cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

changing credit card security code hourly

darklight1
Dabbler

changing credit card security code hourly

I've been watching the news on tv this morning, some news about a new credit card with a constantly changing security code, may be coming sooner or may be later, what i'm wondering is, what of those people who use there card like with amazon or here with plus net who pay there monthly broadband or fibre connection bill, with a security code changing every hour it won't be able to take a payment automatically, i know it will combat credit card fraud yes, but it will make online payments very inconvenient i can imagine, unless plus net makes some sort of a system so the user needs to be prompted to enter the security code each month, there will be a lot of people getting cut off.

12 REPLIES
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Re: changing credit card security code hourly

PN has been promising a new payment system for years Embarrassed

i doubt this will make them work any faster

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Cash or cheque?    long time since those words have been heard.... but they are most secure methods of payment !!! ..

SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 53

Cheques bounce, cashier cheques and cash can be forged all too easily. So not really secure.

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

darklight1 wrote:

................unless plus net makes some sort of a system so the user needs to be prompted to enter the security code each month, there will be a lot of people getting cut off.

At last an optimist. Grin  Plusnet have been forecasting an update of their billing system for more than 5 years. 

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

"Cash or cheque?  long time since those words have been heard..."

Both were promissory though, credit card is the real deal machine even though it's invisible.... at least until the bailiffs turn up! 

Rarely if ever carry cash these days, offer a cheque and they'll assume you've wandered off from an old people's home.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

MauriceC wrote:

At last an optimist. Grin  Plusnet have been forecasting an update of their billing system for more than 5 years. 

I'm surprised they haven't been fined, like a few other companies, considering the never ending stream of ex customers who still get billed and money taken from their accounts.

harrym1byt
Rising Star

Banks have been trying to do away with cheques for some years, because of the need for manual handlng. The are not that secure, they often slip through with no signature. My own bank refused to accept one I had written, because they said they didn't have a copy of my signature on file - they did, but simply had not realised.

jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

darklight1 wrote:

I've been watching the news on tv this morning, some news about a new credit card with a constantly changing security code, may be coming sooner or may be later, what i'm wondering is, what of those people who use there card like with amazon or here with plus net who pay there monthly broadband or fibre connection bill, with a security code changing every hour it won't be able to take a payment automatically, i know it will combat credit card fraud yes, but it will make online payments very inconvenient i can imagine, unless plus net makes some sort of a system so the user needs to be prompted to enter the security code each month, there will be a lot of people getting cut off.

I don't suppose you have a link to this story? Just that I'd like to see how they propose it would work.

John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

The technique has been around for ages. You carry a token (card) which has a "random" number generator with an accurate time clock built in.  A new number every 30 seconds or so.The central server, knowing your card id and the time can generate a number to match your unique  "random" number. Thus it verifies the correct card is being used. There's normally a second password known only to the card holder, so to access the system you need to have both.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

@Mook - thanks muchly - refreshed my mind that I had read that (or a very similar article) in the past.

John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

It's basically the same rolling codes system that is used in most car remotes but adapted for use in the financial services.

And we all know that the rolling codes system can be cracked don't we.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!