Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

..... and I thought it was just me.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

..... and I thought it was just me.

...... until I read this earlier about YouTube ditching those unskippable ads as I always thought my remote was playing up - not that I watch the channel that much but crikey, it was annoying.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39027650

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: ..... and I thought it was just me.

God knows how they'll clutter up the video now but if they're not going to have long ads anymore thats a good thing.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

@Minivanman

Am I missing something here? I can skip ads after 4-5 seconds on both my Sony Bluray Player and Amazon FireTV Stick when viewing YouTube. Huh

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Me too !... bloody annoying though.... fortunately, not every video has them at the start.. only get one or two

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

If I'm watching a channel I'm subscribed to like the 'Paint Drying' channel I can sometimes go for about 40 minutes before an ad pops up. Last night I discovered you can get around them by hitting the return / back button and start again.

On the subject of YouTube I wonder how they get around copyright laws so easily, the amount of pirated box office movies that make it onto YT baffles me. I even contacted YT about it once but they ignored my email and the movie remained. If I'm ever contacted about watching a pirate movie online I will use that as my defense, well if YouTube are allowed it must be legal right?

Minivanman
Hero

@MKSlinky

I watch it via Amazon Fire TV stick as well, but it does not allow be to skip adverts even though it tells me I can. Most annoying as it's not the adverts per se, it's just being told I can when I can't even after those few seconds. Grrrr.. 

Oh well.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

@Minivanman

I'm not sure what's going on there but it absolutely should. I have no problem doing exactly that. Are you pressing the centre OK button after the 4 or 5 second count down? What I see on mine when an advert comes on is in the bottom right it says 'Skip this Advert in...' and then a count down starts. When it reaches zero I can skip by pressing OK.

I suppose it's remotely possible you may have an older model FireTV Stick than me or maybe it just needs a YouTube update? I believe all apps update automatically however, I could be wrong.

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

@Minivanman

You're not by any chance making the mistake of pressing this button are you?

download.jpg

Minivanman
Hero

Hmm, I wonder. Will check it out later, thanks Thumbs Up

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@MKSlinky  That`s exactly what I get on screen... although it is annoying that you have to watch those first five seconds wondering what the hell is going on...

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

@shutter

Yeah but it's fun knowing that the advertiser never managed to boor you for the full duration. Mostly I can't tell what the advert is for in just 5 seconds.

Community Veteran

When I get an advert imposed on me I always click through several times to show the advert on several browser tabs. I then close the tabs without reading them, content that advertisers are paying for unsolicited interruption of my time.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

@AlaricAdair

We're not talking about browsers..., we're on about viewing YouTube and avoiding the compulsory adverts between videos. Doa'h...Roll eyes