cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your first choice for cosmetic surgery?

Community Veteran

Your first choice for cosmetic surgery?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-16510507
I can see the new customers queuing up now, given their commitment to patient care.  Undecided
Queuing up elsewhere, presumably.  Lips are sealed
23 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Your first choice for cosmetic surgery?

These companies used these implants because they were the cheapest or put another way they would make more profit by using them, yet they expect the taxpayer to bail them out by claiming they will go bust (sorry bankrupt)
Many firms go bankrupt through no fault of their own so what's special in this case ?
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
Many firms go bankrupt through no fault of their own so what's special in this case ?

My thoughts exactly when I was listening to their obviously affluent MD whingeing on TV how it wasn't his responsibility and he couldn't afford to remedy the problem.
"Tough".  Cry
(and what about your professional indemnity etc. insurance - or did you skimp on that too and pay it to yourself ....)
AND the surgeons have apparently said they'll work on these cases for free!
It would be slightly ironic if, as a result, that firm went what is colloquially know as "mammaries up".  Grin
Community Veteran

I don't think the NHS should pay to have the implants replaced.  A large number of these were done purely for cosmetic reasons and the NHS should not now be expected to pay.  The private clinics would have been insured for such eventualities.
I think the NHS is being extremely fair in offering free removals of the implants.
CX
Grafter

Women fitted with implants by the NHS for breast reconstruction can have their implants removed and replaced by the NHS.

That sounds fair to me.
Community Veteran

@CX23882, just to clarify I was referring to implants fitted privately.  The NHS has already stated they will replace any fitted by them.
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
  The NHS has already stated they will replace any fitted by them.

Not exactly.
I think they've said they will do that if after a medical assessment it's agreed to be appropriate.
I don't think anyone who has one, no matter what state it is in, can demand that just because the NHS fitted it.
And I don't understand why you would want to either without a good medical reason; surgery under general anaesthetic is risky enough as it is.  Cry
Community Veteran

This is the statement from the Health Secretary.

Community Veteran

Sounds eminently reasonable.
Not sure exactly when that was, but I've just heard a BBC report saying that the NHS will attempt to recover costs from private providers who refuse to "do the right thing" by their patients.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

The cost of operations for remedial replacement of the implants should be covered by the Professional Indemnity insurance of the private medical companies. After all it was the consultants who chose the devices to be implanted.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Fixes: 47

The Harley Medical Group, which fitted more PIP breast implants than any other UK cosmetic surgery firm, says it will not replace them free of charge.
It claimed replacing the banned implants would put the company out of business.

Tough! They took and gamble and it didn't pay off.
He said the government must accept "moral responsibility"

Who do they think they are.....Financial Institutions? Roll eyes
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Quote from: AlaricAdair
should be covered by the Professional Indemnity insurance of the private medical companies.

Indeed, but as I wondered about the specific company in question...
Quote from: HPsauce
and what about your professional indemnity etc. insurance - or did you skimp on that too and pay it to yourself
Community Veteran

I wonder if it was the clinic or the surgeon who decided which implant to use.  This clinic did 13,900 of these implants over a 9 year period so it is possibly the clinic that selected it and the surgeons just carried out the surgery.
The British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons and the British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons, has called for surgeons to offer their time for free when operating on patients with PIP implants.
Community Veteran

He said the government must accept "moral responsibility"

Sounds like those Harley Street chaps didnt have appropriate insurance against this kind of eventuality. If they all sold their Bentley's, bought a new Fiesta, I wonder how many operations that would pay for from the money left over?
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran

I think all medical professionals have to have indemnity insurance as part of their conditions to practice.