cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

consumer rights and Sky tv.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

consumer rights and Sky tv.

I am with Sky for tv only. Our package is tailored to give its channels we want but not box sets or hd. This was agreed with sky for £20 a month. A few months ago out rise to £21.10. Not a massive rise, and acceptable.
I find today they've taken £30.00 out of my bank by direct debit. That's a 50% increase in seven months. Sky themselves state that they will only put prices up once in a contract. And that if the price goes up by more than 10% the customer may leave without penalties.
Before I phone then, fits anyone know if any consumer law gives me any rights, to either leave without penalty out a refund or both?
I know when I phone them I will be given the run around, and it would be great to have all the facts to hand to empower my position. Any links will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Ps.  Would do this myself, but at work and using phone so it's very slow to do lots of searching.  Sad
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Re: consumer rights and Sky tv.

Surely as a minimum they MUST inform you beforehand about any change to the amount, under the Direct Debit scheme
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I got a letter from Sky (April, maybe early May) advising of a price rise (I believe this is a rise for most/all customers) from 1st June.  As soon as I got my new PNTV ordered I called Sky and cancelled.
Info here.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

My question is if you cancel your Sky subscription does it automatically revert to freesat from Sky. I think I wouldn't miss many Sky paid channels if I lost them  Huh
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

No, they charge for a 'freesat' viewing card (£25 if you have your own equipment): http://www.sky.com/shop/freesat/home/
Note:
†For security reasons, Viewing Cards may be inactivated from time to time. In this situation, if you wish to continue to receive all encrypted Free to View channels, you will have to purchase a new viewing card at our then applicable standard charge.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

it reverts to a box capable of viewing the FTA and FTV DSAT channels, but you lose any recording facilities (including the playback of previous recorded items), and all catchup services.
Community Veteran

Quote from: w23
No, they charge for a 'freesat' viewing card (£25 if you have your own equipment): http://www.sky.com/shop/freesat/home/
Note:
†For security reasons, Viewing Cards may be inactivated from time to time. In this situation, if you wish to continue to receive all encrypted Free to View channels, you will have to purchase a new viewing card at our then applicable standard charge.

your existing cancelled sub card will act as a "freesat" card. you don't need to buy a new one.
you only need to buy a new one should your card become inactivated, and that will only occur if sky do another card swap (which isn't due for a couple of years).
Community Veteran

OK, happy to stand corrected on that but when my father in law cancelled his Sky subscription (around a year ago) he was charged £25 by Sky to transfer to Freesat.
Call me 'w23'
Community Veteran

well he shouldn't have been charged.
cancelled viewing cards continue to work for FTV and FTA channels (until sky replace all the cards at which point the card doesn't work for FTV channels).
FTV - free channels but are encrypted
FTA - free channels with no encryption
Community Veteran

Quote from: doris
I am with Sky for tv only. Our package is tailored to give its channels we want but not box sets or hd. This was agreed with sky for £20 a month. A few months ago out rise to £21.10. Not a massive rise, and acceptable.
I find today they've taken £30.00 out of my bank by direct debit. That's a 50% increase in seven months. Sky themselves state that they will only put prices up once in a contract. And that if the price goes up by more than 10% the customer may leave without penalties.
Before I phone then, fits anyone know if any consumer law gives me any rights, to either leave without penalty out a refund or both?
I know when I phone them I will be given the run around, and it would be great to have all the facts to hand to empower my position. Any links will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Ps.  Would do this myself, but at work and using phone so it's very slow to do lots of searching.  Sad

before you start storming in like a rhino blurting out consumer rights, you should simply call sky and ask for the £30 charge is for.
it might simply be a mistake. it might not be, but only sky can tell you that.
only then, once you have an answer, can you then proceed with any line of enquiry regarding cancellation.
Community Veteran

Quote from: chenks76
well he shouldn't have been charged.

I can only conclude that Sky probably 'ripped him off' them, he specifically asked about Freesat when he called to cancel his subscription and was told he'd need a new viewing card which he paid for and they sent.
I'll find out towards the end of this month whether my viewing card continues to provide FTV chanels on the Sky box before I unplug it.
Is a first generation Sky+HD box worth anything on ebay or should I just put it away in a cupboard?
Call me 'w23'
Community Veteran

first generation as in the Thomson Sky+HD box? if it is then it's worth about 1p.
sky no longer support them and won't pair any cards to them when asked.
if it's any of the other older HD boxes then probably worth about £10-£15 max on the second hand market.
Community Veteran

Correction then:
Quote from: w23
should I just put it away in a cupboard bin?
Call me 'w23'
chuffchuff
Rising Star

Call centre is in India, be prepared for the big runaround  Undecided
Community Veteran

Quote from: chuffchuff
Call centre is in India, be prepared for the big runaround  Undecided

call centre in scotland too.