cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

callers putting messages on voice mail 1571

Carnbrea

callers putting messages on voice mail 1571

Just wondered if anyone knows whether callers are charged for leaving messages additional to the time spent connected after so many rings.  The reason I am asking is that callers could be annoyed  that they are charged as soon as the answer voice starts even though they put the receiver down after hearing the first words of the  BT answer phone , in which case I may consider not taking up this facility on my Plusnet Home Phone.
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: callers putting messages on voice mail 1571

Yes they are charged. It's classed as a connection - even if your line is engaged when they get the voicemail.
Stupid isn't it.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I "assumed" that it was chargeable, as soon as the voice message comes on... therefore I did a couple of test calls. to my home number, and counted the "ring tones" before the message actually started. It appears to be 10 rings before it comes on, on my phone.... may be different on yours.. but it gives you some idea as to how soon to put the phone down, and cancel the call before it comes into action....  Wink
Ellis
Grafter

The charge only begins when the ring tone stops, all time after that is chargeable. If you are asking if there is an extra charge for leaving a message on voicemail, then no. Mobile phones start charging when they go from their own company to another company even if the number does not answer. I'm not sure if the same applies to landlines as my packing includes anytime calls (so does not show if it's chargeable).
Carnbrea

4 Dec 11.  Many thanks for the replies. you confirm what I thought.  I only discovered what the implications were this week when I bought a BT Decor corded telephone.  It has a dedicated 1571 button which lights up when there is a message one has not read.  I played back a previous message received on the 1571 system before I had this phone and it was from my dentist reminding me that I had an appointment  next day.  I did not know about this because there was nothing to tell me someone had put a message on the 1571 system, and I did not know about the system anyway.  I remembered I had an appointment  !    I think many people must have messages they are not aware of.  There was nothing to tell me on my old phone to let me know so it means a person has to dial 1571 every day in case there is a message there , even then a person has to know the system exists..
I have an old Panasonic fax phone which records messages but do not put it on often.  The reason being that my brother complained that when he wants to speak to me and I am not at home he is charged for a call when it goes into answer mode.  It is the same position now with the 1571 system so I will probably have to disengage that facility on my Plusnet home phone otherwise he will be discouraged from phoning me,  unless I get to the phone at breakneck  speed!!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

If there is a message waiting for you, the dial tone you hear when you pick up the line should be two-tone one (as opposed to the normal single note tone).
Carnbrea

There you go ......as the expression is.  Did not know it.  I noticed the tone was different on my old phone ; thought the line was just dodgy.    By the way I tried to put an emoticon on my remarks; seems to be a different system from  BBC Points of View.  It is probably in the instructions somewhere ?
Fixes: 47

Quote from: Carnbrea
By the way I tried to put an emoticon on my remarks;

Just click one or more from the row of faces above the text box when you post Smiley
You're allowed up to 3 consecutive ones in each post Undecided Shocked Sad
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation