Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

any other advanced drivers/riders here?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

any other advanced drivers/riders here?

Just wondering if there were any others lurking in these forums Smiley
I am a relative newcomer, I passed my IAM advanced bike test 3 years ago. I would recommend the assessment (free) drive to anyone who thinks they drive well. I thought I was good until I actually started the course  Tongue I now find that it has improved my car driving as well, and the number of times it has got me out of/not into difficulty made the money worth while. The ability to "read the road" better to anticipate what other drivers ago going to do (before they do it) or just being aware of what is happing around (and not just in 1 car front like a lot of drivers I see).
K
88 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: any other members of the IAM here?

In spite of my comments in the other related topic, yes, I've been an IAM member for a number of years, and a ROSPA certificate holder. And I have completed as a guest a (the old) Class 1 police drivers course (I don't know what they call it now) I was lucky enough to get on the course by invitation whilst I was working near the old (now defunct) West London Skid Pan more years ago than I care to remember.
I also started the HPC course, but didn't complete for entirely unrelated reasons to driving.
When I took my IAM test, I was told the biggest single reason for failing the test was "failure to make adequate progress" in other words, driving too slowly. You are expected, if safe to do so, to drive at or near whatever speed limit you are in.
None of this of course stop you from forgetting to remember a speed camera is there.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
None of this of course stop you from forgetting to remember a speed camera is there.

True, but at least you <i>should notice</i> it and not be driving over the limit anyway  Wink
OT: Once when riding from Edinburgh to Thirsk, I counted speed camera on the way down, <b>THIRTY SIX</b> in Scotland (Edinburgh then down A6Cool then <i>FOUR</i> in England. On the A68 there are speed cameras every few miles between St Boswells and Edinburgh , don't try to tell me they are all for stopping accidents, they are on STRAIGHT PIECES OF ROAD with no hazards on it.
The local council are using "Show your Speed" lights now in town (either the smiley face and actual speed or a watch your speed type) , although the one on the road above my house used to flash that it was a 30mph limit when you were doing 27mph!
I put the actual speed in italics there because there used to be two of them and doing the same speed (verified by speedo and gps) used to give readings of 29 and 27mph, although given the 10% error allowance....
Community Veteran

PS. none of these organisations advocate that having completed the course/test, that it gives you a right to treat the roads a a rally contest...quite the reverse.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I became a member of the IAM in 1989 (cars). I was actively involved in my local group, became an observer, demo driver and also a committee member.
The advanced driver training is excellent and I would also recommend it to all drivers.
Partly due to work commitments, I was unable to give the time required and after several years I left the local group. The other reason I stepped away was because I was uncomfortable with the snobbery, clique and politicking at all levels of the organisation.
I also let my IAM membership lapse a few years ago because I began to realise 12 newsletters a year full of adverts and articles about which high up had got their MBE this month was not good value for the membership fee.
So in summary, the concept of advanced driver training is good.  However, for me, the IAM as an organisation leaves a lot to be desired.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Santiago
So in summary, the concept of advanced driver training is good.  However, for me, the IAM as an organisation leaves a lot to be desired.

I tend to agree with you there, I was more interested to see if any other advanced drivers (either RoSPA/IAM why) were members here, I haven't been involved with my local group for a while now mostly due to the fact my bikes are on SORN at the moment than anything else, although I think I will also be dropping my membership at the end of the year (Can't afford the new price rise in membership).
I feel that a level of advanced testing should be offered/made compulsory to both young and old drivers, I passed my IAM test 20+ years after passing my car test, and leaned a lot then, even after the fact I used to drive over 50K miles a year (all over EU with no accidents) as a field service engineer in the late 80/90's, it doesn't matter how many miles you drive it is about attitude and knowledge, passing the basic driving test doesn't make you a <i>good</i> driver just a driver.
I will modify the title of the thread.
Community Veteran

Well, well, I didn't mention it but, I agree about IAM santiago. I did however arrange my car insurance through CSMA (civil service motoring association) which working at Heathrow apparently qualified us for, that advertised in the IAM newsletter, but it became surprisingly expensive, so I moved to Frizell's.

Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
I was told the biggest single reason for failing the test was "failure to make adequate progress" in other words, driving too slowly.

I've never been a member of the IAM etc - but after I passed my driving test - I saw an advert in the Essex Chronicle for a series of advanced driving lectures at PHQ - so I went along and we  were given a trip in a police Jag XJ6 and  then a drive on the skid pan.
II then had a series of about 10 extra lessons with a police driving instructor.
His first words were something like:
"now you have passed your driving test, we'll teach you to really drive" !. And indeed after the first few lessons, I was taught to "make progress" and overtake.
Does anyone remember a series of programmes on advanced driving about late 1970's/early 80's ? - by an ex Hendon driving instructor - and they used a Rover 2000.
Community Veteran

Re: any other advanced drivers/riders here?

Now I'm going to be really controversial here. I have long held the view that driving should be taught at school. It is such an important part of everyday life that I feel if it was taught properly over a long period of time, rather than leaving it to be picked up, some of the yob culture that goes with it may disappear. So many pupils stay on until past their driving test age these days that many could have continuous instruction culminating in the passing of a driving test, with some while still at school.
I could imagine some driving instructors would not be very happy about losing some of their livelihood, but it might make for a better standard of driver among the young.

itsme
Grafter

We could do driving at school as an extra activity 40 years ago and that was at a secondary modern.
Community Veteran

Well the driving instructors may not loose out - as a school teacher would not be qualified to teach driving - but I agree driving skills should be on the national curriculum
Community Veteran

It is in the US.
Driving is one of the lessons taught at high school. It is not driving instruction as such, more of an introduction to driving theory with some practical elements.
Driving tuition is strange in the US as you hardly ever see a driving school car. Kids learn from their parents.
At 16 kids go to a licence centre for a multi choice theory test (hence school lessons) which is done on a computer like a game.. If successful they get a  driving permit (like our provisional) and a booklet ~"How to Drive"~ with sections for Mum and Dad to log the details of the lessons as they progress. They have to train for minimum 6 months with Mum and Dad.
So when they can drive they go back to the licence centre for the test. This involves a drive around the parking lot and some manoeuvres including parallel parking. Some places have them drive round the block. If successful they get their drivers licence at age 16.5 years and jump in one these
Community Veteran

Doesn't sound very professional
They do all sorts of weird things in the USA !
like allow guns too etc
Community Veteran

I think if you buy the truck in the picture it comes with an gun in the glove box as standard. *Joking*
Fixes: 47

No you buy your own at the local supermarket and put it in the glove box. Wink
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation