Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

do what, how do they work that out?

pierre_pierre
Grafter

do what, how do they work that out?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15876745
Britain sells 72 retired Harrier jump jets for £116m
Britain is selling 72 retired Harrier jump jets to the US in a deal worth $180m (£116m).

The Harriers, which were retired last year as part of defence cuts, will be used as a source of spare parts for the US Harrier fleet.
Defence Minister Peter Luff said the sale was a good deal for UK taxpayers and would allow Britain to invest in more modern and capable aircraft. Ha Ha that wont even buy part of a new plane
16 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: do what, how do they work that out?

the Harrier replacement
Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II

Cost estimates have risen to $382 billion for 2,443 aircraft, at an average of $156 million each. The rising program cost estimates have cast doubt on the actual number to be produced for the U.S. In January 2011,
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

£116M converts to $177.677M   
so, looks like they might be able to afford one of them replacements, and a tank of fuel to get it over here to put on display in a museum.... Roll eyes
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Ah but that was last January price
Community Veteran

Funny the way our governments do business. Buy things at vastly inflated prices and sell things as cheap as chips. Isn't that backwards to the normal way of things?
Someone somewhere must be making a fortune out of these deals. Or it's a lot of palm greasing for future benefits.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

It only goes to show whos really in charge here as per usual. America says jump and we ask how high.
Why can't we stand on our own two feet and be the United Kingdom again? - These days we won't do anything unless its in americas or europes interest.
As for the harriers... I can't believe it, I really can't. This is a very sad day for whats left of the United Krumble.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
tinto
Grafter

I read about this last week,  but that story had the Harriers as having been recently refurbished then stripped of weapons, radar, etc. and sold to the US Navy, who reckon there's about 15 years work left in them and plan to re-equip them with American gear for use by their Marines  who have been flying Harriers about as long as the RAF and RN.
If it's true that the Harriers are still airworthy, it begs the the question, why weren't they made available in the recent little contretemps in Libya?
Another question begged. How come we're going to have at least one, possibly two, state of the art aircraft carrier(s) in a few years, to be immediately mothballed because there will be no aircraft to fly off them?  There was a time I would have dismissed such  thoughts out of hand but given the demonstrable ineptitude of our politicians over the last few years, well, I'm not so sure.
What are we to believe. Britain virtually giving away serviceable warplanes with a seagoing capability, or America buying dodgy used aircraft for spares for their armed forces? 
Community Veteran

Quote from: tinto
If it's true that the Harriers are still airworthy, it begs the the question, why weren't they made available in the recent little contretemps in Libya?
Another question begged. How come we're going to have at least one, possibly two, state of the art aircraft carrier(s) in a few years, to be immediately mothballed because there will be no aircraft to fly off them?  There was a time I would have dismissed such  thoughts out of hand but given the demonstrable ineptitude of our politicians over the last few years, well, I'm not so sure.

Thing is they couldn't make it to Libya without an aircraft carrier to get them there. The range on the harrier isn't anything like the Tornado.
It is completely stupid though how we've got new carriers on order that will have nothing to carry when we had 72 serviceable harriers that could of done the job. Its not like the carriers will know the difference. Invincible, Illustrious and Ark Royal were all actually helicopter carriers but for the falklands we had nothing else to use so loaded them up with harriers and they were used in that role from then on.
It seems utterly bonkers to get rid of our only carrier launchable war planes when we've new carriers in the pipeline and nothing to put on them. I suppose thats another excuse to up our fuel duty in a few years when they want to buy a new fleet of warbirds.
So much for Dave Clegg doing the right thing and saving money..
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I wonder how much Iran would have bid for the old Harriers?  No doubt more than the USA.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
tinto
Grafter

Quote from: Sprite

Thing is they couldn't make it to Libya without an aircraft carrier to get them there. The range on the harrier isn't anything like the Tornado.

The Harrier has air to air refuelling capacity too just like the Tornado and can be fitted with drop tanks, but I agree a carrier would have been a better bet,  Last I heard though, we've got a redundant carrier as well, awaiting a buyer, and perhaps with a wee bit of work it could have made its way to the Med.  Then again, the men and women to crew it have probably been made redundant too.........
Ministry of Defence = Ministry of RedundancyHuh
Community Veteran

Yes but they're also nowhere near as fast as the tornado. Most harriers can barely scrape past Mach 1 while the tornado can read Mach 1.5 easily if memory serves.
Yes we have one mothballed carrier.. I wouldn't even say mothballed as the engines have already been stripped and its up for tender for breaking. It all seems ludicrous doesn't it.
Once upon a time young people used to have something to look up to and aspire to get into such as engineering. Now its all 'customer service', financial or some other really boring crappy job that no-one wants to do (and then they wonder why the benefits system is struggling?).
Has no-one else noticed how much worse this country has got since scrapping anything that was made by engineers with metal?
itsme
Grafter

and why is speed important?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Kestrel FGA.1 Harrier GR3/AV-8A Sea Harrier FA2 Harrier GR9 AV-8B+ Harrier
Max speed 545 mph (877 km/h) 731 mph (1,180 km/h) 735 mph (1,180 km/h) 662 mph (1,070 km/h) 662 mph (1,070 km/h)
Mach 1 at sea level is 761.2
Community Veteran

Quote from: pierre_pierre
Mach 1 at sea level is 761.2

Er no its not actually a constant its a variabe. It can drop as low as 650mph pierre. Different things affect it such as height, moisture in the air (water in the air disperses and slows down sound), temperature and a few others. Thats why I said they could sometimes just scrape past the speed of sound.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Sprite
Has no-one else noticed how much worse this country has got since scrapping anything that was made by engineers with metal?

The little engineering company I was working for at the time of the Falklands war helped convert a tanker for use as a makeshift carrier. Helicopters/harriers I assume.
With very little of those small independent engineering companies left in our service obsessed country I doubt if they could even do that now.
Seriously what would our government do? Follow EU regulations and put it out to tender probably, so that Germany would get it.