cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anyone had there browser freeze..?

kdoug007
Grafter

anyone had there browser freeze..?

last  2  days    has  been a nightmare..  i  even  phoned  PN..
  WHEN  I WENT INTO ANYTHING    EVEN  CHIT  CHAT  , IT  JUST  FROZE...
PN  as  normal  there  fantastic  team.    suggested i close  down  router..
  so i  did  that  AND  changed  my pc  memoary  by  2  digits..
  and  FINGERS  CROSSED.  seems ok,,
  any  others  had that  problemHuh??.
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: anyone had there browser freeze..?

Yes IE8 on more than 1 PC, with windows XP, Initially I though it part of a patch release, will try a router reboot
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Frequently on the suns website!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
kdoug007
Grafter

well since  i turned the  on/off    button  at the back of the PN  router,,, it  has  been  a  load  better,,,
Fixes: 104

Quote from: Sprite

and you admit to that in public?? Roll eyes Tongue
Will Moderate For Thanks
Javert
Grafter

I had the same problem Friday & Saturday - what browser are you using kdoug007?  I'm on IE9.
peter10
Grafter

Same problem here with IE9. Changed to Chrome and no problem.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Yes, been having intermittent freezes (and unaccountable slow downs) for a few days using FF (15.0.1) it usually corrects itself after 20-30 seconds or so. It is the only website in my entire bookmarks list to have this problem. Re-booting the router "seems" to help for a short while, but this may be just coincidence.
FF activity meter usually shows "waiting for Plusnet or community" or something very like it, so I have to say I rather suspect the problem is not my end.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Javert
Grafter

Have had this problem (with IE) since Friday early evening - you have to wait for a page to open - then again to go to the next page - which can take up to a couple of minutes.  Then a message pops up - “Webpage not responding” that’s followed by a message asking “recover webpage?”  Clicking OK recovers the page and everything’s OK - until you want to go to next page!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: dvorak
Quote from: Sprite

and you admit to that in public?? Roll eyes Tongue

Wink
They hav far too much flash on their site along with javascript.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
snozboz
Grafter

I've had a similar issue (though not as often as the OP), but I'm running Safari 6.0.1 on Mac OS X 10.7.5.  I think over the last few weeks it's gradually been happening more often - it was beginning to get to the point of me ringing Apple or taking my computer in to the Apple Genius Bar.  But if it's happening to others on different systems, maybe it's not an Apple-related thing...
For me, the problem isn't limited to specific websites.  When it happens, it's as if my mouse click or keyboard press in the browser has not been registered (to go to a new page, or go back for example) and the browser sits there with nothing happening (no spinning pointer-icon, progress bar or anything).  Then clicking reload (or anything else on the page or window) doesn't do anything.  Then finally it "wakes up" again, and sometimes gives an error or sometimes just goes back to what it should have been doing.
Sounds very hard to pin down!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

snozboz sums it up quite nicely.... My Firefox does the same thing.... Nowt will move it... until you go to ctrl alt del, and then try to stop the process.... somehow this seems to wake it up, and it starts to do what you wanted the mouse to do...!...
Am running the latest "updated" new version of Firefox, but the previous one did it as well....
It is "intermittent" and not related to any particular websites or pages...
CX
Grafter

Ever since Firefox got support for GPU hardware acceleration, I've experienced browser freezing. I always end up having to disable hardware acceleration in Firefox on Windows 7 systems containing nVidia graphics cards (irrespective of GPU generation and driver version). Interestingly, both Chrome and IE9 fine work with hardware acceleration on the same systems without instability.
Hardware acceleration should also be disabled in the Flash plugin, if disabling it in the browser settings doesn't help - I don't think the two are tied together.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I'm still running XP  with "automatic updates enabled", I booted up this morning and had IE8 freeze, had some work to do so switched off and noticed 1 update was being installed. Later this afternoon, have been working for a couple of hours, no freezing (yet).
I did notice the freezing started after a series of updates had been installed.
Wonder if it was a MS bug
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: shutter
until you go to ctrl alt del,

I find a simple "refresh" sometimes clears it, but not every time, just as often the refresh freezes
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.