Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

carrier bag legislation

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro

Re: carrier bag legislation

Quote from: chenks76
and i've also mentioned that it appears (in scotland) anyway that we get charged for paper bags as well.
You can get the full legislation here if it helps. http://carrierbagchargescotland.org.uk/
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: nanotm
At the time it was correct, some hangover from the green party legislation that priced disposable bags higher than reusable bags, haven't been there since we moved back to the UK so no idea how things have changed, but I do remember that prices differed between each stadt

And which town/city was this in? I've been regularly to Hamburg, Munich, Stuttgart over the the last 10 years and I cannot recall plastic bags costing more than either 15c or 20c in supermarkets.
Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 2

as I said it was over a decade ago, in the time since then there have been several changes across the EU harmonising price strategies across the entire euro zone so everyone knew how much they were paying for something no matter where they were, prior to that you had fuel prices of less than half a euro in France but more than an euro in Italy, cds in Spain were half the price of those in the rest of the EU and so on.
as it happens I lived within the SFA region where shopping bags were expensive but beer was a lot cheaper and night out for 6 people at a steakhouse cost less than €50 including the 3 course meal and around 9 pints of larger each, the same meal in Hamburg at the same franchise chain cost over €200 but other things were cheaper /
harmonisation rules were brought in to reduce carbon footprint by removing the need to travel to save money on everyday things (the meat market at verden was the cheapest in the whole of Germany but a similar market less than 50km away was the second most expensive in the whole country yet you bought from the same vendors to same items for example..) and to a degree they worked, almost immediately after those edicts were issued came the harmonisation of road regulations, and a whole host of other things were "harmonised" all under the guise of reducing global warming, yet the real things that affect global warming (lack of trees) were ignored and still are being to the detriment of the planet/
not that it matters much to me, but when I lived in Germany there was no upper speed limit on the autobahn and the majority of people regularly drove in excess of 100mph except for where road signs indicated otherwise......just one of thousands of simple things that make me utterly hate the entire EUSSR, and the biggest joke of all is road deaths have gone up instead of down on those roads in spite of all the so called safety campaign nonsense they put out when announcing the limits .....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: nanotm
as I said it was over a decade ago, in the time since then there have been several changes across the EU harmonising price strategies across the entire euro zone so everyone knew how much they were paying for something no matter where they were, prior to that you had fuel prices of less than half a euro in France but more than an euro in Italy, cds in Spain were half the price of those in the rest of the EU and so on.

You are aware that the Euro only began circulating in Germany in 2002? So it cannot have been much more than a decade ago.
I somehow doubt people were paying €1.50 for a plastic bag in Germany. The supermarkets have been charging for them since the 1970s and they have never been €1.50 unless someone was scamming you.
It also has nothing to do with harmonising price strategies. There is a recycling tax on plastic bags in Germany on supermarkets, hence they pass the cost on to the customers.
Petrol for less than 50c in France? More rubbish from you. Check here until your heart's content - http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/fuel/fuel-price-archive.html
Highlighted
Pro

For what an annual average price based on the price charged at a single station in Paris recorded twice a month..
Just like every other country on the planet fuel prices vary from forecourt to forecourt even within franchise groups, and often since they pay per mile for delivery then closer to the refinery is cheaper than further away, and FYI the price at the pump for petrol was 49.995 cents per litre at the station before the Belgian boarder, the next cheapest place to fill up that I found was in Holland and after that the prices were all close to the 1€ mark.
I realise you didn't experience such things and probably don't remember the uproar but uk prices jumped from the slow creep upwards to being over a pound a litre and people were protesting about it, in 04  things got so bad that police and military personnel were posted to designated petrol stations as all the rest ran dry and prices were over £2/ltr in some garage's
All that started as sanctions were levied against Iraq and the oil supply was disrupted then the gulf war kicked off and a couple of weeks later the oil was flowing, then opec switched their production rate down to drive prices up and coupled with labour's fuel price escalator pump prices leapt from around £0.90/ltr to £1.21/ltr on average forcing businesses to collapse and that snowballed into what became the global financial crash.....
But that's all history since the EUSSR has been implementing price harmonization within the eurozone on everything largely to stop peoples from relocating due to the cost of living or the size of the benefits package but the latter keeps getting stalled as some member states can't afford the implementation or uplift costs
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Petrol has never been below 50c in France - and we're talking about less than 35p a litre based on historical FX rates. Oh and you will find they only quote petrol prices to two decimal places in France, not three; so I have no idea what imaginary petrol station you visited on your travels...
And why start rambling about the gulf crisis? What on earth does that have to do with petrol prices in France 10 years after the gulf crisis?
Whatever you're smoking, I would give it up.
Highlighted
Pro

because it points out that you have zero idea what your talking about, the second gulf war was all about oil under the guise of pacifying a nation that supposedly supported international terrorists (although no hard evidence was ever produced) while the year before hand afghan was invaded by British and US troops, there was a fuel starvation problem that didn't affect Europe which already bought most of it via a pipeline from a different supplier, uk prices were skyrocketing yet continental prices remained low, indeed companies like stobart's were relocating to new mainland EU places to take advantage of the cheaper fuel prices.
also worth noting that there was a refinery in flanders as little as five years ago /
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

don't feed the trolls
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

And what has all that got to do with the current legislation that I pointed out in the original post.......    absolutely naff all.....
(yeah I know chitchat can go off topic,    but  ..... really..................... all this waffle about Germany and petrol prices in  France and the EU and  the Gulf war, and anything else that has got the most tenuous remote link to the price of our carrier bags, is taking it a bit too far off topic.)   
I only posted it as a "heads up" in case others had not realised it ..... not for an international war on plastic bags versus hessian bags, or supermarket against supermarket...
Highlighted
Pro

Everything, since plastic is made from a derivative of oil.....
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: shutter

I only posted it as a "heads up" in case others had not realised it

I realised it, last Year !  Wink
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,127892.0.html
Quote from: PlusComUK
A 5p charge for plastic bags expected to cut their use by at least three-quarters will be introduced next year, the Queen will tell Parliament Wednesday.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

And my original post has given up to date info on the subject,..... not historical expectations, or anecdotes about life in forren countries...
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: shutter
forren countries...

You keep on misspelling Foreign as forren !
Why is that ?
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Just to annoy you....  Grin Grin Grin
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Now that's a thought !
We are off to a Foreign country where the "Gas" is $2.06 per gallon, then onto another where the "Gas" is priced at $2.83 !!
Though we hate the Paper bags in  both Countries.