magnetism2772
Grafter

can you recommend a CHEAP car insurer

It was an expensive   thing to do !
to look at insurance for a car using the usual web insurance  comparison
sites
all though the site fetched 40 insurers
they were all more expensive than the quote for this year from my own insurer
3rd party  by itself was more expensive than third party fire and theft in most of the cases
so folks 3rd party insurance will cost you more than adding with it fire and theft
for just  third  party insurance only for another £20 on top I could have had fully comprehensive insurance
from the same insurer
after looking at these comparison sites
and knowing the site receives some kind of payment for acting as middle agent
and then after seeing  a few companies wanting £400 or near about
to insure a small engined car  ,I've decided the sites are magnets for expensive insurers
so I'm looking for a deal  with a new insurance company  who is recommended by  its word and mouth customers
and not these  comparison web  sites
cheap deals from insurers -  names please - TIA
15 REPLIES
magnetism2772
Grafter

Re: can you recommend a CHEAP car insurer

one more extra thing on these comparison sites
one insurer registered to use  it ,had the cheek to  quote  for car insurance
and add onto the car quote extra's and compulsory add them to a final quote
and nowhere could you  deselect  from a purchase for any of  these(extras)
I'm wanted to say , but i don't want that, or that
Community Veteran

I got the best value for money deal from Royal Bank of Scotland
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

It's what happens when you try to claim that counts!
Having a London postcode helps.
SAGA (with a big excess) helps.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I've just been through it as well. Comparison sites all more expensive than my current insurer, then some want to phone you, PAH! The whole idea is that I do it on-line  Crazy
Ended up with my current insurer, but via a NEW quote not the renewal quote was £50 cheaper  Shocked Again with comprehensive + protected NCB was about £30 dearer than TPFT  Crazy
Not had to claim so can't say how good they are, but I am with Morethan.
Community Veteran

last year I searched the market and ended up with Aviva.  Very pleased I did as I got excellent service from them when I had a claim.  I would recommend them to anyone wanting car insurance.  I also switched my home contents and building to them.  They give an extra discount the more you have with them.  I also have my private health and a bond with them so that got my premium even lower.
Community Veteran

I had Saga last time and had to claim when some one skidded into my driveway and hit my car, it was a nightmare. They use a company called Claimfast to handle the claims and they are hopeless. It took from February until September to get it all sorted out including the car being returned to the repair shop three times to get it right. The whole process was so poor that they actually paid me compensation (after I demanded it) for my cost and inconvenience.
When I renewed I signed up online with Aviva. In the bit where you select your car my exact model was not shown. I followed the instruction and amended the details of the closest model to mine to match my car. I concluded the purchase and paid. When I got the confirmation email the car detail was wrong and was not what I entered. I phoned them and got the call centre in India and could not understand the agent. I called again and got some one I could understand. I tried to explain my insurance would be void because the info was incorrect. I asked him to change the car detail from Audi A4 Quattro to Audi A4 SE 1.9 TDI. He didn't understand and I spent twenty minutes trying to explain the difference. In the end I asked for a refund which he understood and returned the payment to my bank.
I got my insurance from RBS

magnetism2772
Grafter

edited - twin posting
magnetism2772
Grafter

thanks for all that info
on  the issue of saga
saga say they will take 20% off (10% for introductory and  another 10% if i  buy online)
but then say they will take a further  £20 off it too
if i agree to a home insurance quote
a quote is not a confirmation
so the deal from saga is the cheapest it looks good
cheaper than  RBS
i'm having to watch and consider the price as things are so expensive
and only use this particular car occasionally
I  appreciate all your posts
thanks all

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

If you use Saga, and you only do a small mileage, then give an accuate upper limit.
3000 miles costs slightly more than 2000 miles.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Oddball
I got the best value for money deal from Royal Bank of Scotland

Also known as Natwest, Direct Line, Churchill and Greenflag.
I'm with one of the above and the service I've had has been awful but they're the cheapest I can get on a 2.5L car. I started scouting around last year for another company and one came in at £4.4k  Embarrassed Needless to say I stayed put despite the service.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I Tend to change my car insurance every year but you never know how good or bad a firm is until you make a claim.
One year I was with Churchill, when I got the renewal I decided to go through a broker and guess what..they insured me with Churchill again but at a much lower price than Churchill was offering direct. Not sure where the logic is in that.
Community Veteran

Thats a good tip there mate, I'll give that one a go next time round.
I've had the misfortune of having 3 claims - 2 accident and one windscreen. The WS claim was fine - went through Autoglass and that was done and dusted. The 2 accident claims were both a nightmare for me and I'm still arguing one out with them now.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
jmd
Grafter

I was with Saga but this year with change of ca[with smaller engine!]r they upped the bill enormously so I shopped around and went for Churchill.  Used comparison site but got it cheaper by going onto Churchill's site direct.
Incidentally if you buy a new car don't get the GAP insurance offered by dealer - on line I have got it less with ALA  than half what dealer wanted.
Community Veteran

As I mentioned earlier when I had a claim Aviva were extremely helpful.  Part of the service was to put me in touch with solicitors who got me a payment from the third party for injuries.  Aviva paid for this.  I am still awaiting payment from the third party for cost of hiring a car and this is being pursued for me.  The third party insurer is Churchill and if their service is as inefficient for the policyholders as it is in dealing with my claim then I would say steer clear.  The solicitors are contemplating legal action to get my payment for me.