Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Young people say they have nothing to live for says Prince's Trust

RichAllen
Grafter

Young people say they have nothing to live for says Prince's Trust

Topic.
Can't find any links to back up my story but it was on the tea time news.
Young people aged 16 to 25 feel they have nothing to live for because they can't get jobs etc.
It said on the news that 32% of people in that age group felt suicidal or had suicidal tendencies.
Thoughts?
A long time ago I did a Prince's Trust course in Sheffield, and if today's courses are anything like what I did back then, I'm not surprised youngsters wanna top themselves.
23 REPLIES
myredhotcar
Grafter

Re: Young people say they have nothing to live for says Prince's Trust

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

If I recollect correctly the local unemployment rate was 14% when I got my first job at age 19.  I literally had to get on my bike and ride to the next town.
Things are not as bad nowadays, just expectations have changed.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I think it's higher than 32% if I'm honest.
I'm in my 30's. I was diagnosed officially with depression at around the age of 19 / 20. In truth I'd been suffering with it a lot longer but never realised it.
I was suffering with it before the rest of the nation even gave it a second thought. Thats how **** my life was and has continued to be. Even when I had work my living expenses meant I couldn't really 'live' a life and thats just as depressing as not working and having no life.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
myredhotcar
Grafter

@AlaricAdair: I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah  Wink
Community Veteran

My Son (who has Aspergers) recently went on a Princes Trust course and landed himself a job working with people with disabilities.
Its not all doom and gloom Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

@RedHot I can't say I'm surprised.  Wink
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Quote from: myredhotcar
@AlaricAdair: I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah  Wink

People like you ridiculing the problem certainly help Wink
myredhotcar
Grafter

Strictly speaking that was satire
RichAllen
Grafter

Still not appropriate on a serious thread IMO.
dick:quote
Community Veteran

Quote from: picbits
My Son (who has Aspergers) recently went on a Princes Trust course and landed himself a job working with people with disabilities.

Well done to your son for getting himself a job.  Some people should learn from his example.
myredhotcar
Grafter

@AlaricAdair: I could resist it not  Roll eyes
@RichAllen: says the man who spams almost every thread with "Terese, I know she turns 40 in 3 weeks according to Wikipedia, but heck! I still would."
If mild humour is that much of an issue what are you doing on the forum that comes with the "may contain atrocious puns" disclaimer?
Community Veteran

@RichAllen: says the man who spams almost every thread with "Terese, I know she turns 40 in 3 weeks according to Wikipedia, but heck! I still would."

Grin
Or calls people post count whores while running up a significant number of posts himself.. then arguing quality not quantity!  Roll eyes
RichAllen
Grafter

I do NOT spam.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: artmo
Quote from: picbits

Well done to your son for getting himself a job.  Some people should learn from his example.

Whilst I am in general agreement with the above .....
For some, no matter how hard they try,... no matter how many application forms they fill in... no matter how many interviews they attend from the job centre... they still do not seem to be able to "fit in" with the employers criteria....
It is a long time since I was looking for work,... but I do remember the frustration of filling in those forms, and not getting any response... not even a " thank you we got your form but you are not included in the selection process"... or on actually getting an interview, being told.... we`ll let you know... and you sit at home ( metaphorically ) waiting and hoping, and then the despair sets in when you finally realise they lied to you... and have not bothered to write and tell you you failed.. which brings on the depression,........ considering yourself a failure and not being recognised as such.... just brings on more depression.... so.. stop putting all int the same basket of "workshy"...and as for depression....... as a " well it wasn`t like that in my day" attitude.... and "it is much better and easier to get a job if you want one, nowadays..."  Oh no, it certainly isn`t.... qualifications of higher education can be a good thing... but it is knowing where you "fit in" to the employers criteria, as to whether you eventually become employed or not.....  Those same qualifications can be a barrier to getting work too... so how do you advise young people about further education vs job prospects?
There was an interview with a guy on that programme.... he had completed thousands of application forms ( as described above) ... and he could not get work...  no wonder he was depressed and contemplated suicide..... fortunately for my personal circumstances... I did not get to sink to that level of depression.  He eventually found work with a charity helping other out of work, and homeless people... but that is not the solution to his employment problems.... and not everyone can do the same thing... he was "lucky" it happened that way.... it covers his most immediate mental health situation, and helps him to get back to a "normal" style of life..