cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

are EU missing anything this morning !

Baldrick1
Hero
Fixes: 109

Re: are EU missing anything this morning !

Now let me think at it from the EU side:

1. We are still paying for the rest of this year so they won't be missing wasting our money (yet). It should however make them scratch their hads when setting future budgets.

2. There will be far fewer voices raised in objection to their ever expanding federalist plans

I find that the final act demonstrated the total undemocratic farce this organisation has become. After the withdrawal agreement was signed by both the UK and EU hierarchy the European 'Parliament' (how many billions a year does this travelling circus cost?) were given the opportunity to debate and approve the withdrawal!

My sympathy is with the subjects of the EU in the other previously independent and proud countries. I suspect that moves will be afoot to stop them being given the opportunity to get out until the organisation collapses in the same way as the USSR did.

Will we be better or worse off in the long term for leaving? In truth we will never know. If it's worse then it will be of our own making, not a third party master or their court on the continent.

rEUnite
Rising Star

@Minivanman wrote:

@Yongy 

...Fortunately Protestant and Catholic values are not far removed from each other neither do they have stranglehold on the host nation  - unlike one we could all name. 

You seem to be either ignorant or very selective in your recall of the interaction of church and state. I suspect the young women who suffered at the hands of nuns in the Magdalene Laundries, having been sent there by the Irish state, might take issue with your view of ‘catholic values’.

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-ireland-laundries/irish-state-held-responsible-for-magdalene-laun...

Edited to add link to Reuters article.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 30

@twocvbloke wrote:

I seem to be missing a girlfriend... 🤔

But that said, I didn't have one before, so, no need to call for a search party... 🤣

@twocvbloke   how about this. then.......?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7952533/Single-man-30-looking-girlfriend-buys-massive-425-b...

rEUnite
Rising Star

Too late to edit my post #32, but missing words after ‘ignorant’. Should say ‘ignorant of the facts or very selective...’. My apologies for the error.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@shutter wrote:

@twocvbloke   how about this. then.......?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7952533/Single-man-30-looking-girlfriend-buys-massive-425-b...

I'm not THAT desperate, may have been "without" for 14 years but there's no way I'd make a fool of myself doing that kind of stunt!!! 🤣

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@shutter 

In part yes, but it still makes no sense. Also noting (and no criticism intended) that the post above includes not one but two quotes neither of which follow on from the previous one.

I give up. 😞

Community Veteran
Fixes: 30

@Minivanman  There is a "workaround"..... remove a few words that are not necessary to the sense of the quotation...

the rule is " full quote " .... 

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Fair enough @shutter and thanks for explanation, seriously, but my reading of those rules and the examples given serve only to leave comments we make somewhat adrift at times.

Add to that a bit of consistency would be nice given how certain past posters had the annoying habit of delivering repetitive reams of horse poo immune from censure. 

Ah well, we work with what we have. 😃

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

@Minivanman wrote:

Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Japan, Iceland....

Whilst I agree with your point, Japan isn't exactly a small country by population (126.2 mill. i.e. 11th most populous in the world).  I notice Wikipedia already describes the EU as having 27 member states; I can't believe it has a population of 447 mill., which would mean it had more than half a billion before midnight last night!

John_Hull
Aspiring Pro

@wotsup I missed those quotes. Could you point me to where they were said?

I do note that for the next 11 months nothing really changes. I'm waiting for the 40 new FTAs to be announced though. They were going to be ready the second after we left.

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

They couldn't be ready since we were prohibited by EU law from negotiating with anyone until after we'd left.  Liam Fox touched on this on Newsnight last night.

John_Hull
Aspiring Pro

So why did he say that there would be 40 FTAs ready to sign the second after we left the EU. You don't think he ... lied, do you?

https://www.businessinsider.com/liam-fox-promises-to-sign-40-free-trade-deals-the-second-after-brexi...

In fairness he has agreed a couple - one with the Faroe Islands and another one.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@John_Hull 

Wales?

😅