cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Younger generation

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Younger generation

Was recently watching a documentary on Japan where it was said that most of the younger generation had given up any attempt to match or improve on what their parents had achieved as the current climate irrespective of how hard they worked or what qualifications they held the opportunities offered to their parents no longer existed.
Even more ironic is that this is a country sinking deeper into debt despite a strong work ethic, respect and care for an older generation and strong restrictions of only allowing into the country those who can make a positive contribution to Japan.
Are there lessons in this for us ?
37 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Younger generation

Yes.... It seems that having a good work ethic,... looking after the "old folk"... ( ? ) with respect and care... etc... is pointless, as it only leads the country into a debt situation....
so,... the lesson for us is... stay at home... don`t do anything. forget about the "old folk" and carry on with having no respect for people or property... and letting all and sundry come into the country, regardless of how little they can contribute...... ..... and we shall be OK.. 
( erm !...... isn`t that where we are now  ? ? ? ?  )  Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

From my POV it's the same here too. Little opportunity for my generation at all unless you have a good family to support you. Many of my generation came from the 80s recession, single parents, etc.
I've worked my backside off in many jobs and it never got me anywhere but it did get me into a lot of trouble. At one place they ended up sacking a couple of people who kept creating trouble for me and the bosses actually started to wake up and realise I wasn't at fault and actually started to give me slightly less greif until something bad happened again and then naturally it was my fault because it had been before!
Gotta be honest, with the employment opportunities out there these days there is no hope for many of my generation and the younger ones. Housing deposits are out of reach for many of us stuck in rented accomodation and the only thing many of us can hope for is a rise in interest rates that will put many landlords out of business and see properties auctioned off cheap. Even if that happens though, mortgages will become a lot harder to obtain so it's still an impossible struggle.
I sometimes think it would be easier to go and live in the desert  Crazy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
RichAllen
Grafter

It's the same in the jobs market, with my experience and qualifications, I've been told I should go for Office gofer type roles, but the problem with that is that most of those jobs advertised locally, ask for kids out of School with all their GCSEs, the only GCSE I have is English and I had to go back to College to get that.
JamesM
Grafter

abandon all hope ye who were born here (especially in the North)  Wink
I have always admired the Japanese for their culture of respecting their elders, here in the UK most of the younger generation (or any generation really) have no respect for anybody, or anything.
rja66
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

There was a news story last week where evidently a young women was told by the jobcentre to remove her degree from her CV as it is 'likely to be putting potential employers off'. What sort of a message does this send out to the younger generation?
At least japan does have a strong work ethic (although contrary to popular belief there are still many in the UK that do actually want to work but can't find jobs) and they do care for the elderly a lot more than we seem to. We are more keen to support those that have never paid into the system. (Sorry, that is another debate  Huh)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

It depends on the position she was applying for
If she was massively over qualified for it then it was good advice as employers would tend to assume that she was only going for it as a temporary fill in while she was looking for a more suitable position
RichAllen
Grafter

That's the thing, contrary to what the Daily Fail readers on Sheffield Forum say about me, I actually WANT to work, but because laws that are supposed to protect the disabled against discrimination don't work (IMO, see my thread re the DDA from last week)  and I'm too old for the entry level "Office gofer" jobs I should apply to, I can't get a job.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Oldjim
If she was massively over qualified for it then it was good advice as employers would tend to assume that she was only going for it as a temporary fill in while she was looking for a more suitable position
Not sure how you could leave out the fact you had a degree, how would you account for the 3 year period when you were taking the degree ?
I accept there are various routes to getting a degree but for most people it would be full time for 3 years.
Stretching it further you could also say by not disclosing a degree you were providing misleading information by omission to gain an advantage ?
Community Veteran

what's this?  another  "diss da yoof" thread?  did you not get enough dissing when y'all was yoof?  every generation gets it from the preceding generation and so it gets passed on.
when the elders quit dissing the youth, then, maybe, they'll be worth a little respect.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Oldjim

Hang on OJ, you're a qualified engineer aren't you?
Would you remove that from your CV and apply for a job at McDonalds or Poundland?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

I wouldn't apply for a job there in the first place but that isn't relevant to the discussion
But I would say that if I had to choose between somebody who met the qualifications for a position and somebody who was grossly over qualified then I would normally choose the one who met the qualifications as they were more likely to settle in and enjoy the work unless the over qualified person had a very good reason for wanting to take that type of position.
RichAllen
Grafter

Back in 1998 when I was on the Dole, I applied to the local Co Op in Sheffield, set myself an interview up with the Manageress, went down smartly dressed and carrying my record of achievement from School and College, she turned round and told me to my face that shop work was beneath me and I was over-qualified, pardon? I'd just spent the last 2 years in Sheffield College doing NVQ courses in retail, if I didn't want to do shop work for a career, why would I have done that?
Also, she said they exclusively used women on the checkouts, and I wanted to do customer service, as with my bad back, I can't really do shelf stacking, all that heavy lifting etc, I probably should've challenged this as even in 1998 it was probably illegal under various sexual discrimination laws.
I officially give up, what with stupid advisors from Remploy sending me for heavy lifting jobs in the Post Office, and this, I wonder if I will ever get meaningful paid work, and I've done disabled specific jobs, the "pay" is an insulting £6 a week.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

@RichAllen
why don't you become a teacher ? there's dyslexics being trained as teachers (which I find bloody hilarious) I cant see why someone who's actually able to get a gcse would struggle to be taken on unless you have some criminal history that prevents it Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
RichAllen
Grafter

It's not just the GCSE you need mate, to be a teacher you need Degrees etc, and even if I could do a mature student course at Sheffield Uni, I don't think I'd pass the entry requirements.
Besides which, I'd be no good as a teacher unless it was adult education, I'd be giving the kids detentions all the time and marking down their homework because I'm very pedantic about spelling and grammar.