cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

carrier bag legislation

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

carrier bag legislation

Just been shopping in Morrisons, and by chance, I saw a notice on their customer service desk saying.....
Due to legislation, Carrier Bags will be charged at 5p each from October 5th.
A donation will be made to charitable causes

So... get your stock in now..... and/o  buy one (or many ) of those " bags for life "....
62 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: carrier bag legislation

been in place in Scotland for quite some time
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Yep since LAST October. Used to make me wonder when I visited Yorkshire last month and they still had FREE bags.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/carrier-bag-charges-retailers-responsibilities
Marks & Spencer have (I believe) been charging for their bags for quite a while now.
Not sure how this will work on self-scan tills.
@HMcB, how many did you manage to take home?  Cheesy
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I used a few in the caravan, but only one made it back home. We tend to have several BFL's in the car now, so rarely need/use the disposable ones.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Will they offer refunds if we return the bags?
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

If they charge money for them I'd assume they must be covered by the Sale of Goods Act ('fit for purpose' etc.).
Not sure if you'd get a refund but they should offer an exchange for faulty ones.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

was over in Spain few weeks ago, and all the shops there charge 5c for a bag.
Community Veteran

A penny cheaper, wonder if there's any 'duty free' limit?  Cheesy
Call me 'w23'
alanf
Aspiring Pro

The charge is for single use carrier bags so I don't see how a refund would be due unless they fall apart before getting home.
I have read in the terms for home grocery delivery an explicit statement that although the company (Ocado?) will take back unwanted carrier bags there will be no refund of charges paid.
Not all of the 5p charge will go to charity as there is VAT included which will go to HMRC. There has been some discussion that all such VAT should be passed back to good causes.
M&S self service tills ask how many bags you have used. So the system, like with other goods, relies on the honesty of customers and vigilance of staff to ensure that the correct bill is paid.
Community Veteran

Possibly before the deadline the supermarkets will give free 'bags for Life' away. I seem to remember that a few years back Sainsbury's gave them away for a limited period.
Community Veteran

i've always been slightly dubious about McDonalds charging the 5p for their paper bags at the drive thru/takeaway.
is a paper bag also classed as "single use" under this legislation?
i thought the purpose of it was to reduce the amount of plastic bags, but it's being applied to paper bags also.
at the drivethru when i was asked if i wanted a bag (at a cost of 5p), i said no. and when i went to collect it was handed to me in the bag anyway.
it seems they actually have no process for delivering the food thru the drive-thru window unless it's in a bag.
Community Veteran

Quote from: alanf
The charge is for single use carrier bags so I don't see how a refund would be due unless they fall apart before getting home.

For a while (around a year ago if I recall correctly) a lot of my Tesco ones did exactly that - they seem a bit better now, definitely needed two bags for anything heavy/breakable, hopefully paid-for bags will be adequate quality and won't need 'double bagging' at extra cost!
Didn't know McD's charged for bags - pretty sure I've never been charged - is this a regional thing?
From https://www.gov.uk/guidance/carrier-bag-charges-retailers-responsibilities
Bags you charge for
A bag is considered as such if it has an opening and isn’t sealed. You must charge at least 5p a bag for carrier bags that are all of the following:
unused - it’s new and hasn’t been used previously for sold goods to be taken away or delivered
plastic
with handles
70 microns thick or less
So, McD's needn't charge for paper bags in England under the new regulations.
Call me 'w23'
Community Veteran

well i'm in scotland and we have the single use bag law here.
McDonalds (in scotland) are applying that law to their paper bags.
they have a sign up advising, and the new drive-thru's with the screens display it.
Community Veteran

Refunds = recycling of carrier bags. The object is to reduce waste after all.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.