Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your on line shopping may get problems?

jmd
Grafter

Your on line shopping may get problems?

Just seen this  http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7366995.stm?ism
Does it puts you off doing any on line shopping?
20 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Your on line shopping may get problems?

Yes, it is rather worrying but then life can be worrying too. I must be a tad lazy but I rather like the luxury of deciding what I want in the comfort of my own home, clicking the buttons and receiving it a few days later with no great effort on my part. Unusually for females, shopping is my one hated pastime - in fact I once had a (joking) proposal of marriage when I related this information to a gentleman whose wife was a confirmed shopaholic and regularly cleared out his bank account.  He found it impossible to believe that a woman could actually dislike shopping.
I would also hate to start queuing up in banks again (I haven't been inside one for over a year).
As we learned at the OD yesterday, nothing is 100% secure but we can control and manage things to a certain extent.
Long live the Internet I say and no, for the present, news like this will not put me off.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I doubt if it will put me off buying my ink cartridges etc "on line".... There appears to be very little that I could do about the problem anyway.  Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

This is even more concerning.
The updated <banking> code, which covers the banks' treatment of customers, came into effect last month and states that victims of online fraud must have up-to-date antivirus and antispyware software installed, plus a personal firewall, to claim redress from their banks. If you fail to have the correct protection in place, the banks are increasingly likely to refuse any claim for a refund.
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/money/consumer_affairs/article3809004.ece
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I'm a little intrigued to know how the banks would know otherwise if you replied "yes" to their (presumed) questions, even if you didn't have A/V etc. Do they have access to private information?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

But doesn't the requirement to install M$ allow the fraudsters an easy access to your PC?
Doesn't matter how much junk you pile on top... Smiley

Community Veteran

Please, Would you like to expand that theory, for those who do not know.... Undecided
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

OK - expanded theory -
according to http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/money/consumer_affairs/article3809004.ece
Banks are taking a harder line with customers who fall victim to internet fraudsters...
The minimum requirements

Online viruses and the software that protects your computer systems against them are littered with jargon, but here are the key definitions of what you need on your computer under the new Banking Code.
Firewall: a barrier between the public internet and your private computer system. It stops hackers breaking into your computer system. It can also stop some viruses, called worms, that spread from computer to computer over the internet.
Antivirus software: protects your computer from viruses, which can lead to identity theft, loss of data or a slow or unusable computer. Antivirus software scans incoming e-mails for attached viruses, monitors files as they are opened or created to make sure that they are not infected and performs periodic scans of your computer.
Antispyware: blocks spy viruses that allow fraudsters to view what you are doing online. Spy viruses scan your hard disk for private data, such as credit card numbers; log the keys you type, to obtain passwords or credit card numbers; and take screen shots of the websites that you visit, to capture personal information from them. Spyware then uploads the details to criminals over the internet. Spy viruses, known as Trojans, can be blocked with antispyware software, yet Apacs says that one in three people fails to install it.
Always buy software from reputable companies. If you download free software from the internet, exercise caution and download it from trusted websites.

My argument is that any OS that requires "add-ons" to achieve a modest level of security is one that is not worth having.
The Bankers appeared to think that M$ is in someway secure - so why would I have to buy 3rd party applications to protect it from harm?

Community Veteran

Quote from: axisofevil
But doesn't the requirement to install M$ allow the fraudsters an easy access to your PC?
Doesn't matter how much junk you pile on top... Smiley

In your quote above, I do not see any reference to "the requirement to install M$" by the banking services.  There is a reference to
Always buy software from reputable companies. If you download free software from the internet, exercise caution and download it from trusted websites.
unquote
but this does not say you must buy M$ OS....
Is Ubuntu  free?      Undecided      Is Linux  free    Undecided  If so, then I suggest you "exercise caution"    Wink  Roll eyes  Undecided 
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

Ubuntu / Debian / Linux is actually free in the following sense (taken from the license):-
When we speak of free software, we are referring to freedom, not price. Our General Public Licenses are designed to make sure that you have the freedom to distribute copies of free software (and charge for this service if you wish), that you receive source code or can get it if you want it, that you can change the software or use pieces of it in new free programs; and that you know you can do these things.

It is also (for virtually all software) free of charge.
I haven't actually ever bought any Linux software - but I do download my OS/software from a reputable source over a secure link.
I don't run a virus checker because I haven't got any virii to check.
I don't run a spyware checker for similar reasons.
If my router has a hardware firewall, why use a software firewall?
Virus checkers etc are normally associated with Microsoft.

Community Veteran

And I always find it interesting when we get to the *nix / MS security debate.
Any software which the world and its wives has access to the source code cannot claim to be the most secure Smiley
Whilst the amount of vulnerabilities in the wild are less, the reason for which are well documented, it doesnt make it any more secure.
/steps back and awaits a kicking from the pengiuns of this world Tongue
Community Veteran

If my router has a hardware firewall, why use a software firewall?

Thats a degree of complacency which I would never recommend to anyone who uses the internet, irrespective of OS.
Router firewalls generally do a reasonable job of protecting from inbound penetration, however what stops outbound attempts from your box? Nothing in that secario.
Never simply rely on a firewall which sits on a generic or standard router, go the extra mile and add the additional layer of protection aforded by a software firewall. No user will ever be 100% secure, short of having no connectivity at all, but the more we do to make life difficult for the blackhats of this world the less chance we have of being compromised.

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

Is there any evidence that a software firewall has ever stopped a malware event?
Obviously, if I'm granting executable rights to everything in sight then it's a useful bit of software, but if I act sensibly (and don't do that) a software firewall is just a piece of scareware.  Grin
I think OS arguments can run and run...

mcgurka
Grafter

Now, im not a penguin nut, but I do use linux one hell of a lot!
I just think there isnt the same level of interest in it (after all, its only till recently the home market was even given a choice) so why would people *want* to attack, it stands to reason there is less to gain!
I do believe unix and its variants to be more secure, mostly to do with the way it handles system resources... however, its only safe if its configured *properly*
Community Veteran

Is there any evidence that a software firewall has ever stopped a malware event?

I'm not even going to go there.
Looks like you're reading very different material to me and the security bods of this world. I'll leave you to your complacency Axis, but for anyone else reading this please take all and any available precautions when using the internet. Seek advice from us or the forums if in any doubt.
I just think there isnt the same level of interest in it

Totally agreed Scott and additionally those who use *nix are generally a bit more savvy but with more and more systems coming on general release with nix platforms that risk will increase.
I've a bit of a bee in my bonnet about system security and the degree of complacency which exists out there is frightening. I've always preached security and whilst users in general are becoming more aware, there are still far too many horror stories out there.
I recently spoke with a customer who had decided that the warnings popping up from their Firewall were such an inconvenience that they decided to remove it. The fact that the warnings related to a keylogger which had compromised their security didnt matter a jot. After further discussion, this person had also turned off their AV software as it annoyed the customer with its updates and scans and in addition had turned off Windows updates for similar reasons. To say I was horrified is putting it mildly. The person suffered financial loss over this but thankfully has learned a lesson.