Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

and why we should keep DNA results

pierre_pierre
Grafter

and why we should keep DNA results

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-12019664
A 40-year-old man has been sent to jail for the rape of a woman in Essex 16 years ago.
A review of the case was undertaken in 2008 and DNA put on to the national database. A match was found when Hull was arrested for unrelated offences.
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: and why we should keep DNA results

To the best of my knowledge the UK has the biggest DNA data base on it's citizens per head of population than any other country in the world.
scootie
Grafter

and cctv record, yet some people still are able to blow up the underground
pierre_pierre
Grafter

yes but it did take 14 years for the Evidence to get collected, and now they are going to close the Forensic Lab
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: gleneagles
To the best of my knowledge the UK has the biggest DNA data base on it's citizens per head of population than any other country in the world.

All True.  Sad
Quote from: Asbo
and cctv record, yet some people still are able to blow up the underground

All True.  Sad
N/A

All this forensic stuff is truly marvellous. It goes to show that people who committed crimes years ago and are sitting back thinking they have got away with it need to think again.
However, am I the only one who feels quite unnerved by the feeling that Big Brother is looking over your shoulder?  CCTVs - ugh - I hate them!!!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

we have a problem with east Europeans visting by train, doing their dirty work then leaving, this is the local response http://www.braintreeandwithamtimes.co.uk/news/braintree_news/8735057.CCTV_to_target_Christmas_crime/
pierre_pierre
Grafter

somehow double posted
Community Veteran

It's not the catching of criminal thats the problem, it's the justice department where things need to buck up.
Whats the point of catching criminals if they are going to get a slap on the wrist ? and who is responsible for justice in this country anyway the government or the EU ?
Community Veteran

Quote from: poppy
However, am I the only one who feels quite unnerved by the feeling that Big Brother is looking over your shoulder?  CCTVs - ugh - I hate them!!!

Nope you're not. I don't like it either but the fact is pretty simple unfortunately. With a DNA database crimes are solved. Without it they're not. What worries me however is the fact that the authorities seem to be in overdrive about anything they can call anti terrorism and using it to spy on peoples rubbish bins etc. I think its all getting out of hand. What winds me up even more though is that our rulers seem to be in a crazed state of paranoia like the USA where everyone seems tp be deemed evil unless approved by them and as the recent wikileaks has proven sometimes its your own internal people who are actually untrustable.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!