carrier bag legislation

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: carrier bag legislation

Quote from: w23
From https://www.gov.uk/guidance/carrier-bag-charges-retailers-responsibilities
Bags you charge for
A bag is considered as such if it has an opening and isn’t sealed. You must charge at least 5p a bag for carrier bags that are all of the following:
unused - it’s new and hasn’t been used previously for sold goods to be taken away or delivered
plastic
with handles
70 microns thick or less
So, McD's needn't charge for paper bags in England under the new regulations.

will need to check the scottish legislation then, as mcdonalds are charging for the paper bag.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Aldi have been charging for bags for 20 odd years I've known of them, so it's nothing new, nor is it going to solve the problem of endless streams of bags being binned... Grin
Oh, and I use a £10 rucksack, so I'm good... Grin
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

It hasn't stopped the binning of bags up here either. Just now it is the 10p (BFL ones) that are binned instead of the "free" (5p) ones.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

I wonder how long it will be before the supermarkets find a way round this. They could offer bags made from other materials for example. We'll see Wink
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Lidl offers cloth bags, and the big four offer Hessian-type bags aswell as bags made out of polyester fibre, so still nothing new there for them, but bog standard bags, who knows, maybe eventually we'll go back to the pre-carrier bag days where people took baskets, bags and trollies of their own rather than use plastic bags... Grin
Highlighted
Community Veteran

The supermarkets won't want to lose business so they will be working hard to address this situation.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

in what way would they lose business?
it applies to ALL shops, so the supermarkets are at no disadvantage to any other shop.
and in what way would they address the situation? they must charge 5p for a bag, so there is no way around it.
Highlighted
Fixes: 459

I have had 3 Tesco 'bags for life' for a long time.....my daughter also uses them for our her trip to Aldi.
The only shop where I take advantage of plastic carrier bags is Iceland.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 79.0 (64-bit)

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: chenks76
and in what way would they address the situation? they must charge 5p for a bag, so there is no way around it.

They simply find bags made of some other material to give away. In the US there is still the choice between plastic and paper.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

yet Tesco/Asda/Morrisons etc in Scotland have not done so, and have continued to just offer the same bags as they always have.
and i've also mentioned that it appears (in scotland) anyway that we get charged for paper bags as well.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
In the US there is still the choice between plastic and paper.

But even that is becoming a thing of the past as they're finding that paper bags are hard to sustain, and are just as single-use as most plastic carrier bags if not used properly...
Actually, that reminds me of when I had some stuff sent over by my friend over there, he used Walmart bags as packing material (wasn't breakable stuff, just needed stuff jamming in to stop movement in transit), and I reused them at Asda, got a few odd looks from the staff as at the time their own bags were printed as "Asda - Part of the Walmart family", and seeing some entirely different, grey-coloured bags with their parent company's logo on it seemed to confuse them... Grin
Only got a couple of uses out of them before they gave up the ghost though, but it was fun while it lasted...  Grin
Highlighted
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: chenks76
in what way would they lose business?
it applies to ALL shops, so the supermarkets are at no disadvantage to any other shop.

Referring only to England...
Not quite. The fee applies only to retailers with more than 250 full-time equivalent  employees.
Some small shops are run by businesses belonging to franchises and it is the number employees of the business running a shop not the total number of shops in the same franchise that counts.
For home deliveries there appears to be scope to deliver in paper bags or plastic bags without handles /  sealed bags with handles without charging a fee. There also is scope to sell heavy duty bags for 5p+  and exchange old for new free of charge.

Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 2

when I lived in Germany your choices were buy cloth bags for €1.00 or naff plastic ones for €1.50, it got expensive if you went with plastic and half the time they would break before you got them into the car (always saw people having trouble) personally I had about 50 cloth ones stashed in every hidyhole my car had and all over the flat being used for various things, I still have the majority of them now more than a decade later and they are far more user friendly than a lot of the hessian type stuff the shops have been flogging over here, every now and then I will go to lidl and buy a couple of larger ones because I forgot to take enough with me but rarely have I used a disposable carrier in the last decade out of choice, i would prefer they followed the same price model and used the extra cash to buy up large tracts of land and planted trees on it to let nature clean the air the way it has done for millennia rather than investing in weird and wonderful carbon capture technology that then suffers from leaks .....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: nanotm
when I lived in Germany your choices were buy cloth bags for €1.00 or naff plastic ones for €1.50

Are you sure you have the correct price for the plastic ones?
Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 2

At the time it was correct, some hangover from the green party legislation that priced disposable bags higher than reusable bags, haven't been there since we moved back to the UK so no idea how things have changed, but I do remember that prices differed between each stadt
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you