cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

do the cable theives have these cutters

pierre_pierre
Grafter

do the cable theives have these cutters

short video of South Woodham Ferrers http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-15740882
also nearby East Tilbury  lost theirs last night
[Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) Link fixed.
9 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: do the cable theives have these cutters

That's the problem as mentioned in the clip. People see stuff happening by the roadside maybe by men in hi-vis jackets and assume it's legitimate.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

From that clip, it looks like the ring road on the outskirts of S.W.F. and the majority of traffic along that stretch would not be the locals - so would be less likely to question what is going on.
They are also assuming that the thieves are disguised as BT workmen, but out here in the sticks there is constantly movements of weird and wonderful farming machinery - and if anything would be good at pulling cables out of underground ducts, it going to be a tractor, and for coiling the cable there are all sorts of machines used for reeling irrigation hoses etc, driving about.
It is a pity that due to the unplanned nature of this damage, that the opportunity for BT to lay fibre instead won't happen.
Laying fibre would eliminate the problem of thieving as there would be no copper scrap value, and the residents might get FTTC.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

On the note of farming machinery...
Couple of years ago there was stories on the news almost every week about stolen farm tractors etc being sent abroad. Every week there are lorries at the top of our road with tractors on the back, all brand new (as described on the news) and the fuzz drive straight past. Not once have I ever seen them inspecting the tractors.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
itsme
Grafter

With all this copper thief I'm surprised I'm not stopped by the police in the early hours of the morning coming out of buildings that are a known target for copper thief.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

another comment on the local radio,  asked why dont they clamp down on the scrap dealers?
answer, they seem to be filling up a container now and just shipping that our of the country, less hassle - they dont hve to strip the cable
Community Veteran

[quote=pierre_pierre ]why dont they clamp down on the scrap dealers?
The local 'coppers' don't have a very good record of policing the nearby scrap yards in neighbouring Hanningfield.
The owners only seem to get prosecuted when yet another environmental catastrophe has already occurred, such as when a massive stack of tyres caught fire that burned for two days, or when illegally stored chemicals burst from tanks and got into nearby ditches and ground water.  Having lived in the area for a while, they seem to get busted every few years for some infringement or other, but they are still in business and will probably break the law again.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

That seems to be a popular business plan with some places these days. Break the law, pay the fine, repeat while in profit.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

[quote=BBC News]An undercover BBC London investigation has exposed rogue scrap metal dealers willing to launder stolen metal in an illicit trade now worth millions of pounds.
BBC News - Investigating London's rogue scrap metal dealers
Community Veteran

Quote from: Sprite
That seems to be a popular business plan. Break the law, pay the fine, repeat while in profit.

Sounds like the one handed out at the House of Commons.