cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

and you thought call centre queues were bad!

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

and you thought call centre queues were bad!

I kid you not, the dreaded queue for service has now spread to the cheaper, quicker and more efficient internet.

Yes you got it, you can now be held in a queue for a website - this is hot off the press from Aldi:

screenshot_1026.jpg

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
23 REPLIES 23
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Re: and you thought call centre queues were bad!

What a great idea from a "cheap" operator....  ( compared to the likes of ASDA , WAITROSE, SAINSBURY... TESCO  etc)

Maybe another "cheap" operator  ( compared to BT, Virgin, etc) . could take this up, 

Now, let`s think of who that could be...  (http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,80676.16.html ) may be a clue !.

and look at that... for organisation.... You have a Queue number issued to you

You have an estimated time, to be answered by

You have an estimated waiting time...

Absolutely, superb,.....   something that PlusNet could use with great effect.. to be able to live up to the saying

We`ll do you proud ....

Champnet
Champion
Fixes: 7

I take it from @7up ‘s post that this is a queue just to access their website not a support chat line......

Edit : just tried it and it is.

jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 73

I took it that way, too @Champnet . I seem to remember something like this last year around Black Friday time - was it the Currys/PCW site?

John
Champnet
Champion

I’ve seen sites go down under the sheer weight of visitors but to fall over to a queuing system ?
 I’m impressed. That’s a neat bit of system programming....

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

Could they be under a DDoS attack?  Just a thought ...

Champnet
Champion

Probably more to do with a carrot called Kevin.....

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

... Or Lidl ... Evil

I wonder if @7up  is on commission from Aldi?

He got most of us visiting their site!  Thumbs_Up

ffox
Pro

This isn't new.  My wife is an avid theatre-goer and has been a member of several theatre groups for many years.  A member is entitled to priority booking for the new season's productions when the best/cheaper seats are available - that can mean a significant saving.

Members are told the date/time the booking opens.  When you log in you are allocated a random place in the queue to buy tickets. The worst we have seen is 15,000+  (when one of the productions was Benedict Cumberbatch in Hamlet)!  They don't usually give an ETA but the queue placing is refreshed every minute.  We usually log in on several devices, see which one has been allocated the lowest place, use that one and log out of the others. 

shutter
Community Veteran

@ffox wrote:

When you log in you are allocated a random place in the queue to buy tickets. The worst we have seen is 15,000+  (when one of the productions was Benedict Cumberbatch in Hamlet)!  They don't usually give an ETA but the queue placing is refreshed every minute. 

We usually log in on several devices, see which one has been allocated the lowest place, use that one and log out of the others. 

And in doing so, falsely increase the number of persons trying to access the site...  

(ok... so, you say, you log out of the others,,.... but how many others are also "logged in" on several devices... and do not "deactivate" the others ???????)

ffox
Pro

@shutter   We got the idea from a theatre forum so I guess the answer to your first question would be hundreds.  I would also guess the answer to the second would be very few because the queue moves quickly. 

When I was last at The National I saw a young boy who was amazed that the interval drinks were left on tables with an identifying tag.  "Mother, won't they be pinched?"  he asked.   "No, dear" she said. "That sort of person doesn't go to this type of place!"  

paul_blitz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

When running an "important" website (clearly the Aldi website is VERY important) then (a) you must reposnd within 3 seconds (you will lose 10% of turnover for every extra second!); and (b) you must always respond to your users, whether the site is down for maintenance, has failed, or is overloaded. Users (or should I say "customers") always have the option of going elsewhere.... for Aldi, thta's Lidl....so you need to keep your customers happy.

A happy customer will remain happy as long as they know what's going on..... and that's exactly what this message was doing!

shutter
Community Veteran

This "by-line" ( courtesy of @paul_blitz )  

should be a "sticky" on the top of the Plusnet Feedback page...

A happy customer will remain happy as long as they know what's going on.....

(lots of smiling/winking chinese emoticon faces )

Champnet
Champion

A happy customer will remain happy as long as they know what's going on.....

Why should customers know what’s going on ?  That statement may be covering for other, more serious problems. 

shutter
Community Veteran

Goes something like this..

Hello Plusnet.... I have a problem with my line...... 

Hello customer.... sorry can`t help...

Hello plusnet   why not..

Hello customer... because you don`t need to know what`s going on...Bye Bye ..

Hello Plusnet.....

Heloo