cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

a Question For Strat

pierre_pierre
Grafter

a Question For Strat

Can you tell me why the old rubbish on the first picture should cost between £4000 - £6000,
they are chipped and the paint is all scratched

On the other hand These look much better - cost about the same.

found in an old farm shed somewhere near where Rod Stewart lives (Saling Oak, Rayne)
Edit just remembered the shops name http://www.peachideas.com/

7 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: a Question For Strat

It depends on what make they are, who's owned them, how old they are, if they are custom built or off the shelf.
This one for example is about $4500 and is is a brand new replica of a somewhat knocked about '68 Stratocaster.
For some really expensive guitars take a look at the 2004 Crossroads Guitar Auction where Eric Clapton's 'Blackie' Strat was sold.
Bidding for Blackie starts at an impressive $100,000. The final winning bid comes in at a whopping $850,000

I'm very happy with my more mundane off the shelf Strat valued at less than £1000. Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
pierre_pierre
Grafter

one more small question, is your keyboard American or English  i.e. was that £ or $ as all you values came up as Dollars and not pounds
Just had time to read some more appears to be priced in Dollars.
Still my local is not bad for an old cow shed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

If you'll forgive me butting in before Strat; Fender actually produce guitars that are "artifically" aged with dinked paintwork, scratches, faded plastics etc.
But that doesn't however answer your question. the history of solid electric guitars is a fascinating one, and although they didn't produce the first (Rickenbacker did) Fender have been inextricably linked with the development of "affordable" electric guitars. The very early Fenders were almost individually thrown together from a great distance, producing as many bad ones as good. But they can be likened (if rather prosaically) to the qualities that make Stradivarius violins so desirable, their tone and sound improves with the ageing and quality of the materials they're made from, the same thing happens to solid guitars (but rather more with hollow body guitars)
It's their individuality, that makes older guitars so desirable (and expensive) modern guitars, are to some extent given the same specification the same sounding. Early Fenders (in particular) could have so many variables, thickness of paint, the quality of the timber of the body, the number of copper wire turns around the pick-ups, even the magnet pole pieces can be very different (magnetic power and length) and numerous other differences, that have proved almost impossible to recreate since.
Given the choice, I would sooner play a late 1950's Statocaster, than one made yesterday...if I could afford one. 

Edit, got interrupted typing this up, and Stat got in first after all.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

At Petlew, forgot you were a guitar man.  if you look at Peach site, how  can you, or should I say I, tell that it is not an original old one, is that not against trading standards.  Until you and Strat said that, I had no idea that the ones I saw might be brand new.  Embarrassed
Fixes: 47

Quote from: pierre_pierre
one more small question, is your keyboard American or English  i.e. was that £ or $ as all you values came up as Dollars and not pounds

The auction was in Manhattan and therefore in US Dollars. My purchase was in Leamington Spar hence UK Pounds.
There are sites such as this for checking serial numbers as every Fender guitar has one to my knowledge.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

On first viewing would be to check out the serial number, but to the trained eye (and I'm not saying I've got one of those) a newly produced artificially aged Fender just wouldn't look quite right, paint in particular if it isn't lacquered after application (most early Fenders weren't) loses their gloss in a way that can't be copied, the size and dot position on the neck (and this is an area of great debate among even Fender experts) would probably be wrong on a new build.
But plug it into an amplifier, and it would sound...just different.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

@Strat...
I wonder if you remember a TV documentary called "Curves, Contours and Body Horns" which was a celebration of the Fender Stratocaster? Googling the title brings up several instances for it, including a 619Mb download of it, but it doesn't download for me!! It requires Frostwire, which I already have anyway. Other links include the film broken up (most of it I think) into small chunks on You Tube.
Another documentary: "Twang Bang Kerang" a history of the electric guitar, which includes sections about Fender, Gibson, Rickenbacker and others, includes items by: Les Paul, Chet Atkins and many others, if you haven't seen it it's worth a look. I have it on DVD (from the original off-air on to VHS transferred to DVD) but still very watchable, if you fancy a copy let me know by PM. Googling this does not find anything watchable, I think I may have the only full copy in existence!! and mine includes the advert breaks as well, which is an education on it's own from 1981 ish!!