cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zap that car texter...

Fixes: 125

Zap that car texter...

Well, not exactly but a new radar gun has been developed that can catch drivers using their phones while on the move.
Based around sensors used to detect radio emissions leaking from damaged electronic cables, the device could show police which cars are actively using mobile phone data.

Doesn't say how they will differentiate between drivers and passengers Undecided
The company says there are no real privacy concerns surrounding its proposal as the device cannot decode information such as text messages.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Zap that car texter...

Quote from: Mav
Doesn't say how they will differentiate between drivers and passengers Undecided

Or even if the driver is actually using his hands on the phone.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

1.  How many policemen actually catch anyone using a mobile phone
2. How much would one of these machines cost, at a time when Police forces are under considerable pressure to cut costs... e.g. Dorset Police are closing about 8 regional " front desks" and small offices.... even considering selling their HQ at Ferndown.....
3... would there be any more people actually caught and prosecuted?
4. if there were... would they actually refrain from using their phone on the move ?  I doubt it... as they know they have got away with it a million times before, and it was "just bad luck" ......
5. and, as an afterthought, they would need ANOTHER pouch on their uniform ( equipement belt )... to store the thing....
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

this guy was keen to get his man  Huh

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: billnotben
Quote from: Mav

Or even if the driver is actually using his hands on the phone.

I also had these thoughts as soon as I saw the article.
So if I'm using my bluetooth earpiece to talk on the phone while driving (as I did when i was once a cabbie - as did my colleagues) this device would pick that up and the police would based on their 'expert' advisors try to prosecute me or fine me for breaking the law - even though I did not.
Thing is bluetooth RF isn't strong like a mobile signal so they will assume that you were definitely on the phone.
The United Krumble... oh hang on it didn't. LOL
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
itsme
Grafter

and don't forget smartphones being used as Sat Nav with a data connection and other data collecting devices that use the mobile network to exchange data.
Community Veteran

And the police are getting so overwhelmed with information overload in their own vehicles that they don't concentrate on the road and end up in a ditch themselves.
TORPC
Grafter

where do / will they fit all the onboard computers to those on horseback / cycles / motorcycles / foot patrol ?Huh
Fixes: 47

Why not include a requirement for all learner drivers to be taught how to drive with one hand on the wheel and the other holding a phone or similar device.
Police drivers do it and allegedly receive special training so it can't be that difficult.
Wink
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
Police drivers do it

That's because they are special and have a certificate to prove it. Smiley
Fixes: 125

Cars can be adapted for people with disabilities to be able to be driven with one hand only...

... why don't they just make all cars that way?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still