Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zap-a-dee-doo-daa

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Zap-a-dee-doo-daa

Daily Mail...

Yet another thought provoking article !!!

In a 21st century world we are increasingly surrounded by Wi-Fi, yet there is no clear scientific consensus about its effects on our bodies.
However, a new experiment has shown these invisible signals - generated from mobile phones and laptops - could be causing serious damage to plants.
The latest experiment, which has been gaining the attention of researchers worldwide, has come from an unlikely source: a group of 15 year old students in Denmark.
Five girls from Hjallerup School began the experiment after noticing that when they slept with their mobile phones near their heads, they had trouble concentrating the next day.

So what's Wi-Fi doing to us?

Experiment finds that plants DIE when placed next to wireless routers
Plants and people have been shown to absorb radio signals Wi-Fi emits

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2524598/Experiment-finds-plants-die-placed-internet-r...

Is your Router, or Phone close by ?
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Zap-a-dee-doo-daa

I do believe that when the first steam engines started pulling passengers along, a speed restriction was imposed, because any speed faster than 12 mph and the passengers would explode....
Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Who SLEEPS with their mobile? Get a life people.
David_W
Rising Star

I agree McBiker.  The curves on tablets are much more desirable to sleep with  Crazy
RichAllen
Grafter

I'd much rather sleep with the curves on Terese Willis from Neighbours, OK I know that according to Wikipedia she turns 40 in January, but heck! I still would.
shalom2010
Grafter

If it's in the Daily Mail....it's got to be true  Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Hairy
Who SLEEPS with their mobile? Get a life people.

Only the folks who use them as alarm clocks or for emergency use (incoming or outgoing).
If you read the article, the experiment was carried out by 15 year old students in Denmark. They're unlikely to have any motive for or against mobile operators, wifi vendors etc.
The implications of their experiment are worrying. Not just because of the possible effects on us but because they have no motive to lie to us or hidden agenda - they're kids who don't want to make the same mistakes as older generations - IE us.
I personally do worry about too much wifi, mobile, bluetooth etc signals. My router is here on the desk. I can't put it anywhere else as the missus relies on it for her internet access but I am thinking about using the pi hooked up to a maplin usb board to login to it via http and allow me to turn it on/off with a button press instead of having to log in and do it manually.
At the time of the study, Marvin Ziskin, a professor of radiology and medical physics at Temple University in the U.S. said: 'Stuff like this has been around a long time . . . there's nothing new about Wi-Fi emissions. Scientifically there's no evidence to support that these signals are a cause for concern.’

Thats just the thing though, wifi hasn't been around that long. About 10 years or so and granted while there have always been radio amateurs and microwave links etc, we were not swimming in radio waves like we are now. If I go out into my street with the netbook I can pickup over 30 wifi networks all of which are actively transmitting and receiving and then the mobile phones too. 20 years ago there was none of that.
Quote from: shutter
I do believe that when the first steam engines started pulling passengers along, a speed restriction was imposed, because any speed faster than 12 mph and the passengers would explode....

Good point but steam isn't really comprised of electron sized bullets shooting through your DNA unlike radio waves.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

The steam was not the "prime" cause of travelling public exploding..... it was the speed that they (thought) the body could not endure.... and therefore would explode.... I.e...  simple things in simple minds....
I have my router about 3 feet from my head..  I am sitting in front of my laptop, about 2 feet from my head... for a good part of each day.... at least 12 hours... and I do not suffer from any problems..... (at least not that I know of.... ! ! !  )... I go to bed at midnite... and wake up at 7.30 am... every day...
If wifi was so damaging... surely I would have noticed some problems by now... Huh??
Seem to remember a lot of tosh about mobile phone masts and how they were going to send the locals mad.... not heard anything about them for about 10 years or more.... ? ? ?? 
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: shutter
(at least not that I know of.... ! ! !  ).
If wifi was so damaging... surely I would have noticed some problems by now... Huh??
Seem to remember a lot of tosh about mobile phone masts and how they were going to send the locals mad.... not heard anything about them for about 10 years or more.... ? ? ?? 

But thats the point. Nothing wrong that you know of. What happens one day when you suddenly realise that something isn't right and they diagnose a cancer? What then?
You are right about the phone masts arguement, we don't hear much about that now but we do hear a hell of a lot more about cancer and people dying from it. Strange thing that isn't it because it runs completely coincidentally alongside the fact that radio emissions in the last 15 years have increased exponentially.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
David_W
Rising Star

91% of Adults in the UK own a mobile phone.  Before phones were everywhere the adverts stated "1 in 3 will be affected by cancer".  If there was a direct relation between mobile phones and cancer, considering 91% of the Adult population has one, we would be in the middle of a cancer epidemic where we would wish for 1 in 3 because we would be up to 9 out of 10.
There is no scientific evidence that mobile phones (or Wi-Fi) cause any health issues for people.
http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/mobile-phone-safety/Pages/Introduction.aspx lists a few studies which showed no relation between cancer/mobiles, though the studies are only over a short term period of 15 years.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

its already been proven that any concentration of emitted electromagnetic waves cause tumours or other malformations in cells, despite the fact its been proven to do this the reports have been largely suppressed in favour of continued use, its a well known fact that anyone getting too close to a radio mast gets cooked when its active, similar effects happen at lower power settings (which is why S.A.R. ratings are used) but take a lot longer to occur, if your cumulative S.A.R levels are above a certain point your at risk (that means the combined effects of multiple sources) below that level its called "safe" because a healthy body (under the age of 50) will be able to regenerate any damage caused, of course few people are truly healthy.... the exact figures of S.A.R. are difficult to figure out and even more difficult to add together (even the professional body responsible for calculating them and issuing certificates has a 10% margin of error).
quite how the average joe on the street is meant to understand it all without a degree level education in electromagnetic bio interaction is somewhat baffling, and when you consider all the other laws designate th4e average person as too thick to work out how to choose there own browser for there computer of choice it seems even more bizarre that its possible to conduct a live experiment in such a way.
however it should be noted that atmospheric conditions change the values for signal ratios present  at any given time, and what is "safe" one full power one minute will be unsafe the next (because of reflection/refraction/absorption caused in the ionic layers) so either your going to worry about this stuff or your just going to use your gadgets and get on with life, if your going to worry about it then you will be best off investing in a bodysuit designed to shield against electromagnetic waves (but don't get one with gaps in or it will act as a cooker)
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

The same DM article also added that a major factor could be where the plants were placed, those next to the router may not have been getting sufficient light and this could have caused the plants to die.
It would be relatively easy to replicate this experiment under controlled conditions and thus prove whether or not it is factual.
Five girls having problems sleeping.........em.........not a very big sample is it ?
Thousands of people sleep with their phones close by but I have not seen any reports of them having problems sleeping unless they couldn't sleep because they were expecting a phone call !
Fixes: 125

I sleep with my mobile close but not under the pillow. I've had problems sleeping - but that started when I was born Wink
Don't think it's got any worse/better over the last 16 years.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Are you really, only 16 yrs old, Mav ?  Huh
Fixes: 125

I wish.
No, I meant the last 16 years since I had my first mobile (phone that is, not those dangly things over the cot Wink).

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still