cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

deleting posts

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

deleting posts

I remember a recent post about this, but don`t think it was specific in response, at least as far as I recall.
Can a post be deleted by the originator after it has been responded to?
I am well aware that it can be edited/changed, but not sure if it can be deleted.
I seem to think the rules were changed after a certain person of the moderation team removed ALL his posts when he left, which made a mockery of the threads, as large gaps were left where the said posts had been removed.
If this is in the wrong place, please be kind enough to re-position it...
47 REPLIES
Bob_Milton
Grafter

Re: deleting posts

I would be interested in someone telling us what happened when those entries were deleted.
Is it a secret, is it something that some people should not be told about.
I can understand that PlusNet might say that it is not really their responsibility, but PlusNet do make a big thing of being transparent and honest.
What is done and said in these topics is in PlusNet's name.
These are topics published by PlusNet.
How about a response from PlusNet please, in the name of transparency.
jmd
Grafter

At the time there was information given about the deleted posts Bob -  so do not see need for repeat of that discussion!
and it did say that posts cannot be deleted - but you can edit and delete what you have said!  but that does not answer Shutter's query?
[especially as a thread seems to have been deleted?]
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the facility was  taken away after a person with the power deleted all his posting and mucked up the flow of the forums
I suppse you could ask the modsto do it for you, it then gets moved to the dead archive
Community Veteran

To put it succinctly:
Once you have created a thread and it has been responded to, you cannot delete your posts, you may only edit them.
If a post is to be taken out of public view, it may be moved by the Moderating Team that have administration rights for the board, however, we collectively decided that NO post should be deleted whatsoever, just moved to storage as this will give us "history" of what has happened with said post.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Bob
I would be interested in someone telling us what happened when those entries were deleted.
Is it a secret, is it something that some people should not be told about.

You'll get a response from me regarding this, as has been responded to previously, but I can't put my finger on said thread right now.
Basically, without going into too much detail, a now ex member of the moderating team thought fit to delete every single post of theirs, in essence destroying every thread they have posted in.
This was picked up on very early in the morning by myself, and appropriate action was taken to "limit damage" any further to the forums.

Unfortunately, backups were available, but the work involved to put these individual posts back into the threads would be prohibitively time consuming, and it was decided to leave the threads as they were, as to put a reinstate a backup taken a few hours earlier would remove posts written after the backup was taken, which would create further confusion.
There it is in a nutshell, and no further comments will be made regarding this. I just wanted to reply as I felt that conspiracy theories might kick in if not responded to.
Community Veteran

So.... it appears then that there is one rule for the mods and another for the "minions" then Roger.
Chillypenguin posted today and congratrulated Roger on winning the wellie wanging contest
I responded
I wonder how many prospective employers will be impressed with that on his C.V.
After a while, I went back to check if other posts had been added.  But I could not find it.
This is a blatant misuse of Mod privelidges.....
There was absolutely no reason for removing the post, except to possibly "save face" or prevent further light hearted comment on the subject.  The comment I placed was not  rude/abusive/or insulting, and there was no indication from the original poster, either directly, or indirectly, that my post was inappropriate.
Quote from your own post
Once you have created a thread and it has been responded to, you cannot delete your posts, you may only edit them.
Unquote
You then go on to re-inforce that statement by stating 
"we collectively decided that NO post should be deleted whatsoever,"
yet as previously mentioned...... the post has been deleted (or removed.... it is the same thing)
To put it succintly (as you say)
is this not "favourtism" of the worst kind?
What purpose is there in "storage" of that post..... ?
To say it  .....  "    will give us "history" of what has happened with said post." 
Is hardly a reason for "storing" it, as there were only two posts, and not of technical interest
An honest response would be appreciated to the following question
Do the moderators have to abide by the rules that they set down in the same way as the minions do?

Late edit (as Roger has put up a smoke screen response)

You'll get a response from me regarding this, as has been responded to previously, but I can't put my finger on said thread right now.

You can`t put your finger on the said thread right now, because "someone" has deleted it....

just wanted to reply as I felt that conspiracy theories might kick in if not responded to.

If the above action is not a conspiracy...... then I am at a loss to put a name to the action taken.
Bob_Milton
Grafter

Thanks for the response Roger.
You may not wish to contribute further, that's your choice. Transparency would scotch any hint of accusations of conspiracy.
From what you have said,
This was picked up on very early in the morning by myself, and appropriate action was taken to "limit damage" any further to the forums

It was an unsatisfactory event which should not have occured. You did your best to 'rescue' the situation. I have no issue with that.
I guess that some of the moderators, maybe all, were embarrassed over the whole affair.
It would be good to have an assurance that this type of action is not now possible, perhaps any deletion of this nature would need at least two moderators to give assent.
That's not too much to ask is it? It would stop any 'rogue/unsatisfactory' action taking place, ---
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
So.... it appears then that there is one rule for the mods and another for the "minions" then Roger.
Chillypenguin posted today and congratrulated Roger on winning the wellie wanging contest
I responded
I wonder how many prospective employers will be impressed with that on his C.V.
After a while, I went back to check if other posts had been added.  But I could not find it.
This is a blatant misuse of Mod privelidges.....

Gerry - you need to consider carefully how your post sounded to me, and the rolling eyes icon said it all, and I took it to be a jibe, therefore I moved it to storage rather than have a go at anyone
Chilly assented to my moving the post as he was the OP, therefore, no rules were breached and that's the end of that. No Conspiracy at all. I just felt you were taking the opportunity to have a dig and therefore I moved it.
Community Veteran

Then, if that is the case, why did you not send me a PM.?  I was not taking a jibe at you.  By now you must know that I have a sense of humour, and that post was humourous with the rolling eyes.  Had I not used any "emoticon" then you could possible have taken that attitude.
With this in the public domain, I expect you will now return the post and if any "jibes" are made then take them the way they are meant, and do not usurp your powers as moderators....
Treat everyone the same, (that includes fellow moderators ) and use discretion, and courtesy, rather than heavy handed responses.
Community Veteran

I did not see the original posts, but just read the fallout and all things considered I think the removal of the thread was a misuse of moderator powers. The reason I think this is that normally any abuse of the Forum Rules involves the moderators either posting in the thread concerned or sending a PM to the user who made the breach of the rules. In this case neither seems to have happened and the thread as been removed (not the offending post).
After rereading the Forum Rules I can not find any situation listed that would result in the removal of an entire thread, unless all the posts in that thread were against the Forum Rules.
Please note I would not have been aware of any of this discussion if it was done via PMs.
gswindale
Grafter

Quote from: rogerloxton
I just felt you were taking the opportunity to have a dig and therefore I moved it.

So, what happens if I feel someone is having a dig at me?  Where is my right to move the post out of the public domain?
Blatant misuse of moderator rights.  A PM or a post in the topic (maybe from another mod) would have been better.
Community Veteran

Quote from: geofftswin
So, what happens if I feel someone is having a dig at me?  Where is my right to move the post out of the public domain?

Just click on the "Report to moderator link" with a polite request, and it will be dealt with for you.
There was no blatant abuse of moderator rights, in any similar situation we (the moderators) would have acted in exactly the same way and removed the post at the request of the insulted party.
The abuse if any we mine in posting details on the forum, that could cause ridicule to another member. Let’s put it down as a misdirected joke. I know that Roger took it in the humorous way in which it was intended.
As for deleting your posts, you can either use the “modify” to remove the contents, or use the "Report to moderator link".
gswindale
Grafter

In our case then, we report to a moderator who takes an unbiased look at the topic and content of the post, which may or may not see a removal.  In your case, you simply move it no questions asked.
In this case, it appears from the discussion that no independant 3rd party was involved.
I still feel that a PM to Shutter by the moderator responsible would have been in order.
It may not of been a blatant misuse of Roger's rights, but I feel that a procedure needs to be put in place in that if a moderator feels that a post directed at them is unsuitable for the forum, that it goes to other moderators (who've not been involved in the topic already) for discussion before being removed, as at the moment, the only mods appearing in this topic are those directly involved in the incident - no independant moderator involvement which is much needed in these situations.
Community Veteran

@chilly
I don`t know where you get the idea that Roger thought it was "humorous". and took it that way.

I know that Roger took it in the humorous way in which it was intended.

His reason for removal (?) deletion of the whole topic was that he thought I was having a dig at him.

Gerry - you need to consider carefully how your post sounded to me, and the rolling eyes icon said it all, and I took it to be a jibe, therefore I moved it to storage rather than have a go at anyone

and you colluded with him to remove the said topic

Chilly assented to my moving the post as he was the OP,

Roger finished off that sentence with

no rules were breached and that's the end of that.
I just felt you were taking the opportunity to have a dig and therefore I moved it.

Well,  do not agree that "that's the end of that."
If Roger can remove a thread because he thinks someone is having a dig, by asking the O.P. permission, then that same "privelige" should also apply to everyone. (he may well have asked chilly as the O.P. but he also happens to be a moderator too....)
If you two cannot see any "conspiracy" then I think you need to think seriously about your positions as moderators.
(I seem to recall the last "incident" involving Roger`s "moderating" where I was accused of starting a conspiracy by himself, and others...... apparently that is alright coming from the moderators)
As mentioned by geofftswin..... we need to have your "unbiased" opinion on our posts when reported on, but who decided that he did not want the post to remain?  Roger.... Who decided to move it?  Roger.

(as he has the privelige to remove posts, he carried his duties too far).
Chilly`s original post was ripe for a humourous response, and no doubt that was his intention when he posted it.  This happens all the time, and gives the forum a light hearted slant, which is generally enjoyed by all involved.  Unfortunately, Roger took umbrage, and did what he did.
There is an old Naval saying..... "If you can`t take a joke.... you should not have joined".
He may not have been in the Navy, or any of the Armed Forces, but the same principle applies.
May I politely suggest Roger should not have joined.
I re-iterate my original remarks.....
There was nothing wrong with chilly`s post.
There was nothing wrong with my reposte.
It was well within the rules of the forum, even down to the fact that I used 1 emoticon (rolling eyes) signifying a humorous slant to the text.
Therefore Roger Loxton, should take it on the chin, admit he made a mistake by removing the post, and re-instate the post for further comment, and let`s get this forum back to being a happy place to be. If he is unwilling to do that, then may I politely suggest he resigns as a moderator.
Then to quote Roger Loxton (moderator)
"That`s the end of that"
However, I`m sure that the moderating team will find some other way of ensuring further discussion will be stifled to the point that admitting you made a "wrong call" as a moderator, is the O.K. thing to do.