cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

discreet enquiries

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

discreet enquiries

I need to find out whether a relative has died, but have no local contacts in the area they lived. it is over 250 miles from me, and not an easy situation to make personal visits to. Apart from paying some sort of private detective agency, is there any legal governmental type department that I can make discreet enquiries through?  They were putting he house was on the market, but not sure what stage the sale ( if any ) has reached.
Any suggestions or advice welcome. Thanks
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Re: discreet enquiries

Could you phone them and see what sort of answer is given ?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

You could try calling the local registry office in the area. They should issue death certificates and probably have some sort of database.
But I can't answer for if they would give you the information though.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
shalom2010
Grafter

Just a thought, if the house was on the market, perhaps have a search for it on the internet & find out who is the estate agent & contact them. Are you the only relative?
Community Veteran

Phone is not an option... email is not being answered, that is the basis of my worry....
Searching for house agent is an idea... also local reg office...
Both of them are somewhere to start from... thanks
nadger
Rising Star

If you put postcode into Google you may find out some details regarding property.
Community Veteran

When we had a concern about someone a few months ago we rang the local Police and asked them to send a PCSO round to check.
Community Veteran

thanks for those ideas, as well.  Wink
Community Veteran

Try www.rightmove.co.uk to find property for sale or rent.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

You could Google the postcode to find any neighbours that aren't ex-directory, and then phone them and explain the situation.
Google Earth street view might also help finding nearest houses.
Community Veteran

Just look up the Obituaries in the local paper!
Geoff,
York.
Fixes: 125

If you go here you can enter either a postcode, the town and street or local authority and will presented with a link to a page for the local authority for copy certificates.
My local authority charges £10 for a copy of a death certificate plus a £1 handling charge. Slightly higher prices if you want it more urgently.
Edit: Also found this note:
You can visit the certificate centre and, for a fee, search the birth, death and marriage indexes held there. This service is restricted and you must make an appointment. You will be required to pay for certificates for any entries that you find and wish to view the information.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I Just hope you have more luck than me.
I Was contacted by a firm of solicitors doing research on behalf of the court of protection into a distant relatives family tree. I Did not know this person was even alive as they were over 100.
Contacted the court of protection and they refused to disclose where she was, which I later discovered to be a Nursing Home. After several letters of correspondence to the Court of Protection they inform me she had died, the next bit is unbelievable.......... they refused to tell me where she is buried due to confidentiality of records.
I Nearly went to the press over this as it's hard to believe that in a so called  free society such a thing could be allowed.
About 2 years later I received a cheque for a small sum of money along with a list of other relatives who had also benefited (around 50 people) but I still have no idea where she is buried.
shalom2010
Grafter

We are a society that treat data protection very highly, I guess for good reason, but it does really hinder the genuine enquiries. I guess you could see a solicitor to get some sort of letter to verify you are a
relative & your enquiry is genuine. (Just another thought!). Nice to read the helpful advice given. This forum is great Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Well the court of protection had used a solicitor to trace relatives so they would have had a copy of that list so would know I was a relative.
It goes against the grain to employ a solicitor to take on a Court who must be acting within the Law, these issues can go on for ages and cost a fortune.