Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

a "small levy" on all fixed telephone lines to establish a national fund

Community Veteran

a "small levy" on all fixed telephone lines to establish a national fund

BBC
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8102756.stm
Report lays out UK digital future
Culture secretary Ben Bradshaw has been outlining the main strands of the Digital Britain report in parliament.
It includes a "small levy" on all fixed telephone lines to establish a national fund for next generation broadband.
"the Government will consult on proposals for a Next Generation Fund which will be financed through a 50 pence per month levy on all fixed copper lines"
http://www.culture.gov.uk/reference_library/media_releases/6220.aspx
46 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: a "small levy" on all fixed telephone lines to establish a national fund

As I don't actually need a fixed telephone line other than for broadband adding a levy may be the straw that will move me to cable just for broadband.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 55

Given that there are in around 25 million telephone lines in the UK that makes for a tax of £150 million per year - of our money.
itsme
Grafter

Why should my elderly parents pay an extra £6 per year for a Digital Britain when they have no interest in getting broadband. Surely it would be fairer to place the levy on broadband connection? Or is it just easier for the government to add the levy on the Openreach line rental?
Fixes: 104

Because they only like to means test when they are giving out money, not when taking it...
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Even worse - from the same report
All radio stations broadcasting on national and local DAB multiplexes will cease being broadcast via FM by the end of 2015, according to the Digital Britain report out this afternoon.
I don't want DAB and I will probably still be running my car with it's built in FM radio. Also the tuner part of my tuner amplifier will no longer work - great
Community Veteran

Yes - and for classical and other serious music fans - a reduction in dynamic range and frequency response  Sad
But you can get DAB to VHF FM convertors for car's.
The car manufacturers seem slow to adapt DAB ?
Community Veteran

http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/dab/fm_switch-off.htm
Seems to have changed a bit since 2007
The following quote was made by Ofcom's chief executive, Ed Richards, in a speech at the Radio Festival on 10th July 2007:

"With the last FM licence now awarded, and DAB licensing set fair, there are some here today that would like to see a specific timescale set for the end of analogue radio now, similar to that in television.
Let me be clear. We do not believe that Government announcing a swift forced march to analogue switch-off in radio today would be in the interests of listeners or industry."
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Never tried DAB, trouble with digital (with my TV) is at least a bit of a poor analogue signal is watchable where digital isn't.
I don't have a proper aerial in my flat, so I have to make do with a external £20 Argos one .. which does the job.
I don't get a very good signal with Channel 5 (not much of a loss), or Sky 3 (a bit more of a loss, but not much more) so often it'll either break up or the frame rate will be about as good as one of those CCTV videos you see on Crimewatch!
Fixes: 104

I like DAB, as a lot of my listening is 5Live and 5Live Sports Extra.
Also like having Jazz FM, which I lost after moving out of London.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Quote from: mal0z
But you can get DAB to VHF FM convertors for car's.
The car manufacturers seem slow to adapt DAB ?

They are slow because DAB is really UK only, most of the rest of the world have switch to DAB+ higher bit rate, better etc.
I have a Pure Highway that I won from Absolute Radio before xmas, it re-transmitts the dab to a FM radio, does the job, but here in the Scottish Borders even though we are TV Digital ONLY the choice of stations is VERY POOR. I can't even get BBC Radio SCOTLAND! Crazy
I did a trial driving up to Edinburgh, lost the signal for more than I had it, then down to Yorkshire, until Newcastle not a lot of signal.
Community Veteran

Dispite what I wrote earlier, I too like DAB as there are far more channels and one of favourite old time DJ's from Capital radio - Nicky Horn plays rock on Planet and I also get a better signal for stations like Classic FM than I do on VHF FM.
Community Veteran

For levy read Tax Sad  Just another way off putting their hands in our pockets.
Fortunately nothing is likely to happen before an election.  Just heard the Opposition Culture Minister on C4 news and he isn't in favour of the way the government is going about this.  He favours the French model where the national pipe is opened up to competitors to lay their own fibre cables.  BT will not be required to do this.
An interesting fact is that only 15% of the UK population is currently unable to get at least 2 Mb which is the government's target.  Many are in remote places where it is not economical to provide a service.
Community Veteran

considering how much bt charges for the line rental, they can bloodywell take it out of that.  these wretched organisations seem to exist for the sole purpose of dipping their hands into our pockets, like money is worth anything anyway.
abolish usury.  it's killing us.
StickyMick
Grafter

RANT ON
Just been reading about "Digital Britain". If the 50p levy is only going to create a small fraction of what is needed to meet the requirements set out in the report, where's the rest going to come from?
The telecommunications industry has already made it clear that it's not going to put it's hand in it's pocket, so each of us giving them 50p is hardly going to give them the kick up the jacksy they need to start the ball rolling. Look how long it took to roll out broadband to most places itself, and then people had to go on the campaign trail to get it.
Upgrading the exchanges themselves isn't enough, as in the 21CN debacle, because they're only trying to push it down 40 year old copper cables.
Saddam Hussein had a better telecommunications infrastructure in 1991. We built it, we blew it up, and he never paid for it.
RANT OFF Smiley