cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your Sat-Nav knows best.

Fixes: 47

Your Sat-Nav knows best.

67-year-old Sabine Moreau originally planned to drive 38 miles to Solre-sur-Sambre in Belgium to pick up a friend from the station, the Daily Mail reports, but when her sat-nav decided to take the scenic route, she ended up some 900 miles away in Zagreb, Croatia.
  Grin
http://recombu.com/cars/articles/news/woman-blindly-follows-satnav-through-six-countries
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
20 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Your Sat-Nav knows best.

I'm just amazed that anyone should be that reliant on a sat-nav to that extent, shouldn't they have twigged after a couple of hundred miles (or much less) that something was probably wrong. Apart from anything else there can't be many cars that will go 900 miles without refuelling, surely the driver could at least have mentioned that something seemed wrong.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

She should probably give up her driving licence!
Community Veteran

That old dear should give up driving.
Such was her faith in the sat-nav, she failed to realise she had driven through six countries with different languages on the road signs. She stopped multiple times to refuel and, incredibly, even parked up in a lay-by for a few hours to sleep. When asked whether the length of her journey seemed strange, Moreau said: "Maybe, but I was just preoccupied... I was a bit absent-minded as I had a few things to think about, I suppose."

She must be on Fuller's Earth 'cos she sure ain't on this earth!
Geoff,
York.
shalom2010
Grafter

I wonder hoe much petrol that is in Croatian money? Smiley
Fixes: 121

If she was that preoccupied she drove 900 miles through 6 countries she really shouldn't have been driving in the first place.
If there wasn't the Euro then she would have noticed that something was wrong the first time she tried to fill up and her money wasn't accepted Cheesy
One thing I don't get, though, are there no border controls within the EU? Wouldn't she have had to show her passport or other details and then think 'why do I need to show that when visiting a local town'?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Border controls do not exist in Europe.  Countries that signed up to the Schengen Agreement allow free passage without any restrictions.  We were one of the few EU countries not to sign up.
Fixes: 121

Quote from: artmo
Border controls do not exist in Europe.

Of course, don't even know why I thought that Embarrassed
My only excuse was lack of sleep last night due to a bad belly Sad

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

A sik-mav then Roll eyes

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
JamesM
Grafter

Border controls do not exist in Europe.  Countries that signed up to the Schengen Agreement allow free passage without any restrictions.  We were one of the few EU countries not to sign up.

.....and that still doesn't stop them coming in.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

We finally retired our old Vauxhall Sintra and replaced it with an Audi A6 Avant (2012 reg). The new car comes with in-built Sat-Nav. Fortunately I kept the Tom-tom Live device I'd bought for the Sintra. The SatNav in the Audi is hopeless compared with the TomTom.  Sat Nav systems can vary considerably in performance and quality of results. The Audi SatNav has the annoying habit of telling to take a turn just after you've past it. Once the Audi SatNav locked itself into a circular route... take a left, take a left, take a left....
I've named the TomTom after my wife, but the Audi SatNav is named after my mother-in-law.  I wish the MIL would end up in Zagreb.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Infinity
Pro

I use an older Garmin Sat-Nav, never let me down yet.
[ Used in conjunction with looking out of the car windows !! ]
As a trial, I used a Sat-Nav app on my Smartphone....
Just as accurate, but slightly slower with instructions, a couple of seconds or so.
But, as a backup, works well.
My third backup is Map-Nav.
( Harder to read as my eyesight becomes more long-sighted, and the fonts are so small ! )
Community Veteran

Quote from: AlaricAdair
kept the Tom-tom Live device I'd bought for the Sintra.

Indeed, I also use a TT Live (820) after a series of constantly unreliable (technically rather than directionally) Navman's and very good the Tom Tom is too, got mine with free lifetime updates, hardly a week goes by without several updates being available for it.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

True but they still do roadside checks and check your passport if you're foreign! I went through germany a few years ago and they had roadside diversion checks in 3 or 4 places where all the traffic was forced off the motorway and they'd select the cars they were interested in. Needless to say, being a british car we got their attention every time lol. I don't recall it happening anywhere else though..
Quote from: AlaricAdair
Vauxhall Sintra

I had to look that up on google images as I'd never heard of it lol
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I don't do much driving in Europe but I've never been stopped nor seen any checks on vehicles whilst driving.  Maybe there was some specific reason for your checks.