cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zero Calories

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Zero Calories

Some drinks claim they have either zero or less than 1% of calories so are such drinks actually bad for you taken in moderation ?
Standard drinks ie one average sized can, can contain up to three and a half teaspoons full of sugar so why not stick to the zero calorie version ?
17 REPLIES
Fixes: 124

Re: Zero Calories

Taste? Undecided
Luckily I don't need to worry about calorie intake but of any low calorie foods I have tried taste has never been as good.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

TORPC
Grafter

Low calorie stuff is mostly an acquired taste IMHO
WTF
Grafter

Don't think so - I've always like water  Wink
TORPC
Grafter

operative word being "Mostly" Wink
Community Veteran

Ahhh - the lovely artificial sweeteners they cram into zero calorie drinks.
In fact they are negative calorie drinks as they make me sick and give me a bad stomach so whatever is already in there rapidly isn't in there any more !
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Given the rise in type 2 diabetes, these are becoming more common, that and the fact that people are FINALLY realising that feeding kids sugary drinks/sweats just makes them hyper and destroys their teeth.
As a diabetic myself I couldn't drink a "normal" can of pop with 30g of sugar in it, for one thing it would put me to sleep and I find it just too sweet anyway. I even before I was diabetic would not drink coke (or similar) as they were just fizzy sugar water to me.
Community Veteran

I buy the value bottles of fizzy water from Tesco @ 17p for a 2L bottle.
The kiddie then adds a little of the squash of his choice for flavour. The rest of the day he drinks water.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

^^ Tightwad!! ^^

And that's a compliment coming from me!
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

More necessity - my stepson has ADHD and in the earlier days had to be kept off all sugary substances.
His treat was a weak blackcurrant squash or similar but obviously his friends all were allowed fizzy drinks. By adding his juice to fizzy water, he didn't feel left out.
He is now nearly 16 and still drinks it .......
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I quite like fizzy water with a little squirt of lemon or lime juice (not squash).
Sugary drinks do nothing for me and I prefer my kids not to have too much of them (though the Mrs. likes Cola so the kids also tend to drink that too)
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
TimeRider
Grafter

Choose youre nearest 'low fat' 'zero calorie' item, and research the ingredients, then make your own mind up. Some of them are so bad, the only way the body can process them is turning it into formaldehyde - mmmm no wonder it tastes so.... foul!
I'll not touch anything with artificial sweeteners. the early research into a sweetener called 'Stevia' (natural) looked promising - and it's now on our shelves in SOME products..
What we should have is the option of a sugar free  & NO CHEMICALS range... That way, the people with issues dealing with sugar as well as the lazy people would have an option.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

You do - it is called bottled water  Grin
kmilburn
Grafter

While some zero calorie drinks are fine (e.g. water), there are several reasons not to go for any drinks laden with artificial sweeteners.

• Studies Repeatedly Find Aspartame Causes Weight Gain

• Study Finds Aspartame Worsens Insulin Sensitivity

• Aspartame Raises Insulin Levels as Much as Sugar

• etc.

TORPC
Grafter

They know all about the chemicals
&
Still allow them food manufacturers to )POISON us(
Then there is the subliminal smells that supermarkets have been reported to put in their ventilation system (Fact or Fiction) you decide