cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

discounted 1st class stamp

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

discounted 1st class stamp

Superdrug is offering 5% off first class stamps, cutting the standard cost from 41p to 39p per stamp from 16 Mar until 3 Apr 2011.
Prices of first class stamps then go up everywhere on 4 April (to 46p) and second class (up 4p to 36p). You can buy up to 72 stamps per day at Superdrug. This is the third time Superdrug's had a 5% discount promotion since the price of First Class stamps went up last year by 2p

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/superdrug-stamps
Its a pity 2nd class are not discounted Roll eyes
12 REPLIES
geoffp0
Grafter

Re: discounted 1st class stamp

I never write to anyone if I can help it, Roll eyes but saying that I think that the UK postage rates are still the cheapest in europe Smiley
Geoff
Community Veteran

And if you buy quantity in advance you can use them at any time in the future even if the cost of stamps go up again.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

D'you know, I actually thought it was illegal to sell stamps at anything else but the prevailing Royal Mail price at the time. You learn something every day!!!
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Mind you, its going cost me x number of £'s of fuel + parking charges to get to the nearest Superdrug.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

when we moved my mother, I  got about £20 of old decimal stamps, all odd varieties, managed to use them all
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Can't think of any reason why anybody would want to use first class stamps, there is no certainty they will arrive any faster than second class letters
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Its a long time since I used a first class stamp, think mine are from about two price rises ago, very rare that we dont get 2nd class the next day
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Coming to think about it, is there anything that has to be sent by letter that could not be sent as an e-mail or text message.
Some people have even been fired or made redundant via e-mail !
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: gleneagles
Coming to think about it, is there anything that has to be sent by letter that could not be sent as an e-mail

I'm a bit old fashioned, a cheque for a birthday presant, a greetings card and a letter of complaint when you want recorded proof of sending, an invoice for companies that want paper copies.
Althought I agree why send it 1st class
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: geoffp0
I never write to anyone if I can help it, Roll eyes but saying that I think that the UK postage rates are still the cheapest in europe Smiley
Geoff

However..... us oldies  Roll eyes remember when it used to cost 2.5 d to send a letter .... and it got there next day, even if you posted it at 6pm ....
41p.  equates to 8 shillings and twopence..... and 49p , equates to 9 shillings and 8 pence.... (almost ten bob) and that is cheap ?  do me a favour ! Undecided
Denzil
Grafter

Quote from: gleneagles
Coming to think about it, is there anything that has to be sent by letter that could not be sent as an e-mail or text message.

There are plenty of things that still need real signatures. People post cheques and Gift Aid forms to my charity, for instance.
gswindale
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
when we moved my mother, I  got about £20 of old decimal stamps, all odd varieties, managed to use them all

Is that all? 
We recently cleared out a relative's flat.  My parents decided not to use the fractional stamps as the sorting office staff probably wouldn't understand them.  I think in the end they worked out there was close to £500 worth of stamps (at present values).
I'm amazed to see the cost is 41p.  Last letter I put in the post today cost 36p (1st Class but franked).  I always thought it was only a couple of pence cheaper - not a whole 5p.