cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

changing my car

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

changing my car

Several weeks ago I purchased a car in a private sale and as part of the deal used mine in part exchange. This took place on a Saturday afternoon so phoned my insurance company (A very large company) to change the ownership details. I was advised that on weekends and bank holidays they could only deal with accidents and any change of ownership details would have to wait until Monday.
Like most insurance policies mine says.. you can drive a car not owned by you in addition to the one you are insured for, so I am in the position of owing this other car but unable to drive it.
This may not seem like a major inconvenience but I was some distance from my own home so an additional journey was necessary on the monday.
Took this up with the insurance company who just were not interested so in the unlikely event you change your car like me and use yours in part exchange bear the above in mind.
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: changing my car

did you cancel the policy and change to a better insurance company?
Community Veteran

No I did not change my policy because they are crafty on that one, you usually end up paying to the end of the month plus some administration fee but when it comes to renewal you can bet I will not be insuring my car with them again. In fact it pays to change your insurance every year and not just stick with the same company. This applies to all insurance policies and not just car insurance.
Lurker
Grafter

Quote from: gleneagles
In fact it pays to change your insurance every year and not just stick with the same company. This applies to all insurance policies and not just car insurance.

*May not be fact.
I'm with the same insurer I was last year - nobody wanted to match their best offer.
Fixes: 47

Last time my car insurance was due for renewal I ran my details through 3 comparison sites and my current one came out best so naturally I stuck with them. Smiley
No doubt someone will now tell me comparison sites are a waste of time Roll eyes
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 105

Comparison sites are a waste of time.
(I may or may not agree with the above statement)
Will Moderate For Thanks

I might have known Roll eyes Wink
Lurker
Grafter

You might not have known too. Tongue

Ahh but I used the comparison sites so I did Tongue Smiley
/checks the forum name and breathes a sigh of relief
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
... I ran my details through 3 comparison sites and my current one came out best so naturally I stuck with them. Smiley

But ... did you contact you current insurer to find if they could give you a better deal, they usually can!
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran

so if your insurer matches any other deal then the renewal quote they sent you was a rip off in the first place. As a valued customer you should get the best quote when it comes to renewal and not have to go looking for it. It's not like we are talking about a few pounds, in some cases it can run into 3 figures.
Lurker
Grafter

Only Strat and myself offered any insight into how we had found our prices in comparison to others - and we both said our current insurer was cheaper than anybody offering a new deal.
We didn't say our insurer had to match a deal somebody else offered - they were already better than the competition. Cheesy

Quote from: godsell4
Quote from: Strat
... I ran my details through 3 comparison sites and my current one came out best so naturally I stuck with them. Smiley

But ... did you contact you current insurer to find if they could give you a better deal, they usually can!

Actually I ran the comparison after receiving my renewal notice through the post. The 'online' quote from my current insurer was slightly higher than my postal quote but still the lowest of the comparisons.
Denzil
Grafter

Forgiveme if this is a silly question, but if...
Quote from: gleneagles

Like most insurance policies mine says.. you can drive a car not owned by you in addition to the one you are insured for,

why could you not drive it? You will have to check the small print, but most comprehensive policies allow you to drive any other car with third party cover.
itsme
Grafter

Yes but you can't own the car you are driving under 3rd party and I believe that it also have to be insured by the owner. The OP had just brought the car so is the owner.