cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your chance to be honest.

Bob_Milton
Grafter

Your chance to be honest.

I show this quote as a reminder of the guidelines for this section of the forum.
An off-topic and easy going forum for non PlusNet related items and general social chat or humour within the rules of the board

I know that many people look at a new item, read it, but do not very often make a contribution. I ask that all of you who read this particular topic give thought to answering a couple of questions.
You will be aware that as you compose an entry in a topic, you have the facility to 'preview' your contribution.
Do you ever use that facility?
Do you ever feel the need to check your spelling and/or grammar?
There, as the man said, that didn't hurt did it?
Edit.
Thanks James, but how about replies to the questions?
48 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Re: Your chance to be honest.

I can see at least one missing comma in that post Smiley
Personally I never use the preview feature unless I'm adding some links and random code to make sure that I've done it properly, otherwise I'll just scan my post before posting it.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Quote from: Bob
Do you ever use that facility?
No.
Quote from: Bob
Do you ever feel the need to check your spelling and/or grammar?
I usually have a quick re-read of what I have typed in the "Post reply" box before hitting the Post button. My spelling and grammar have never been great, and no amount of me re-reading my posts will spot some mistakes.  Any official documents I write (CV's, application forms, official announcements and the like), I get other people to proof read (or sometime re-write the details I have writen) before they are sent/published.
Phil
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

So why don't you use Firefox with the built in spell checker - picks up all sorts of typo's
N/A

I'm similar in approach to Mr B on this one.
Most of the time I use quick-reply and just type in a short response - only when my missive reaches epic proportions or contains lots of code do I feel the need to use preview (although I often preview the Mods notes before I leave them, wouldn't want to mis-format one of them now would I!).
Superuser
Superuser

I do on some of my systems.
Community Veteran

I sometimes use the preview button, but mostly check spelling and grandma sorry grammar and make corrections before posting.
I do have a problem with English.  The problem is that most English people don't know how to speak or write it. Huh
John
N/A

I have to confess that I always use the preview box to check spelling and grammar.  I even go back and edit if I am not satisfied when it appears on the screen.
I like to see good spelling and grammar - I think that this comes from my schooldays (many moons ago) and is probably a bit old-fashioned now.
Also, of course, many people do not have the time to be particular about this and after all, it is the content which really matters.
nadger
Rising Star

Have to say that I do use "preview" most of the time.
Community Veteran

I rarely use preview, but I generally read through before posting, and then read through after posting.
However, using a built-in spell checker reminds me of the following poem:
ODE TO A SPELL CHECKER
by Jerrold H Zar
I have a spelling checker.
It came with my PC.
It plane lee marks four my revue
Miss steaks aye can knot sea.
Eye ran this poem threw it,
Your sure reel glad two no.
Its vary polished in it's weigh.
My checker tolled me sew.
A checker is a bless sing.
It freeze yew lodes of thyme.
It helps me right awl stiles two reed,
And aides me when aye rime.
Each frays come posed up on my screen
Eye trussed too be a joule.
The checker pours o'er every word
To cheque sum spelling rule.
Bee fore a veiling checker's
Hour spelling mite decline,
And if we're lacks oar have a laps,
We wood bee maid to wine.
Butt now bee cause my spelling
Is checked with such grate flare,
Their are know fault's with in my cite,
Of nun eye am a wear.
Now spelling does knot phase me,
it does knot bring a tier.
My pay purrs awl due glad den
With wrapped word's fare as hear.
To rite with care is quite a feet
Of witch won should bee proud,
And wee mussed dew the best wee can,
Sew flaw's are knot aloud.
Sow ewe can sea why aye dew prays
Such soft wear four pea seas,
And why eye brake in two averse
Buy righting want too pleas.
B.
Fixes: 105

I don't never use the preview like, innit?
Whatz speelingz n gramma?
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Hmm, I posted a different version of that here - I wonder how they came to be different.
To answer the questions, as with other people I tend to just use the preview facility if I think there's a particular need for it, e.g. after writing a very long reply or using code or something like that. I don't do a special check for spelling and grammar; I just rely on me spotting an error as I write if I make one. Although I think once or twice I have made an error and not immediately spotted it until after I wrote the post, in which case as soon as I realised I went back and edited it.
geewizz
Grafter

I use the preview window from time to time. Generally I only use it if I want to add in some code retrospectively or to find a suitable smiley. \o/
I quite often post first and then check it over afterwards. I tend to scan it again once it is posted to check for any improvements I could make. Something which may be hidden by the wrap in the composition window may become more obvious with the different text box size on the final post.
I have to admit that I have a personal problem with my own attitude to poor spelling and grammar, especially when it results in someone else misunderstanding what I have written, simply because they don't understand sentence construction. That really is my problem though and I'm still learning how to deal with situations like that in a patient manner.
Whilst I don't consider it funny or clever to pick up on every mistake a person makes, conversely I find it ridiculous when someone is picked on by the masses in a forum for pointing out a slip that is genuinely amusing.
I've come over all poetic now ...
If you can post your thoughts in words,
You'll best be understood
By putting commas everywhere,
And masking all that's rude.
Take care with words, don't cross the line
Avoid that careless lapse,
Double entendres, smut and jibes
All carefully under wraps.
Otherwise just sail along
In stern and earnest tones
You'll never cause offence to them
Or break their funny bones.

Edit : Dammit! Everyone's a bloody poet. Sad
geewizz
Grafter

I forgot to mention, I like the topic title. It implies that you think we are all habitual liars. Grin
Superuser
Superuser

Either that or he thinks a lot us of are politicians!  Saying that it amounts to about the same thing!  Tongue
Phil