cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

another easy question

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

another easy question

Hot on the heels of my question about Gold what's the answer to the following ?
Water is made from Hydrogen & Oxygen and by applying a small electrical current it is possible to produce the hydrogen & Oxygen separately.
Seem to remember doing this experiment when I was at school over 50 years ago, so if we can do this how come we are unable to run cars just using Water ?Huh
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: another easy question

no, you are putting more energy in than you would get out from burning the hydrogen  Sad
The strategy being discussed which we call the hydrogen economy is using waste energy form various sources (wind, nuclear) to produce hydrogen using the electrolysis you describe for our cars in future. Using fuel cells or reciprocating engines  Cool
edit - you can use thermal dissociation in nuclear as well as electrolysis
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Unless of course someone discovers some hydrogen mines somewhere!  Grin
Community Veteran

For the conspiracy theorists... http://www.viewzone.com/verichipx.html ; Cheap hydrogen discovery suppressed.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Wish we had the internet when I was at school then I would know the answers to these questions.
Community Veteran

I look at it the other way everybody knows everything but understands very little  Wink
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Denzil
Grafter

Quote from: PeterLoftus
no, you are putting more energy in than you would get out from burning the hydrogen  Sad

Exactly why anyone claiming to power a car on water alone is deluded or fraudulent. You would get back the energy you used in splitting the water, but no mechanical or chemical process is 100% efficient, so you always lose out. The hydrogen would have to be generated by an external power source.
Quote from: AlaricAdair
For the conspiracy theorists... http://www.viewzone.com/verichipx.html ; Cheap hydrogen discovery suppressed.

Nice story, but wrong. If adding the AC speeds up the hydrogen production, it is simply because it is adding more energy. Conservation of energy is such a fundamental concept that in 400 years or so nobody has come anywhere near proving it wrong. (OK, someone will mention Einstein, I'm sure, but that is a bit different, as he showed energy could be converted to and from mass. It is not appearing out of nowhere.)
Community Veteran

but what are we going to put in our cars in future?  Embarrassed
the wind champions want to electrolyse water and run cars on hydrogen, but the hydrogen needs compressing to make the storage capacity cover a reasonable radius of travel. The compression (or cryogenic process)  takes 30% of the energy content of the fuel! The jury is still out on chemical or catalytic storage mediums.
Another alternative is biofuels (bioethanol or  biodiesel) we are not there yet. Present technology leads to Brazil chopping down the Amazon jungle to grow sugar cane or palm oil. In the UK we use rape (granola) or wheat. Eventually, when the technology is developed,  we could keep the food for food and produce our fuel from the stalk and chaff.
What do you think?  Roll eyes
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

If people were well organised they'd have photovoltaic arrays, solar steam generation in the african semi-deserts to produce electricity hence hydrogen to be shipped to the other parts of the world. Local income for them and green energy for the rest of us.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

er semi desert, steam generation - where do they get the water?
Community Veteran

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ..." [Oddball - Kelly's Heroes 1970]
Community Veteran

Perhaps an alternative to the wind farms would be some of these underwater turbines driven by wave power which they are using in Scotland.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

tinto
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
I thought that they were driven by tidal power http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/mar/17/10megawatt-tidal-power-station-approved-hebrides

They are driven by Alex Salmond and his determination to do away with fossil and nuclear power generation, and before you ask about wind turbines, they seem to be procreating faster than the human population. At the weekend I took a short walk on Benarty Hill (1168ft) in Fife: I saw three windfarms and one other walker. Nuff said