cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

caminito del rey 3 km walkway to get 8.3 m euro overhaul

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

caminito del rey 3 km walkway to get 8.3 m euro overhaul

The President of Malaga Provincial Government, Salvador Pendon, announced that the budget to restore the three-kilometre walkway is €8.3m, financed by the provincial government.
http://www.andalucia.com/antequera/chorro/home.htm (watch the embedded video of the 3km walk)
In view of Spain’s current financial state is this money well spent?
13 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: caminito del rey 3 km walkway to get 8.3 m euro overhaul

the bloke who took that video cant have any brains
since it has been closed since 2006, wont hurt to wait a bit more till there bank balance get OK
Think I have seen that video before
Denzil
Grafter

There are a number of these things around the world - "via ferrata" is the generic term. The internet is slow at work at the moment, and I gave up trying to watch the video, but if the guy who took it is an appropriately experienced and equipped mountaineer then it would be relatively safe.
A lot of people would pay to have a go on something like that, so there might be a good long term business case for it, especially if it helps attract more tourists to the area.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

there was a cable in parts, but apparently not all the way, and the old structure has all but disappeared
Community Veteran

Quote from: pierre_pierre
the bloke who took that video cant have any brains

I agree.
Quote from: pierre_pierre
since it has been closed since 2006, wont hurt to wait a bit more till there bank balance get OK
It depends, during financial contraction it can be very good for governments to embark on projects that are labour intensive and help generate economic activity after completion (Hover dam perfect example of this).  However, I'm not sure this project qualifies on either front, I would need to see more evidence.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I certainly will not be going there spending my tourist money, my knees shake if I so much as stand on a chair and the video made my feel rather odd.  Fantastic scenery though, maybe they could install a turnstile to take tolls  Cheesy
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
itsme
Grafter

There are trained guides who do take visitors along the path. As you will gather from the video on this page, this is not a trek for the faint hearted - or those with vertigo.

Is this another misuse of the word vertigo?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: itsme

Almost certainly but I think that as it's the Chit Chat forum it is probably acceptable to use colloquialisms or common usage terms rather than technically accurate ones.  I blame Hitchcock.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

Quote from: itsme
Vertigo as defined by Prinston Wordnet seems a perfect fit for how I feel when I am high up looking down.
itsme
Grafter

Except it's got nothing to do with height.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

but it bears no relationship to the true meaning
Vertigo  is a type of dizziness, where there is a feeling of motion when one is stationary The symptoms are due to a dysfunction of the vestibular system in the inner ear. It is often associated with nausea and vomiting as well as difficulties standing or walking.
The most common causes are benign paroxysmal positional vertigo and vestibular migraine while less common causes include Ménière's disease and vestibular neuritis. Excessive consumption of ethanol (alcoholic beverages) can also cause notorious symptoms of vertigo. (For more information see Short term effects of alcohol). Repetitive spinning, as in familiar childhood games, can induce short-lived vertigo by disrupting the inertia of the fluid in the vestibular system.
Fixes: 47

Batophobia- Fear of heights or being close to high buildings.
Acrophobia (from the Greek: ἄκρον, ákron , meaning "peak, summit, edge" and φόβος, phóbos, "fear") is an extreme or irrational fear of heights.
Whatever it is I've got it Embarrassed
Acrophobia Undecided I thought that was a fear of scaffolding.
I've seen that video before and find it scary.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
pierre_pierre
Grafter

this one was upladed May 2008 and definitely no safety wire. the video starts by walking over an active railway bridge

pierre_pierre
Grafter