cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

a brief history of time...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

a brief history of time...

As often happens at this time of year a certain Mr Claus provides me with yet another to my ever growing collection of wrist watches. A corner of my desk resembles a shrine to chronology.
The list includes 3 Seiko's (one an automatic mechanical given to me on my 21st birthday, so is 47 years old in February, still works perfectly <for its type, needing fairly regular adjustment> the two battery Seiko's gave up before they were two years old never to work again.
Three radio controlled Casio's. These have proved to be the most reliable and accurate watches in my collection. When if one of them did cause some consternation with Casio customer services when one of their registered dealer agents refused to change a battery on the principle that they never work properly after being opened. I changed it myself and had it pressure tested at a Timpson shoe repair bar <it was spot on> and its been going ever since. The Casio list doesn't include an Ediface, which is brilliant.
The latest addition is a Citizen Eco-Drive, which in the short time I've had it looks to be very good indeed. Although its not radio controlled, when checked against the Ediface (that is radio controlled) it has been keeping perfect pace with it.
But I have a question....the new Citizen has a Tachymeter feature, I've not had a watch with one of these before. Anybody know what this is supposed to do? The tachymeter is controlled by two buttons stop/start and reset. Started it will run for exactly one hour before returning to zero. the dial is divided (for the tachymeter) anti-clockwise from 60 (at the 12 o'clock position) backwards to 400 just slightly north of the 2 o'clock position.
The watch "manual" doesn't even mention the tachymeter let alone explain its use. One black mark to Citizen.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: a brief histoy of time...

It's for calculating speed.
Fixes: 47

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachymeter_%28watch%29
Edit: HP snuck in before me.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

One of those moments in life when one wishes the question hadn't been asked.
But thanks anyway Strat.............I think.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.

I had a Breitling watch years ago which had the same facility so I also found the Wiki link interesting.
Thanks for asking the question Smiley
Community Veteran

I bought myself a TI eZ430 Chronos for a treat for Christmas. It's a complete micocontroller system in a watch.
I don't normally wear watches but this has potential to do some interesting stuff Wink

I currently wear a Casio Edifice ECW-M300EDB-1AER which is fine until my little granddaughter presses buttons and puts me on Tokyo time Undecided
The oldest watch I have is a Wyler Tropical, bought by my father in Egypt during the last war and it still keeps good time when I wind it.
I did buy an Ingersoll pocket watch with saved pocket money in my late teens but refused to wear a waistcoat to go with it.
I later bought a Breitling chronograph which I loved but which suffered fatal damage in a ladder accident.
I have always worn a watch and find it odd that anyone doesn't.
Community Veteran

Re: a brief history of time...

I used to wear a watch religiously but when I swapped my job as an IT Manager for one as a househusband, didn't feel the need for one any more. I set my phone alarm to remind me to pick the kiddie up from school and that is really the only time I actually need to know what the time is.
Fixes: 125

Re: a brief history of time...

As I always have the mobile phone with me it negates the need for a watch.
SWMBO bought me one a couple of years ago and I keep forgetting to wear it. When I do actually put it on I always look at the mobile for the time forgetting I have the watch Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still