cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

and you thought tin foil hats were silly..

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

and you thought tin foil hats were silly..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2909166/Is-wi-fi-harming-children-Experts-warn-childr...
Should you limit how much your children use wifi? Researchers claim young brains are more susceptible to radiation from wireless gadgets
    Controversial report claims that children absorb more radiation than adults
    Warns foetuses are the most vulnerable and mothers should not carry mobile phones in their clothing
    Research has been divided on the subject

We no longer use Wifi ourselves, I turned it off months ago as i was getting concerned that with 4 mobiles, 2 laptops, a wii and a tablet, that we had too much RF EM floating through our home. We're now down to just four mobiles  Crazy
Anyway it's been long known that standing infront of a radar transmitter will cook you from the inside out pretty quickly and these wireless devices despite being low power are around us pretty much 24/7 in some way or another constantly exposing us to their emissions.
So, what are your views? Safe as long as you can't see it (fool) or the unseen threat?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
21 REPLIES
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: and you thought tin foil hats were silly..

'Opinion' may be divided, but there's no evidence to support it...
Given we're constantly bombarded with all kinds of radiation, turning off low powered devices seems like an exercise in futility.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: DaveyH
Given we're constantly bombarded with all kinds of radiation, .

Not if your track suit is made from this:  Silverell  http://www.lessemf.com/fabric.html#1224
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Quote from: DaveyH
'Opinion' may be divided, but there's no evidence to support it...
Given we're constantly bombarded with all kinds of radiation, turning off low powered devices seems like an exercise in futility.

Evidence isn't always immediately available but that doesn't mean that it won't be.
As for the devices being low powered, i don't see the power output as being as much of a risk as i do the amount of time you're exposed to it. A steam cooker for instance has a low heat output but leave it cooking for an hour or two and you'll still have a cooked meal from it. Same goes for RF Emissions - low power devices that are turned on constantly are still going to pose a threat.
DaveyH
Pro

Quote from: 7up

'
Evidence isn't always immediately available but that doesn't mean that it won't be.

It doesn't mean it will be either.
As for the devices being low powered, i don't see the power output as being as much of a risk as i do the amount of time you're exposed to it.  - low power devices that are turned on constantly are still going to pose a threat.

OK. I'll put it another way.
Using inSSIDer I can see a dozen other networks (and that's just devices broadcasting SSIDs) so what difference is turning mine off going to make do you think?
None. Since I'm being slow cooked by my neighbours anyway, by your reckoning...
Community Veteran

Yes you are and thats the point - keeping yours on is contributing towards it.
Your neighbours wifi APs will at least be slightly further away and their signals will be weaker. It's their mobiles that will still be toasting you slowly.
I'm amazed how many people refuse to see the logic in these devices being dangerous and appear to get irritated with the very suggestion (and i don't mean in this thread, i mean other forums, people who talk about it in real life etc). I feel guilty just having a mobile on me in a crowd of people yet others will happily download videos, mp3s or in the case of one of my former colleagues, entire films  Shocked Lord only knows what that will do to him.
DaveyH
Pro

Quote from: 7up

Your neighbours wifi APs will at least be slightly further away and their signals will be weaker.

Not necessarily. That really depends on where I am in the house.
It's their mobiles that will still be toasting you slowly.

Again there's no compelling evidence to support that, so I'll treat it with the scepticism it deserves.
gswindale
Grafter

Should we not also ban ye olde radio as well, just to be on the safe side? While we're at it let us turn off all the TV transmitters.
Better safe than sorry eh?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

No need just don tin foil hats as the title  Lips are sealed
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

You could always do what these teens did and see how fried you are when you get to the top:
http://www.consettstanleyadvertiser.co.uk/news/11076351.Four_teenagers_arrested_for_climbing_300ft_u...
I'm only 2 miles from Pontop Pike and I have no concerns about it's health effects, it's radiation from radioactive materials I'm more concerned about, like what is emitted from granite worktops, they're pretty radioactive, but people have more worries about EM being a problem, priorities and all... Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I remember when I worked at Sellafield that you got your maximum dosage for the year on one international flight  Roll eyes
So I've exceeded anything I get from mobile phones  Cheesy
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

Mobile phones have been around long enough that if there was a problem we would have known about it by now.
This subject comes up frequently but never with any facts to back it up Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

One should never use a mobile phone when refilling the car while smoking at the petrol station.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

I see that many in this thread clearly believe that as long as they can't see it, there is no threat. You must be from the old "Smoking is GOOD for you" brigade that once used to exist (and look how many pensioners now have lung cancer!).
gswindale
Grafter

Just waiting for the definitive proof either way.