cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

a thought for the Hedukated

pierre_pierre
Grafter

a thought for the Hedukated

The following is an actual question given on a University of Liverpool chemistry final exam.
The answer by one student was so "profound" that the professor shared it  with colleagues via the Internet, which is why we now have the pleasure  of enjoying it as well.

Question: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs  heat)?
Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's law  that gas cools when it expands and heats when it is compressed or some  variant.
One student, however, wrote the following:

First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we  need to know the rate at which souls are moving into Hell and the rate at which they are leaving. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving.
As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different  religions that exist in the world today. Most of these religions state that, if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell.
Since there is more than one of these religions and since people do not  belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to  Hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number  of souls in Hell to increase exponentially.

Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell. Because  Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay constant, the volume of Hell must expand proportionately as souls are added.
This gives two possibilities:
1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.
2. If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.
So which is it?
If we accept the postulate given to me by Sandra during my freshman  year, that "it will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep with you," and  take into account the fact that I slept with her last night, then number 2 must be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is endothermic and has already frozen over.
The corollary of this theory is that since Hell has frozen over, it follows that it is not accepting any more souls and is extinct ...
leaving only Heaven, thereby proving the existence of a divine being -- which explains why, last night, Sandra kept shouting "Oh my God."
THIS STUDENT RECEIVED THE ONLY "A".
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: a thought for the Hedukated

Think that one has been around for some time ...
It is is similar to an alleged psychology exam question. The examination paper posed the question "Why?" the reply to this by one witty chap was a simple "Why Not?" Wink
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran

One of my University finals papers (long ago) had a question that in summary said:
"compose and then answer a question of a standard and topic appropriate for this examination on an area not covered in the syllabus or lectures"
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I always remember one of my Economics exams at Uni.
They made us do a written essay way before the exam (can't remember what on).
But in the exam they asked us to describe exactly the same thing.
So it was a case of regurgitating what I had written for the essay from memory Smiley
Community Veteran

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Knowing where mine came from, I didnt doubt it would be found in snopes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

http://www.snopes.com/college/exam/hell.asp
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)