cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

attaching to a neighbors WiFi

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

attaching to a neighbors WiFi

Colleague of mine in the village has just bought a smart T V. He has no broadband, just landline, no mobile phone (no coverage), he asked about a broadband package.
His neighbor told him 'just connect to mine'.  Is this technically legal - piggy-backing off of somebody else's connection?
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: attaching to a neighbors WiFi

Depends on the T&C's of your ISP to be honest with you.
As far as the law is concerned you could be responsible for what he accesses so unless you know him and trust him I'd avoid that route.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Why doesn`t he sign up to PlusNet? 
itsme
Grafter

Not against t&c unless asking for payment.
Community Veteran

Quote from: DomS
you could be responsible for

not me ............pair of neighbors in the village, both in their 80's, neither use a PC the question is could they share a connection.
I suggested PN, but  we're a market 1 area, PN is expensive.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: journeys
Is this technically legal - piggy-backing off of somebody else's connection?

It's the same as letting a visitor who comes round with their laptop use your wifi. Starbucks offer free wifi as do many cafes, busses, trains...
If sharing someone elses internet connection was illegal you wouldn't see it being done all over the place.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

If the neighbour's said they can use theirs, then, it's legal, if they just connected to the neighbour's wifi without telling them, then it's theft of services... Smiley
Community Veteran

If permission is given then there's no problem.
To be safe your neighbour should protect his wi-fi with a password and give it to your colleague to prevent others using it without permission.
alanf
Aspiring Pro

Neighbours needs to ensure that they are on an unlimited package or they could end up paying extra for broadband usage.
Community Veteran

Quote from: journeys
His neighbor told him 'just connect to mine'.

Sounds like the neighbour isn't concerned about the bandwidth.
Community Veteran

My student neighbours were the same. When I pointed out to them that their wifi wasn't protected they said I was welcome to use it.
Their view was well we're not in during the day so someone might just as well make use of it.
Not that I ever did.

Community Veteran

My router actually has a guest AP included explicitly for guests to use while the rest of our wifi traffic uses the normal / main connection which is encrypted.
When a guest want to use it they connect in the normal way and as soon as they open up a url they get the routers password page. Pretty nifty really.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Of the ten or so nearby wi-fi users in my routers listing nine of them are secure with WPA2-PSK (mine is one of them) two others are BT wi-fi-with-FON which are unsecure. To be fair their signal strength is only "fair" presumably too far away to be interesting to me if I was in to attaching to somebody else's wi-fi, which I'm not.
But what are these two anomalies?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
RobPN
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: Petlew
But what are these two anomalies?

This thread should give you a clue  Wink
or more specifically.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Thanks RobPN, given their signal strength, I don't think I'm going to be connecting to them any time soon.
Having said that, checking my router listing early on a Sunday morning, the list quite often only shows (including mine) maybe two or three other systems, and sometimes the FON connections are much stronger, maybe moving from fair to good. (mine is not unexpectedly excellent)
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.