Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cookies

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

cookies

"By using our site, you agree to our use of cookies"      [ "OK" ]

This is running on pretty much every site visited.... however... I have not clicked on the "OK" to get rid of the message......... (particularly GOOGLE )
and I can still use the site... so how do they know that I disagree ? it seems that it doesn`t make any difference whether you click OK or not.....  Shocked
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: cookies

I understand, that by clicking into any site you automatically agree “to our use of cookies”
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I, also, understand that.......... just seems pointless for the sites to put a stupid message about it, and you have to click OK....
(yeah I know I probably only have to do it once... (per site) . but ... just seems pointless... !)
itsme
Grafter

regulations
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Oddly, I get no message about cookies here: http://www.sesamestreet.org/ ; Crazy
If it's interpreted logically then clicking OK would store a cookie to say you accept cookies, if not then it should not store a cookie so you'd get the same message the next time you visit.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: shutter
so how do they know that I disagree ?

They don't and infact the cookie has already been set on your computer. Cookies are sent to your browser in the reply headers - which preceeds the html code. Therefore by the time you're seeing the html the cookie has already been received by your browser.
This is legislation by MPs that didn't actually understand the technical aspects and how it works.
Many webmasters will give you the chance to decline their sites cookies and still don't understand that just by using php sessions they are setting one.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Quote from: shutter
just seems pointless for the sites to put a stupid message about it, and you have to click OK....

Now don't upset the Cookie Monster !  Shocked
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

I have this set up on my iMac preferences.....
Which over-rides any website cookie requests, before the pages load.

Sometimes I have to allow, but then only for the session, to order something on the Internet.
Is there not something similar for Windoze ?
Community Veteran

Quote from: PlusComUK
Is there not something similar for Windoze ?

Depends on the browser.
To be honest, this was all a knee jerk reaction to the paranoid media trying to convince the masses that cookies are dangerous and a risk to your security,
Cookies are only sent to the website that set them to be read. They do not contain things like your phone number, name, address, credit card details etc, they simply contain minor things like preferences, php session identifiers, advert tracking (eg to set you up with appropriate ads / monitor statistics) and other things that webmasters do.
None of this really invades your privacy as such and quite frankly if the MPs who passed this legislation were really that worried or had half a clue they would have legislated against the E-Tag instead which is far murkier and able to track a user just as effectively from what I read about it last year.
I don't block any cookies, it is utterly pointless and takes time to setup or click the appropriate block/allow icon with each site you visit. I just let my browser accept them and be done with it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

The "appropriate ads" I get are usually putting exactly what I was just looking at previously on Amazon and elsewhere into the advert space.
Community Veteran

Yes I get the same with halfords too but it doesn't worry me, I just ignore them.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Sprite
This is legislation by MPs that didn't actually understand the technical aspects and how it works.

Do you think they know what a flash cookie is? They'd probably think it's a chef in their parliament restaurant.
They're more of a problem as most users don't even know where to find them.
At least software like CCleaner makes it easy to selectively delete all those that you don't want need or want.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Keep cookies out of your PC. The crumbs can cause havoc.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Quote from: billnotben
At least software like CCleaner makes it easy to selectively delete all those that you don't want or want.

Along with destroying half the registry.. lol
Community Veteran

My previous experience with magic fixing registry tools means that I leave that part of CCleaner alone.
If I have a reg problem I find it better to use those tools to point me in the right direction then do any needed changes manually with regedit.
As you say it's too easy to press a button and blitz everything.