Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

art revisited

magnetism2772
Grafter

art revisited

One  thing i learned in the twice weekly 2 hour long art periods in school
was just how difficult it was to draw and paint
Using  pencils, crayons or anything else  to create a drawing  on those large white sheets we were all given at
the beginning of the first  art class,  which many off us were still trying to cover  or just fill in , colour to create some kind of drawing
would still be ongoing for many weeks  later
we were expected to complete  each piece of work monthly or  in sometime near  that
I would be lucky to get a score of 5, or 6 out of 10  at school , hence I can understand the modern artist or painter (not sure which is the correct term to call such a worker?)  when they splash paint  or use another modern method to paint
Just recently , I have began to enjoy being  creative  , and boy!!!!! how I would like to paint using water colour paint
perhaps I should not off looked  in at the  local arts and crafts shop and took interest in the brushes, paints and
other drawing material on display there
For around £20 to £30 i could buy all that I need to draw then paint my first picture for many years
I'd love too, perhaps even  after that  to try signwriting
However, as I looked through all the art stock that was for sale at  the end of the shop,  sheets of this and that to paint on,
and a shelf  full  with pro  brushes and other stuff,  but!!! what I wanted I did not find for sale
I thought how wonderful if  this art shop could  also offer, in its many  offerings 
something that might attract me or other newcomers to begin to paint
What I was hoping to find  was a painting kit
complete with paints and  a large sized  art pad full with sheets of new paper ,  each one having already
nicely pencilled in drawings 'like master piece number drawings' where one could happily paint away ,
then with all that , a colour photo of each
showing  how the finished  drawing  will look
However I could not find  what 'for me'  would be  a nice  offering on sale ....
as I'm  looking forward to creating that landscape  Cool
9 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: art revisited

What you want is available, and in surprising places.
Lidl and Aldi often have these in their weekly bargains,  W H Smith sell kits.
But I am lucky have an art shop near me, then also in the two main towns,, Go to where my Sister lives, 35 mile very large art shop
http://www.localsecrets.com/vcwhatsondetails.cfm?id=945609~dennyandacute-s-art-classes-bury-st-edmun...
SRD
Grafter

But don't be surprised if the end result isn't as good as you'd hoped.  MrsSRD runs an art group, she isn't a teacher just does the administrative work to provide a decently lit venue where people can go to spend time doing their art.  It is true that a talented artist will create good work regardless of the materials but those who don't qualify as 'talented artist' but who are just workaday painters will find that using quality materials improves the end product no end.  Cheap paints don't have the depth of colour or spreading ability that quality paints have, cheap brushes don't have the accuracy or finesse, or carrying power.  Cheap paper will allow colours to run or be absorbed unevenly.  Also, water colour painting is extremely difficult, you can't overpaint mistakes, colours run into each other and the delicate touch required for brush use is a tricky skill to acquire.  There are several tutorial books that help a lot, unfortunately MrsSRD isn't here at the moment so I can't suggest individual publications.
Please don't take this as a negative reply, more a suggestion that disappointing work done with cheap materials is not a reason for giving up.  Like most skills practice is very important as is finding the time to work in a quiet situation uninterrupted by everyday problems.
magnetism2772
Grafter

hi pierre_pierre, e1
the kits you have  found
on  http://www.dennybrosshops.co.uk/ottewill.html
are what I am looking for...  thanks
I've not  seen any painting kits for sale in the shops in my area,  their  not stocked  in the smaller shops  
I'll look  in  again at the online shop tomorrow   to look at  the kits on offer for sale Smiley
most people have heard of the great english painter william turner
you might enjoy looking through a slideshow of his works in watercolour ?
magnetism2772
Grafter

Fixes: 47

If I was art enabled, which I am not Cry I would visit this store http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk.
We have one in the Meadowhall retail area and there are others nationwide http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/Pages/Stores.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
magnetism2772
Grafter

hi srd, Strat
SRD it sounds  like  you know a lot about the subject
I heard that painting in water colour is difficult  .. hmm
hence I am hoping  a painting  kit  (willing to spend (£100) and a good day with  plenty of sunshine, together with a little fruit make it easier...
magnetism2772
Grafter

if you do visit turners water paintings website to browse through his 700 plus paintings
you just need to  click on the r/h side arrows you will see on any page  ,just click on 'prev  or next  '  to  run through them all
magnetism2772
Grafter

look at turners water colour painting of Lincoln Cathedral
http://www.william-turner.org/Cathedral-Church-At-Lincoln.html
pierre_pierre
Grafter

my opinion of hobycraft, good for looking at but top end for price