cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cheapest way to phone Kenya on mobile

Community Veteran

cheapest way to phone Kenya on mobile

Hi
My son's girlfriend is off to Kenya for 4 months in a couple of weeks.  Obviously being young love-birds, they want to be able to talk to each other during that time. (What happened to the good old-fashioned love letter I hear you ask  Wink)  Does anyone know the cheapest way for them to stay in touch via mobile (They've obviously considered Skype to Skype, but I understand that internet access is patchy)
John
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: cheapest way to phone Kenya on mobile

I was in a similar situation a year and a half ago with a friend (not 'love bird') in Russia, and my solution was to use VoIP. Provided your son's phone is vaguely advanced he should be able to install something like Skype or Fring to it. Skype would allow him to use Skype's normal-phone-calling service, whilst Fring would allow him to use any other VoIP's provider's service, such as the one Plusnet offer. I used Plusnet and only ended up paying something like 5-7p/minute - safe to say that's a fair bit less than my mobile company would have charged.
Fixes: 105

Assuming you son's g/f gets a mobile or sim whilst in kenya then looking at this http://callchecker.moneysavingexpert.com/intcallchecker/kenya-mobile he can call for 5pm a minute.
It'd be expensive for her to use her uk mobile for incoming calls but wouldn't cost your son anything.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

First thing to save serious money, your son's girlfriend should not use her UK (presumably) provider for mobile calls in Kenya for making or receiving either local or international calls. International roaming has high charges for all incoming and outgoing calls. Typically £1.50+ per minute to call and the same to receive calls
Her UK phone will work in Kenya so it would best to buy a sim card in Kenya and use it in her own phone. That will enable local phone use at local prices.
As you mention, internet coverage is patchy but so is the mobile network which is concentrated in the south and more less non existent in the north.
Couple of options for cheaper calls to Kenya for your son
A Skype subscription for unlimited Country (£1.95 pm) includes a skype to go number. This is a UK geographic number that can be called from a landline or mobile which accesses the Skype system, Then the Kenyan number can be dialled. Skype will charge their per minute rate applicable
Kenya £ 0.160, Kenya - Mobile £ £ 0.227, Kenya-Mombasa £ 0.147, Kenya-Nairobi £ 0.147.
There are telephone discount sites that offer a prefix number for international calls at reduced rates
http://www.telediscount.co.uk/ charge £0.10 to landlines and £0.20 to mobiles. I use this regularly and it is very reliable.
For calls from Kenya to your son I would suggest researching the availability locally of prepaid calling cards which is a common system in Africa for calling overseas.