Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

christmas lights on a phone line

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

christmas lights on a phone line

One of my friends asked me if you can put christmas lights on a unused phone line to liven up the street.
He works for one of those platform lifting companies so he can easily get a platform to rent.
will bt allow this or not? 
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: christmas lights on a phone line

Not
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Absolutely not!! 
a)  It's BT property
b)  It's not designed to take a load
c)  Mains wiring and phone wiring should not be run in close proximity without adequate mechanical protection
I do hope he was joking... Roll eyes
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I'll let him know.  Only as it was unused for 20 years and BT has never bothered and disconnected at both ends on exchange and in the house so it's just a wire.  It can't even be reactivated
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
pwatson
Rising Star

Quote from: NorthEasterner
Only as it was unused for 20 years

Even more reason for an emphatic No!!!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

and..... you would be prosecuted for doing so....
It is an offence to interfere with BT property..... so... even pinning a "for sale" notice could get you into trouble...  let alone stringing xmas lights. up.... and in case you were thinking.... don`t even try to put a "support" wire/rope" across using the pole..... same thing... "interfering with BT property"....
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: NorthEasterner
I'll let him know.  Only as it was unused for 20 years and BT has never bothered and disconnected at both ends on exchange and in the house so it's just a wire.  It can't even be reactivated

That doesn't matter. It's still BT's and they'll still get incredibly snotty and hostile about it. Don't upset BT, they're a nasty bunch to deal with. The less dealings you have with them the better.
There may also be planning implications (along with the usual health and safety malarky) with the council too.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Go for it!! Cheesy
Use some cheap solar power/battery led lights...and deny all knowledge. Shocked
They are light enough to do no harm...I've seen pairs of shoes hanging over telephone lines for months, so a strip of lights won't hurt. But most important of all...deny all knowledge!  Grin