number of deaths on a road where a camera is.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Except for there being absolutely no actual definitive *proof* that speed cameras reduce accidents.  There has been a small amount of research into whether they *increase* accidents (due to people sharply braking when they see a camera, for example)
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20090929/0435146354.shtml
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20100722/09433310322.shtml
B.
Community Veteran

There is no definitive evidence either way, but deaths and serious injury from motor accidents has been declining for many years, so it is way too simple to say that speed cameras one way or the other are the cause of that fall.
Community Veteran

Well there are the road death statistics...
Community Veteran

From: http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20090929/0435146354.shtml
With so much effort put towards new laws banning mobile phone use while driving, and installing speed cameras and redlight cameras, you would think that places that were quite aggressive in doing so would see a decrease in the number of auto injuries. After all, isn't that the point of all of this? The UK has been particularly aggressive in such efforts, but as Jeff Nolan alerts us, a new report out in the UK suggests that (despite the gov't's earlier claims) injury accidents have actually increased over time. The government has now been forced to admit that the stats it had been pumping out (which showed a decrease) were faulty, and that the real number of accidents may be as much as three times as high as what it had been reporting. This only came about after the British Medical Journal looked at hospital admission records of those injured in car crashes, and saw the numbers went up as these new efforts were put in place in the UK. We're all for safer driving, but the claims that these measures lead to safer driving aren't supported by the data.

So, decreasing road accident statistics, or the Government merely not calculating them correctly?  Roll eyes
B.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

hope you dont use the A13
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/media/newscentre/metro/18017.aspx

An average speed camera system, the first of its kind in the UK, will begin operating between Canning Town and the Goresbrook Interchange on the A13 from Monday 31st Jan.
This is to help reduce the number of deaths and serious injuries on this stretch of road.
Between 2007 and 2009, there were 426 collisions resulting in two deaths and 37 serious casualties.
A total of 84 cameras will monitor the speed of vehicles in this area.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Hairy
Money making and not safety helping at all.
I just don't understand how people claim cameras are a money making excersize when spending cuts make the close down, if there were money making, cutting them to save money would be incredibly stupid, even for a council, but especially for a police force.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/bargains-and-rip-offs/ask-an-expert/article.html?in_article_id=476189&i...
Simon Moon from This is Money replies: I spoke to the Ministry of Justice and the Department for Transport who told me the income from speeding fines goes into what is known as the Treasury's consolidated fund, which is a bit of jargon that really means the Government's own bank account.
The Department for Transport told me its most recent figure (2006/07) for the total revenue from drivers caught by speed cameras in England and Wales was £104.4m.
This was down from £114.6m the previous year.
It was at pains to point out that the Government gives £110m a year to all the local authorities in England and Wales to spend on road safety.
and this figure has been dramatically reduced in the spending cuts
Community Veteran

See the average speed cameras worry me.  When we've heard about all these radar guns giving false readings and these average checks are so new how on earth can we be convinced that they're so reliable? - The fuzz kept insisting that their old techniques were reliable and many years later were proven wrong.
I'm all for road safety but aggressive hunting of speeding drivers has led to many people being wrongly prosecuted and THAT is what needs to stop.
I once got flashed for doing 28 in a 30. Never heard anything but when I took the force's offer up of a free bumper sticker it came through as a window sticker - a very distinct difference and they couldn't even understand that! How on earth could they be expected to understand other more complex things?
I also think that if they're going to use these cameras then it shouldn't be in the same place all the time but random locations so that motorists genuinely believe they need to slow down. Not just put them in high traffic flow places as a cash machine.
I don't disagree with making the roads safer with speed cameras but I do think they should be more honest about how they operate and enforce them.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Quote from: okrzynska
slowing people down. Sure, it might not slow you down for long,

I remember being on a IAM training rode and we were following some on on the A68 who slowed to 50mph at speed cameras. SO I OVERTOOK him at a Speed camera!  Cheesy
Slowing down is one thing but when you are no exceeding the speed limit  Crazy