cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cutting china

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

cutting china

I have a small teapot,... just big enough for 1.5 cups of tea !... and just right for single use...( also got a bigger one if we have  guests )..

This small tea pot, tends to "dribble".. from the spout when being carefully poured.. and also from the main opening.. I think this is due to the bad design of the spout, being on a slightly higher level than the top of the tea pot.. so that whe pouring out. it also come over the edge.

Is it possible, has anyone done it, to reshape the mouth of the spout, by cutting it back, ( say with a small hacksaw, or some kind of grinding wheel?)   not bothered about it being a glazed finish after the job is done..

18 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: cutting china

Doubt the hacksaw would work but a dremil with a small grinding wheel is the way I would go.

Just an opinion as I have never done it.

Community Veteran

Hmm... Yeah, I was thinking grinding wheel,... but I only got a great big hammer drill... !  maybe I could use a grinding wheel on my screwdriver drill..  . of course,, meanwhile, I shall be touring the charity shops to see if I can buy a better one... be cheaper than a dremmel kit ! ! ..

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

That'd be Dremel, with one M... Grin

Spelling aside, there's the option of a diamond file, used to file glass & tiles, probably could find one that could be used to profile a channel into the spout...

Community Veteran

Another interesting idea... will check on ebay.. ! tks

Just ordered a set of 5 for £1.05p from Hong Kong... inc p&p ... be here in about a month.... ! 

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Have you considered just getting a new teapot? Roll eyes

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Or a rubber spout extension?

Community Veteran

Yes, I have considered getting another t-pot... but they are very hard to find the small size one, that will pour well... I did have one... but .. and accident knocked the handle off... a couple of days ago...

a rubber spout will probably not work, as the spout is already too high..

alanf
Aspiring Pro

Why not make the tea in a cup/mug? Even if using loose tea there are infusers of many designs.

Minivanman
Hero

Mrs Minivanman bought a small one recently, I'll ask here where she got it from. Thumbs Up 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

alanf wrote:

Why not make the tea in a cup/mug? Even if using loose tea there are infusers of many designs.

Shocked

Because that is the most revolting way t drink tea.... would you drink tea straight from the spout of a teapot?  Huh

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Pour the tea into the saucer and drink it from that.

Community Veteran

And lower my table manners standards to yours  ?   No Way  ! Shocked

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

Small tea pots are dead easy to find if you look around, most of those stainless steel tea services that people bought in the 70's had one large pot for the tea and one smaller one for hot water to top the main pot up.

There's hundreds for sale on eBay and for considerably less than you paid for those monkey metal files.

Just looked at this one which is 99p Small Stainless Steel 18-8 Teapot If it's tea stained just whack a spoonful of bicarb in it and it would come up like new. No files needed Grin

s-l1600 (1).jpg

This is the sort of service I was referring too, I often see these in charity shops or car boot sales. The little hot water pot is ideal for 1.5 - 2 cups.

s-l1600 (2).jpg

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

Alternatively go to the local motorway service station and pinch one of theirs, I've got several which look like they came from one of those places. Picked um up in a charity shop for 50p