Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

and about time too

16 REPLIES
Bob_Milton
Grafter

Re: and about time too

In part it says,
Other experts have pointed to the fact that, while there is a national screening programme for breast cancer, there is no equivalent yet for men for prostate cancer, although it claims a similar number of lives

Is this partly due to the fact that the majority of older men who suffer from the symptoms etc of this problem, seem to be shy about discussing it.
They should of course talk to their doctor, but in most cases do not. It is even uncommon for men to talk to their friends about prostate cancer. It is not weakness to seek advice.
There is of course much more publicity about women's troubles. They do, I beleive, talk to each other.
Community Veteran

The reason given for not routinely carrying out the PSA test for prostate cancer is that it can throw up a significant number of false positives which need further investigation.
However I will give as an example the department of about 30 men for which I was responsible when I was working.
Over a ten year period one was diagnosed with prostate cancer in the very late stages and was lucky to survive but two others had it picked up in the early stages because they were entitled to biannual health checkups due to the amount of travelling they did. Both were operated on successfully.
If routine blood tests were introduced for men above a certain age then the detection and treatment would be much better and the number of deaths would be reduced significantly.
Whoops - typo corrected  Embarrassed
Bob_Milton
Grafter

Jim,
I think you meant PSA test.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Well, I approached my GP a couple of years ago, with a view to being tested for prostate cancer -there was another flurry of media suggestions at the time that there was little interest in this for men compared with breast screening for women-
The conversation went something along the lines:
PL "should I be tested for prostate cancer?"
GP "do you have any reason to feel you should be?"
PL "no"
GP "any family history of this?"
PL "no"
GP "any problems passing water?"
PL "a little slow at times"
GP "that's normal at your age, normal at most times?"
PL "yes"
GP "any abnormal swellings?"
PL "no"
GP "I would happily send you for test, but you show no classic signs of prostate cancer, the test is exceedingly uncomfortable, not very accurate. The difference in this context between breast cancer and prostate cancer, is mainly that breast cancer can be very aggressive. Men can have the very slow acting prostate cancer for much of their lives and be completely unaware of it. It certainly can be a cause of death, but the odds are against it.
I didn't have the test.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
firefly2
Grafter

may a lady stick her nose in?  if in doubt get the test done. women are used to embarrassing situations from the word go . child birth etc. and while we are discussing problems, don't forget the bowels too.
I was diagnosed with depression for ages before they finally said that it was ulcerative colitis. you know your own body. better to be safe than sorry.  Sad
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

There is a test now for bowel cancer, which is sent in the post, by the NHS. (to a "certain age group") It is not difficult to carry out, and is done in the privacy of your own bathroom.  On completion, you put the test back in the envelope provided and post it off.... wait about two weeks, and then you get a letter, advising you of the results.
Unfortunately, other forms of "internal" cancer will have to wait for "home surgery" to be improved before the NHS send out test kits. Wink
jmd
Grafter

Another lady sticking her nose in - most men find minor ailments such as colds more worrying than major problems.  They tend to ignore symptoms thinking it will go away.
Community Veteran

A cold is a minor problem that I deal with on a day to day basis..... But when I get the symptoms of flu, then I "die". ! !    Roll eyes  I make myself as comfortable as possible in my bed, take the requisite pills, and hibernate, until it has gone, or improved sufficiently to remain upright for several hours at a time.
Symptoms....?  Unfortunately, I don`t know what symptoms are.... when related to the human body.
If it hurts, then it hurts.....  Cry  Cry  Cry  I don`t know what that is a symptom of, (unless it is obvious, like a  broken arm/leg or serious cut)....  any other symptoms just don`t mean a thing to me.....
Women seem to have this "inbuilt" medical directory, and as soon as a symptom shows itself, know the cause, and remedy without further resort to doctors..... magic ! Cheesy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

When you get a pain in your chest and you think you have indigestion, you have probably had a heart attack  Angry Sad Lips are sealed Undecided Cry
Bob_Milton
Grafter

shutter,
It would be interesting to get your other half's view in regard to your reaction to feeling unwell etc. We applaud you nobly suffering in silence as you appear to indicate.
Can we get her to offer an opinion?
jmd
Grafter

Do you suffer in silence Bob?  or how does your other half re-act when you are in pain/ill? Undecided
Community Veteran

When I get a nasty dose of cold/flu the normal response is "I take added vitamins and minerals so I don't get colds" which worked until I brought a particularly virulent one back from a conference at Winchester College and being a generous soul spread it around.  Grin
Bob_Milton
Grafter

Josie,
I live alone, so it's not worth making a fuss.
But seriously, About five years ago I needed a major operation. It was successful. The consultant (NHS) told me he thought I might have had prostate cancer. Fortunately the biopses didn't reveal any cancer.
Can I say that the treatment etc and help from all NHS staff couldn't have been better.
This only emphasises that you need to speak to your doctor. Mine is fine, he is an Iranian. So at least we gain from immigrants.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Bob
shutter,
It would be interesting to get your other half's view in regard to your reaction to feeling unwell etc. We applaud you nobly suffering in silence as you appear to indicate.
Can we get her to offer an opinion?

Unfortunately , not a lot of that post is true Bob.  Depending on your point of view....
A) it would not be interesting to get "er indoors" reaction. Lips are sealed
B) thanks for the applause.... But I do not suffer in silence..... She keeps on at me all the time  Undecided
C) never ask for her to offer an opinion..... you would not understand it, as it would be totally ill  ogical  Roll eyes