cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

death of the cheque signalled

thisoldman
Grafter

death of the cheque signalled

Cry  dear me, now the banks are planning to get rid of cheques.  Guess we shall soon be returning to the medieval system of bartering. Wink
107 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: death of the cheque signalled

When I had my doors and windows renewed two months ago I was required to pay by cheque.
It was the first cheque I had written for years and took some time to locate the cheque book and then remember how to complete it correctly.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Admittedly I've not used one for years and now fail to see the point when every commercial business seems to accept plastic.
Unfortunately though, for many who don't possess plastic processing abilities, its a method of payment which can't be done without. Guaranteed with a cheque guarantee card, its as good as cash or a card payment.
I don't think this has been well thought out. How on earth are postal payments going to be made now?
I blame the supermarkets... when they stopped accepting them that was the start of it all.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
thisoldman
Grafter

hiya  okrz    hows it going    any news on job front?
thisoldman
Grafter

joke)        if we were allowed to barter   what would be the value of plus net value...... would they accept   1 pig or  40 eggs or   200 sausages in payment   lol
i wonder who will be the first cramk to suggest a ton of  manure      lol
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Some window cleaners only do Cheques or Cash, thay do not have a Credit Card Reader, plus a number of smol Shops don't have a Credit Card Reader, plus there is the public who sell on eBay still use cheques, not all want to use PayPal.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Dear me - now we are resurrecting old news to stir things up http://www.thirdsector.co.uk/news/Article/978714/banks-stop-using-cheques-2018-says-institute-fundra...
Banks might stop using cheques before 2018, says Institute of Fundraising
By Kaye Wiggins, Third Sector Online, 20 January 2010

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8414341.stm
However, there will be annual checks on the progress of other payments systems and a final review of the decision will be held in 2016.
Graph showing the forecast decline of personal cheques
"The goal is to ensure that by 2018 there is no scenario where customers, individuals or businesses, still need to use a cheque," the Payments Council said in a statement.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010/mar/16/cheques-consumer-affairs
But the council's chief executive, Paul Smee, defended the plans saying that, by setting a target date, the council was encouraging innovation: "We have said that alternatives to cheques must be available and actually being used before the end of the cheque."
nadger
Rising Star

I'm still using Midland Bank cheques printed 12 years ago - I write one cheque a year to pay residents association.
Still be sorry to see them go  Cry
thisoldman
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
Dear me - now we are resurrecting old news to stir things up http://www.thirdsector.co.uk/news/Article/978714/banks-stop-using-cheques-2018-says-institute-fundra...
Banks might stop using cheques before 2018, says Institute of Fundraising

stir?    what an awful accusation oldboy    you must be suffering from stirring syndrome Cheesy
[Moderator's note by Jim (Oldjim)  quote fixed ]
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

I am not but in my opinion you are.
Looking at your recent posts seems to confirm my supposition
nadger
Rising Star

Guess who makes his payments to charity by monthly Direct Debit  Roll eyes
gswindale
Grafter

About time we banished cheques to the stone age in my opinion.
We've had trouble recently with some cheques and the banks in question were not even bright enough to spot that they'd been tampered with until we reported the issue.  Fortunately we've been fully refunded but making payments either by cash, card or online is the way forward.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

My Dentist, a fair size practice does not take plastic of any kind, only paper.
Also just got a Tax rebate  for I dont know what, for 2009 and 2010, nice for Christmas, it was a Cheque
Our Local Beeb had a go about it this morning, all bitter and twisted, the Finacial spokesman said thay will probably bring out a new paper form that will be machine readable.
Funny as the Tax one was read by the bank machine with no problem
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

National savings pay over 1 million warrants (cheques) per month as premium bond prizes.
I read a report somewhere that storing second (bank) address for the 50 million bond holders would take several years to set up, program and collect data.
nadger
Rising Star

I've been writing cheques for about 54 years and never had a problem albeit, these days, there are better ways to pay most bills.